Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Newbie - door auto lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Brettl
I know it’s minor and first world problems, but it’s kind of a pain in the *** to pull the handle twice to open, especially when you expect it to open on the first pull.
when pulling up to a curb to quickly pick someone (a kid at school for instance) and they can’t open the door, then as the driver you get a bit flustered for a second while you realize they can’t open the door, and you have to think where the unlock button is. Meanwhile the ******* behind you is honking, your kids giving you the WTF look and the traffic lady glaring at you like, ‘what are you, an idiot?’
We’d just rather avoid that whole scenario, and we don’t really live in the fear that so many perpetuate. We are pretty cognizant of our surroundings and do lock the doors when we go into questionable areas.
Don't your doors unlock when you put it in Park?
Old 03-02-2024, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

I know it’s minor and first world problems, but it’s kind of a pain in the *** to pull the handle twice to open, especially when you expect it to open on the first pull.
when pulling up to a curb to quickly pick someone (a kid at school for instance) and they can’t open the door, then as the driver you get a bit flustered for a second while you realize they can’t open the door, and you have to think where the unlock button is. Meanwhile the ******* behind you is honking, your kids giving you the WTF look and the traffic lady glaring at you like, ‘what are you, an idiot?’
We’d just rather avoid that whole scenario, and we don’t really live in the fear that so many perpetuate. We are pretty cognizant of our surroundings and do lock the doors when we go into questionable areas.
Don’t know where you live but I have heard of people being hijacked, even in good neighborhoods. This whole scenario you pointed out would take about 1 second. I would hope your kids would know better than to think WTF after 1 second. Or the traffic lady think you’re an idiot after 1 second. Sounds like your nice area has a lot of very impatient people.
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyJ (04-21-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
Don’t know where you live but I have heard of people being hijacked, even in good neighborhoods. This whole scenario you pointed out would take about 1 second. I would hope your kids would know better than to think WTF after 1 second. Or the traffic lady think you’re an idiot after 1 second. Sounds like your nice area has a lot of very impatient people.
I think I stumbled into the wrong forum. A few kind people have chimed in on the question I had (thank you) and a bunch more have taken the route of scolding me for our choices & preferences.
that’s not what I’m here for, I’m here asking a question about a product that we have a mutual bond over, was hoping that’s what I would have found.
I bet this forum will be fun as we get closer to the US election!
Scotty (UK) (03-03-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think I stumbled into the wrong forum. A few kind people have chimed in on the question I had (thank you) and a bunch more have taken the route of scolding me for our choices & preferences.
that’s not what I’m here for, I’m here asking a question about a product that we have a mutual bond over, was hoping that’s what I would have found.
Hopefully the moderator will keep politics off this forum.
Old 03-02-2024, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

I believe you can change how it works with OBDeleven but I have never tried it. I did switch mine to ROW settings so my doors unlock when you turn the car off rather than put the transmission into park

the settings are under Comfort System(46)

Brettl (03-02-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I’ve looked , can’t find it so I will ask here. I want the car to not unlock when put in park. It’s a safety issue for my wife. Any way to do that?
Old 04-20-2024, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I’ve looked , can’t find it so I will ask here. I want the car to not unlock when put in park. It’s a safety issue for my wife. Any way to do that?
See my post above. You need to set “automatic unlock NAR” to not active
Old 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by toomanymc
See my post above. You need to set “automatic unlock NAR” to not active
Thanks. I don’t do that stuff and the dealer can’t or won’t do it. I asked.
Old 04-20-2024, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. I don’t do that stuff and the dealer can’t or won’t do it. I asked.
dealers do have the capability to do it but they won’t for reasons.

if you don’t want to mess around with coding I would check with any local VW or Audi independent shop or Audi/VW tuner. They all have at the very least VCDS and can easily make this change for you(show them this post if needed).
in the past before I got my own scan tool I did it this way and they typically charged me 30 minutes of labor

Last edited by toomanymc; 04-20-2024 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-20-2024, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by toomanymc
dealers do have the capability to do it but they won’t for reasons.

if you don’t want to mess around with coding I would check with any local VW or Audi independent shop or Audi/VW tuner. They all have at the very least VCDS and can easily make this change for you(show them this post if needed).
in the past before I got my own scan tool I did it this way and they typically charged me 30 minutes of labor
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Newbie - door auto lock