Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

MA: Hissing sound during acceleration on brand new Q5 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Evs
Hi there, I gave up on Audi over this issue. According to them car is not reporting any error when diagnostics is done. Having said that, the noise is clearly there. Interestingly, it is more pronounced after engine gets warm, e.g. some 15mins into the drive and always when it is about to reach 2000rpm range.
As stated before, in the meantime, I placed an order for new BMW X3, awaiting delivery.
Very disappointing experience with both product and support, after having driven Audis since 20 years.
Hope you will have more luck! Let us know!
Wow, not surprising they didn't find anything. I haven't taken mine to the shop yet, but I'm sure I will have to find time to. Mine is still happening, so we shall see. Thanks for the update too.
The following users liked this post:
rs013 (10-04-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What country are you? 40 TDI? Diesel! I don't think they are allowed to get here in US and Canada.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:27 AM
Evs
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwrt
What country are you? 40 TDI? Diesel! I don't think they are allowed to get here in US and Canada.
Morocco. But I am starting to read issues being reported from some other users too (https://www.reddit.com/r/Audi/commen..._accelerating/). What is interesting is that it is being observed in both diesel TDI and petrol TFSI. Would it mean that it is more to do with insulation? Unless they do have same turbocharger, or??
Old 09-26-2022, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it may be a boost leak somewhere.

Easy enough to make a boost leak tester/adapter and hook it up to the turbo inlet and pressurize with a small compressor. Spray soapy water on all of the pressurized connections and rubber and look for bubbles. I have seen the rubber upper/lower intercooler hoses split open before on other boosted applications. Impossible to see until you pressurize the system.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by teto4sure
Wow, not surprising they didn't find anything. I haven't taken mine to the shop yet, but I'm sure I will have to find time to. Mine is still happening, so we shall see. Thanks for the update too.
Just curious if you’re still experiencing the issue and has a chance to take it to the dealer.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same issue (2022 Q5 45 Prestige). I took my car to the dealership and it went down like this:
1. Asked for a drive with a tech before checking the car in.
2. During the drive, the tech was like “oh yah, that’s way to loud, sounds like the the hose is disconnected.” When we pulled over, he looked at it (probably thinking he will be able to point out the issue right away) and didn’t see anything wrong.
3. Car checked in
4. A few days later they called me with an update - they are testing the seal / air tightness of all components but it will take some more time. Apparently they were vacuum-seal testing it or something like that..
5. Finally they called me that they tested all and all components have nominal parameters. Then they said they test drove another new car of the same specs and it has the same sound, therefore it must be normal. Got the car back.

I want to test drive another car myself at a different dealership because I just struggle to believe this is normal in a 60k car.

One thing that did not make sense to me - i understand that testing the seal with vacuum (negative pressure) may be a bit simpler but that’s the opposite condition that’s inside those pipes. I could imagine how some leak may be in one way only.

Finally, I am curious- those with Q5 45 2022-23. How is your mpg? I feel like mine is significantly worse than it should be. My city mpg is around 15-18. Highway goes to 25-ish and combined is 19-20. I drive the car in regular mode (not sport). One thing that goes against me, I have the black optic package, which also upgrades tires to 255/20.

While my car was in the shop, I drove 2020 Q5 and it was a dramatically different experience. That car just wanted to go at all times. Way different feel that mine. I wonder if this is all part of it and I’m also losing some performance with that hissing?
Chasboland (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Mm404
I have the same issue (2022 Q5 45 Prestige). I took my car to the dealership and it went down like this:
1. Asked for a drive with a tech before checking the car in.
2. During the drive, the tech was like “oh yah, that’s way to loud, sounds like the the hose is disconnected.” When we pulled over, he looked at it (probably thinking he will be able to point out the issue right away) and didn’t see anything wrong.
3. Car checked in
4. A few days later they called me with an update - they are testing the seal / air tightness of all components but it will take some more time. Apparently they were vacuum-seal testing it or something like that..
5. Finally they called me that they tested all and all components have nominal parameters. Then they said they test drove another new car of the same specs and it has the same sound, therefore it must be normal. Got the car back.

I want to test drive another car myself at a different dealership because I just struggle to believe this is normal in a 60k car.

One thing that did not make sense to me - i understand that testing the seal with vacuum (negative pressure) may be a bit simpler but that’s the opposite condition that’s inside those pipes. I could imagine how some leak may be in one way only.

Finally, I am curious- those with Q5 45 2022-23. How is your mpg? I feel like mine is significantly worse than it should be. My city mpg is around 15-18. Highway goes to 25-ish and combined is 19-20. I drive the car in regular mode (not sport). One thing that goes against me, I have the black optic package, which also upgrades tires to 255/20.

While my car was in the shop, I drove 2020 Q5 and it was a dramatically different experience. That car just wanted to go at all times. Way different feel that mine. I wonder if this is all part of it and I’m also losing some performance with that hissing?
That sounds really low. My SQ5 has an overall average of 23.1 (I use Fuelly) for almost 2 years now. That's probably 90% suburban driving. Only been on a couple of long trips, mostly due to Covid, and driving 70 on the highway I'll get right at 30. Yours should do quite a bit better, I think. I drive fairly conservatively most of the time, and use the "Auto" setting, but occasionally pull the gear selector back for sport, and even run in Dynamic on occasion.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I bought an ex-loaner 2022 Q5 45 TFSI. Recently I started having the hissing sound as well. Sounds like no one was able to get the dealer to fix it? Any success stories? Or is it well established now that this is normal?
Old 05-22-2023, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Normal.

I can get my ‘23 SQ5 to do this consistently under part throttle boost in all drive modes. If you want to make it stop, either don’t accelerate quite so hard or just go full bore and put your foot through the floor board.
Q5TFSI338 (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5TFSI338
Hello, I bought an ex-loaner 2022 Q5 45 TFSI. Recently I started having the hissing sound as well. Sounds like no one was able to get the dealer to fix it? Any success stories? Or is it well established now that this is normal?
Yeah, never found any issues at the dealer. I'm used to it now, but it is annoying sometimes. I've had multiple Audi turbos and this is the first with the sound. No other issues though.
Q5TFSI338 (05-22-2023)

Quick Reply: MA: Hissing sound during acceleration on brand new Q5 diesel