Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Interior rattles '21 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Interior rattles '21 Q5

Got the car in November of last year and after 12k miles it sounds like a 30 year old stagecoach bus. Random creaks, rattles and buzzing noises seem to be coming from everywhere. It would be extremely difficult to pinpoint or bring up to the dealer's attention as there is no one major noise source, just many random ones throughout the interior. I really wanted to like this car and was hoping to keep it for many years, but I'm not sure how much longer I can endure this. The car just does not feel solid. It's my 5th Audi and definitely the worst when it comes to interior rattles. I really don't enjoy the car any more because of this and don't know what to do. Trading it in for a different brand would mean a huge hit. I imagine it will only get worse, especially when temps drop in the winter. Anyone else or am I the only unlucky one here?
The following users liked this post:
austinC6 (09-07-2022)
Old 08-04-2021, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

No rattles here, 3500 miles in 10 months. You have up to 12 month from delivery to have the dealer check on rattles and such, might be worth a try.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds like really bad luck. I have 27K on my 2018 Q5 and it's been rattle-free. Could the dealer take the car for a day or two and drive it around?
Old 08-04-2021, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tron1982x
Sounds like really bad luck. I have 27K on my 2018 Q5 and it's been rattle-free. Could the dealer take the car for a day or two and drive it around?
I wish this would help, but based on my previous experience with dealers, the tech will usually go around the block and report that "everything is up to spec". Even elevating the matter to involve a shop foreman only helps when there is an obvious, pronounced issue while random noises are extremely difficult to diagnose. Few months ago, I've had a rather loud door rattle and they put some silicone coating on the door seals which alleviated the issue for about a month. The noise then came back. I bought the same spray they used, but the fix is only temporary.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

The spray helps isolate problem areas and now you can focus on those panels and make sure they are all fully seated. (Door panels area always major culprits) Sometimes just tapping with the palm of your hand all around the perimeter (where most of the clips are) can fully seat any clips that are not fully seated. The wood or aluminum trim inserts work similarly. It only takes one clip to not be fully seated to cause your symptoms for each panel.
Overinflated tires can make the situation worse as well. I have had rattles in vehicles in the past and it drives me crazy.. Been lucky with my 2011 and now my 2020 so far. Our A3 Cab is rattle free to my surprise also.
Good Luck.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Taking my new (less than 2 month old) SQ5 in next week to have a dash rattle obliterated. My 3rd Audi, but first one with a rattle. I have hopes it will be found but if it's really hot outside no rattle (expansion of plastics).
Old 08-31-2021, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

My Q5e had a severe rattle in the passenger side dash under all conditions. It magically went away at about 300 miles. Weird. There is now a slight rattle in the center dash console area. You can hear a lot more when in EV mode. I almost wish the bad rattle was still there as it was undeniable. I’m not sure if I’m keeping my appointment to bring it in later this week as I know I’ll be frustrated when they don’t fix it. I’m always cautious about things with the dash as they could create more rattles by pulling it apart.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m also having terrible rattles in my new Q5, coming from the center of the dash and then center console under the shifter. I love this car my first Audi (had some unreliable BMWs) but the rattles are driving me a little crazy
Old 12-18-2021, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I have had mine since May 2021 and no rattles or noises so far. Sometimes the rattles people experience can be traced to a single, simple issue that can be corrected if you can only find it (stating the obvious, I know, but trying to make the point hat this is not a widespread problem with the 2021 Q5, at least in my experience so far).
austinC6 (10-25-2022)
Old 12-18-2021, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2022 Q5 and it has a rattle in the center dash area. I took it to the dealership, did a test drive with the technician , and pin pointed the sound. Two weeks later I received my Q5 back and it still is making the rattling noise. However they took out my front windshield and part of the dash and placed padding all around stating the noise was coming from where windshield and dash meet. Obviously this was not the issue or at least it wasn’t the rattle I complained about. Feeling defeated as I want to love my new Q5 but the rattle drives me crazy.
austinC6 (10-25-2022)

Quick Reply: Interior rattles '21 Q5