Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Gray Oak High Gloss Inlays

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cakasky
oh I so would love to see some more pictures please. I also am getting these inlays and have been on the fence about them for a while. I also am getting Manhatten Grey with Nougat brown interior.
I will take some photos tomorrow and share. I hope you are as happy with these inlays as I am. I'm relieved, because we picked those sight unseen.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Took these photos yesterday and video today. Yesterday was sunny, and today is rainy and overcast. I should note we also have a tinted sunroof, for what that's worth.

The inlays are really subtle and extremely shiny, so the wood grain texture and slight hue isn't obvious until you have direct sunlight falling onto them. Since I'm not a wood fan, I'm really happy with that. I upped the exposure in some photos to show the grain, but for the most part, they nigh on match the black interior really well. In photos they appear to be slightly brown, but not noticeably so in person (I think).

Old 10-09-2017, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are great pictures! I am looking forward to mine against the Nougat Brown. I do worry about scratches, how about you?

I do like the clearbra idea on the interior trim.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Stunning! Would love to have these as a sharp contrast to a non-black interior.

Why dealers don't order more of these unique options is beyond me....they are gorgeous, and people want to buy them. But they never can see them in person before they order so they get cold feet and go for the "safe" in-stock option. So dealers never order and people never buy they cool stuff, so for "lack of sales" Audi continues to scale back our choices year after year. It's really a shame, and actually I left a brand I was loyal to for a decade due to lack of interior color options.

I special-ordered my TT with the Audi Design Select package, a 3-tone black/grey/brown leather combination with 3-tone contrast switched....but had to do is sight un-seen and a couple of lousy photos. Lucky fore me when it arrived I found it to be everything I had hoped for, and the dealer said it was one of the prettiest interiors they had ever seen in an Audi. Of course mine was 1 of 16 in the USA, and despite my dealer raving about how great a color it was they never ordered another one (opting for all-black interiors 95% of the time). And of course do to "lack of demand" Audi has now eliminated this interior selection after only 2 years due to lack of demand. It's just ludicrous......customers want choices and manufacturers limit them more every year because no one buys the cars that they won't produce with the cool options Shocking, isn't it!?!?

Sorry, ranting off topic.....but love it when someone goes all-out and does something different like the wood color you have chosen here. I'm sure you will get many compliments, and ever time you slip behind the wheel know you get to enjoy a very unique view of some beautiful craftsmanship! Congratulations!
Old 10-10-2017, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
The carbon inlays on my SQ5 had scratches from the factory. I wasn't very happy about it, although it could simply be a mistake.
does the dealer replace them ?
Old 10-19-2017, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I got a sneak peek at my car last night before it was PDI’d. I got the High Gloss Black/Gray Oak inlay. My caveat here is that I got Nougat Brown seats which gives you the black headliner. Because of these things the inlay is much more black than grey, but because of the items I mentioned the combination is truly special! Much better than the $850 Gray Oak inlay that is matte. I actually right after walked into the dealership to see a car with the Oak inlay which is more Gray. Enjoy the pictures:

Old 10-19-2017, 05:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

FWIW, here is the same combo with ash inlays. 2018-Audi-Q5-pittsburgh+pa-70b8ebed0a0e0adf589d058ccc7a4ee8.htm
Old 10-19-2017, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by plumber212
FWIW, here is the same combo with ash inlays. 2018-Audi-Q5-pittsburgh+pa-70b8ebed0a0e0adf589d058ccc7a4ee8.htm
Yep. By the way both are really good, you can't go wrong with either one. However when you sit in the vehicle with the Black Headliner, IMO the High Gloss Black / Gray inlay seemed to "fit-in" better (subjective).
Old 01-01-2018, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by cakasky
So I got a sneak peek at my car last night before it was PDI’d. I got the High Gloss Black/Gray Oak inlay. My caveat here is that I got Nougat Brown seats which gives you the black headliner. Because of these things the inlay is much more black than grey, but because of the items I mentioned the combination is truly special! Much better than the $850 Gray Oak inlay that is matte. I actually right after walked into the dealership to see a car with the Oak inlay which is more Gray. Enjoy the pictures:
Cakasky, thanks for the pictures! We just ordered our Q5 in Utopia Blue with the Nougat brown interior. Debating between the Dark Brown Walnut vs. High Gloss Gray Oak inlay. Originally leaning toward the walnut, but after seeing a few more pictures I'm thinking the oak might be nicer. Now that you (by now, presumably) have yours, are you still happy with the decision? Any chance you could post a few more pics that show the oak inlay next to the nougat seats? (The protective covering was hiding that beautiful nougat seat in your earlier pics.) Thanks!
Old 01-02-2018, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Karen16
Cakasky, thanks for the pictures! We just ordered our Q5 in Utopia Blue with the Nougat brown interior. Debating between the Dark Brown Walnut vs. High Gloss Gray Oak inlay. Originally leaning toward the walnut, but after seeing a few more pictures I'm thinking the oak might be nicer. Now that you (by now, presumably) have yours, are you still happy with the decision? Any chance you could post a few more pics that show the oak inlay next to the nougat seats? (The protective covering was hiding that beautiful nougat seat in your earlier pics.) Thanks!
You can see my pictures here in this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...018-a-2937291/

Even though the inlays look a bit black from a distance you can see the upclose pictures in this thread above the ones I posted. It's very much the same. I think it is a really GREAT option with the Nougat Brown! If you are looking for more of a grayish tone then pay for the non-glossy Gray Oak option. If you read through my thread you will see how I protected mine by having the G-Tekniqu Serum applied to it.

Quick Reply: Gray Oak High Gloss Inlays