Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Google Earth going away 2020

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 01:51 AM
Anc
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys!

Knowing how the system works from inside I would suggest all of you, who will lose access to Google Earth in your car from the new year to file a thread on Google Earth Community forum or find one and +1 it.
Here's the link to the forum, just file a complain that this is a premium feature in the car and that you want it back. If the **** hits the fan, this can be escalated further.
Please!!!! DO NOT SHARE THIS PUBLICLY, if you need to share it, just explain what needs to be done.

Hope we'll get it back after they actually get to understanding that there's a lot of us out there.

Thanks
Anc
Old 12-17-2020, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default MY2018 SQ5 software update failed

I too received a letter from Audi indicating my 2018 SQ5 was eligible for the software update to extend the satellite nav capability and so I took my SQ5 to my local dealer to have the update applied. Several hours later they called me saying the software update failed and that my car was not compatible with the current software update because it was manufactured after May 2018. I called Audi and asked them to provide me with a solution (either software update or hardware upgrade). They have called me back several times to tell me they don’t have a solution for me yet. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 12-17-2020, 07:48 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmeister
I too received a letter from Audi indicating my 2018 SQ5 was eligible for the software update to extend the satellite nav capability and so I took my SQ5 to my local dealer to have the update applied. Several hours later they called me saying the software update failed and that my car was not compatible with the current software update because it was manufactured after May 2018. I called Audi and asked them to provide me with a solution (either software update or hardware upgrade). They have called me back several times to tell me they don’t have a solution for me yet. Has this happened to anyone else?
All vehicles with MMI revision 1320 have had the same results, the upgrade is not compatible with 1320. What version is yours?
Old 12-17-2020, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Is 1329 the latest around?
Old 12-17-2020, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 392 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by jaims
I also am curious if one is required to get the update prior to the 12/31/20 expiration date; and similarly, if the update can only be performed with an active subscription. As I might want to opt for the subscription later on, I'd hate to miss out if there is a narrowing window for the update to be performed.
You don't have to get the update prior to the warranty expiration. However, after the expiration, the dealer will charge to do the update.

Without a subscription, there would be no way to test it. So it might be a requirement from the dealer (AOA said as much).
Old 12-17-2020, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood
You don't have to get the update prior to the warranty expiration. However, after the expiration, the dealer will charge to do the update.

Without a subscription, there would be no way to test it. So it might be a requirement from the dealer (AOA said as much).

Yeah, I have no doubt Audi will insist on a subscription to install the update...but wonder if I could be in the position of paying for the subscription and then find out there is an issue with the update. I’ll ask when I go in for the third time to get the window “going down when pressing the up button” malfunction issue resolved. That’s getting under my skin as rainy season rolls around.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an early 2018 and went to the dealer to get the update, once they plugged my car into the computer, it said no updates available. Even if I wasn't using it that much, it was nice to have. I am just appalled to see how Audi and more traditional "high-end" car manufacturers treats their customer vs. Tesla who is setting such a higher bar for continuous updates for their Infotainment system. It's like they didn't read the memo and are not adapting to consumers' expectations... I will seriously consider buying a Tesla next time around for this reason.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Yeah, I have no doubt Audi will insist on a subscription to install the update...but wonder if I could be in the position of paying for the subscription and then find out there is an issue with the update. I’ll ask when I go in for the third time to get the window “going down when pressing the up button” malfunction issue resolved. That’s getting under my skin as rainy season rolls around.
Hey, I thought it never rains in Southern California? That damn song says so😁.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
Hey, I thought it never rains in Southern California? That damn song says so😁.
Truth be told:

“Seems it never rains in southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It never rains in California
But girl, don't they warn ya?
It pours, man, it pours“

When its coming down, I’ll be thinkin of these lyrics every time my window glitch gives me a good soak.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the update on my SQ5 last week, this week I'm taking in my wife's A5 to get it. My dealer had to find the TSB's so it looks like I was the first to bring it in to them for it.

BTW let me know how the up is down button goes, my '18 SQ5 has always randomly done it and the '15 Q5 I had before did it too so I have just learned to live with it.

Quick Reply: Google Earth going away 2020