Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Goodbye Piano Black Center Console Trim

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, if anyone could send me the SVG file it would be much appreciated.
Old 10-11-2023, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! It is beautiful! I loved your comment about overcomplicating it. Lol

I’m trying really *really* hard not to be jealous of the simplicity of the whole layout—and the storage spot!

I have an ‘18 SQ5, and I do love it, but that whole touch drawing pad — or whatever it is — is completely useless. Sigh.

Old 11-01-2023, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Make one for me please !!

Anyone willing to make one for me????? Will pay all costs associated. Much appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2023, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi All,

I have been unable to get in touch with the thread author and obtain the SVG, but I found something similar on AliExpress.

It appears to precut to the gen 2 q5's, and appears to be similar to the carbon fiber pattern that was used in the initial pictures posted on this thread. I'm going to place an order now.

Last edited by uberwgn; 11-25-2023 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-11-2023, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

When I had my PPF installed on my vehicle, the guys covered the piano black center console part with a scrap piece of satin PPF. Took them about 5 minutes to cute the piece on their cutter and about 5 minutes to install it. They didn't even charge me for it. I'm so glad to have this finger print magnet taken care of.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

For anyone interested in a physical replacement, there is a Genuine Trim Replacement compatible with the B9.5 Q5/SQ5 models, that is a complete drop in solution, with a matte finish.

Genuine Matte Center Console Trim | B9.5 Q5, SQ5

Happy to assist if anyone has any questions.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm looking to protect the piano black and carbon fiber surrounds under the shifter. My plan is to remove both pieces and cover each in a regular gloss (not matte) 3M PPF.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do gloss for this? I see a lot of people doing matte here so I'm not sure if I'm missing some reason gloss is a bad idea. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2024, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the primary reason people avoid glossy trims is the glare, second, it's less prone to visible scratches.

Originally Posted by utahphunk
I'm looking to protect the piano black and carbon fiber surrounds under the shifter. My plan is to remove both pieces and cover each in a regular gloss (not matte) 3M PPF.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do gloss for this? I see a lot of people doing matte here so I'm not sure if I'm missing some reason gloss is a bad idea. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
utahphunk (01-18-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I ended up taking my console apart to remove the part, and wrapped it out of the car, all edges tucked in, turned out great. I HATE glossy plastic. The car barely has 9,000 miles on it and the gloss was already so scratched.

The following 4 users liked this post by TheBasedDoge:
aclass (02-25-2024), Greg2022q5 (02-25-2024), JayDee4711 (02-26-2024), scrmorling (02-26-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Please make 1 for me.

Originally Posted by roberthca
I love my 2021 Q5e ... with the exception of that Piano Black trim around the shifter. Dust magnet, fingerprint magnet, and at some point prone to scratching.

We recently had all of the chrome exterior bits wrapped in satin black vinyl (the black optics package wasn't available on the '21) - and that gave me the idea to wrap the piano black interior trim.

Rather that have the shop do that small piece (in in the San Francisco area where shops that do vinyl wrap installs are very over-priced), I decided to go solo. Being an engineer, I also decided to over-complicate the solution.

First, the before & after pics.

I decided that my approach would be to use a Cricut machine to cut out the vinyl using a pattern that I made and rendered into an SVG file. I did this vs just using an x-acto knife and sheet of vinyl because:
  • I didn't want to worry about damaging the leather or chrome-ish trim around the piano black with a knife
  • I wanted to have the option to easily swap to a different color (maybe brushed aluminum) if I got tired of the carbon fiber
  • Option to replace the carbon fiber vinyl if it started to discolor (e.g. from oil from our skin)
  • I was looking for a good excuse to buy a Cricut for other Maker projects ... and they were pretty inexpensive on sale at Christmas :-)
I'm really happy with the result. The vinyl is VViViD XPO Black Carbon Fiber Car Wrap Vinyl from Amazon - looks good and have a slight texture to it, but nothing too heavy.

Wanted to share the photos in case anyone else if looking for ideas on how to ditch the dust & fingerprint magnet piano black interior pieces.
that look so neat make 1 for me.

Quick Reply: Goodbye Piano Black Center Console Trim