Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Enable SiriusXM Traffic after Audi Connect Expires

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Enable SiriusXM Traffic after Audi Connect Expires (INRIX)

Thanks to others on here who have done some great work - mainly for the Canadians, I thought I would cross post how to get away from INRIX once your 6mo AudiConnect expires here in US market.

I already have SiriusXM (enabled when my 3mo expired back in October). I had to call them to add in the Traffic only, the other day. It was like $4/mo add. So for me it was like $36 until next October 2019. AudiConnect does nothing for me, so thanks to "Ekyp", he has a post with det's. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...-audi-2912779/

Since I did not want to shell out the $199 to buy a new RossTech cable, I went and got the $79 OBDEleven to play around with. It's easier to use, but I think VCDS Hex-USB V2 is way more robust... YMMV. Lot's of discussion on this., but essentially the older Hex-USB wont work on newer MLBevo platform Audi's. Not sure if it's combo of software and hardware, but I gave up on RossTech.

Anyway, go into Instrument 5F and then into Adaptions. Go into "Fee-based traffic information (TMC)". Change value to 34305 from 65533. "Boshiku" on here figured that value out. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...an-q7-2914314/

I took forever to work the overlay, it's not instantaneous of a change. I had to call Sirius and get a refresh signal sent. After coming back after 30min, all was good though, traffic came back on standard 2D map overlay here in Dallas. Google earth is greatness, but not worth the fee AudiConnect wants. Also, INRIX was constantly wrong anyways. Back in my 14 Q5, SiriusXM traffic was usually spot-on, so hoping the change works out for the best, anyways.

Hope this helps people out.

Cab

Last edited by Cabal_san; 02-15-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool... let us know how accurate the Sirius data is.... I had this on my VW and it was horribly inaccurate, and it would deliver traffic info from 15 minutes in the past. "Caution, traffic ahead." "Um, okay, we're in that traffic now. Thanks." Wasn't worth the $4/mo.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Posted some pic's of it working over on A4 side...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-.../#post25101885
Old 01-29-2018, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabal_san
Posted some pic's of it working over on A4 side...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-.../#post25101885
Thanks for this info. Question, did you have an option to add Weather (part of "Travel" I believe) through Sirius, or just Traffic? I have it on my Escape and much better than the Audi Connect version.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Question, did you have an option to add Weather
Yes, I had that option avail when I added on Traffic a couple weeks ago, but I declined. I do not use that feature with Sirius. I just wanted the traffic overlay.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Still working. FWIW I tried 1537. That did not work at all. Went back to 34305 and Traffic came back.
Attached Images   
Old 02-15-2018, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Question about OBD Eleven and possible alternatives. I'm a total novice about this. I bought a Carista Bluetooth OBD device that works with the iPhone (and special app) for my son to use with his Audi A4 (for scanning codes, etc) and he has the software specific to his model. Does anyone know if this device, with the appropriate software capable of the customizations you guys are describing with the OBD Eleven? If I had to get the OBD Eleven, is there a particular configuration/options I should specify?

Secondly, I'm not excited about the $30/month fee for the Audi connection, though I might try to add the car as a mobile device (ironic) to our AT Family Sharing plan. Normally I wouldn't subscribe to XM Sirius, but if I could use it (with a added fee) to get traffic on the nav display, I'd be interested. Still have a few months to sort it out before the trail period expires.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, i do not know of Carista. i have never heard of it...

But traffic flow on top of Sirius Subscrip is $4/extra per month. maybe you can get traffic only... I cant listen to terrestrial anymore, so $4 is a no brainer for me..

Last edited by Cabal_san; 03-18-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EDIT: I changed the adaptation value in 5F, but Sirius is still saying they can't add it as an option. Any ideas?

Hey guys,
Trying to add Sirius/XM Traffic to my wife's '18 Q5 in the US, since Audi Connect expired. I have a VCDS, but haven't actually hooked it up yet. I tried calling Sirius FIRST, and they told me they can't even add it as an option. It doesn't "show up on their screen as the radio being capable". I specifically asked if they were querying the radio in real-time, and they said no, its just a database where they look up the radio ID. So my question is: did you guys have to enable the bit via VCDS FIRST, or did it not matter?
Thanks!

Last edited by nobbyv; 05-10-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Try to call Sirius again and get a new rep. IIRC the guy on the other end put me on hold for a jiff, came back and said "all set". Pay the $4/mo via credit in a lump sum to end of contract. For me it was $32. Works still today.

Anyways, VCDS is a joke on this newer platform, IMO. I gave up ob it and went and got OBD11. It works. It's easy. Does alot of things really quickly - seat warmers increase, stop/start deactiv, gear in dis, traffic...etc.

Performed 10K service and all my adaptions are still there. Including Sirius Traffic. They didn't even notice I had traffic flow with no audi connect at the dealer.

EDIT - > I actually ordered Sirius Traffic first, and then 3 days later my OBD11 arrived. Changed 5F and all worked. It didn't come on immediately. But I had to run inside for a bit and when i came out 30min later and started car up, traffic flow was there.

Last edited by Cabal_san; 05-12-2018 at 06:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Enable SiriusXM Traffic after Audi Connect Expires