Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Do you regret passing on Virtual Cockpit option?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The VC was the tipping point for me on why I choose the SQ5 over the Merc
Old 02-28-2018, 10:32 AM
U-2
AudiWorld Member

For me it was the missing CarPlay integration in GLC.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by U-2
For me it was the missing CarPlay integration in GLC.
Merc does have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, but you have to decide between their Smartphone Integration Package and the Multimedia Package. You can't have both. Either you get the built-in nav or the Smartphone integration. Going with the Smartphone package also precludes adding the driver assist features and some other options that depend on the Multimedia Package. I was looking at the AMG C63S to potentially replace my RS5 and that strangely mutual exclusive relationship between the COMAND system and the Smartphone integration was among the reasons I didn't like the car.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:46 AM
U-2
AudiWorld Member

It has it now, but it did not have it when I was looking for a car.
http://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSi...l?oid=23809929
"With this equipment, expected to be available from the third quarter of this year, compatible smartphones with the appropriate operating system can be integrated into the vehicle via Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto and operated via voice control, for instance. Another new feature in the C‑Class and GLC is an Office function as part of the Mercedes me connect services. Mercedes drivers can use it to access important data directly in the car – as if they were in the office."
Old 02-28-2018, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Merc does have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, but you have to decide between their Smartphone Integration Package and the Multimedia Package. You can't have both. Either you get the built-in nav or the Smartphone integration. Going with the Smartphone package also precludes adding the driver assist features and some other options that depend on the Multimedia Package. I was looking at the AMG C63S to potentially replace my RS5 and that strangely mutual exclusive relationship between the COMAND system and the Smartphone integration was among the reasons I didn't like the car.
That confuses me. I have 2017 GLE AMG 63S and it has built in Nav and Smartphone integration along with every driver assist that Merc has..

Last edited by ParadigmDawg; 02-28-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:27 PM
U-2
AudiWorld Member

GLE is different from GLC. My friend actually bought GLC a year ago and I was amazed CarPlay was not available.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
That confuses me. I have 2017 GLE AMG 63S and it has built in Nav and Smartphone integration along with every driver assist that Merc has..
Yeah, the GLE is different. Newer system I'm guessing. At the C-Class level you can't have Nav and Smartphone integration together. I guess E-Class and up is different since they have the newer system competing with Audi's virtual cockpit. That hasn't made its way all the way down. Just like the new A6,7,8 all have a brand new touchscreen based system with three screens and I believe that system is based on Android. The lower trim levels seem to be last in getting updated tech.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I did not get the VC. I test drove the VC and thought it looked super cool, but in the end realized that Apple CarPlay met my needs and so I sunk my money into other options (namely, the B&O stereo). My Premium Plus arrived last week and it was the first time I had seen a non-VC car, so I wasn't sure how it would look. The cockpit actually looks super sporty and the screen between the analog gauges looks classy (not cheap, as I was anticipating).

Btw, this is my first Audi (former MB guy) and I absolutely love the vehicle. So much sexier than the GLC, IMHO.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No. I know where I'm going 99.9% of the time and I like to keep my eyes on the road. I would pay for a HUD, but not a "virtual" cockpit. It's neat, but I have other things to do with my money.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the VC because everything I might need to know while driving is available there at a button push. Fewer places to look, less time needed to look, and much closer to my line of sight. But it is an option, not standard, for a reason, different strokes for different folks.

Quick Reply: Do you regret passing on Virtual Cockpit option?