Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Cross Shop 2022 SQ5 with X3 M40i

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cross Shop 2022 SQ5 with X3 M40i

Hey Guys,
I recently perused an older thread comparing the 2018 Audi SQ5 with same year BMW X3 M40i back in 2018. Posters commented that for the most part cars were similar overall except where a poster had a priority (ie- Power, ride, or materials)

I'm now in the market for a 2021-22 SQ5 or a new 23 M40i. Has anything changed over the last 4 years?

Just as an insight on myself. I really value the "sport suspension" and the Nappa diamond stitch leather on the SQ5 but am amazed at how responsive the M40i is as well as a lower MSRP (about $4K). Otherwise, either car would serve daily driver needs quite well.

Opinions please? Thanks
Old 09-04-2022, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by HDEddie101
Hey Guys,

I'm now in the market for a 2021-22 SQ5 or a new 23 M40i. Has anything changed over the last 4 years?

Just as an insight on myself. I really value the "sport suspension" and the Nappa diamond stitch leather on the SQ5 but am amazed at how responsive the M40i is as well as a lower MSRP (about $4K). Otherwise, either car would serve daily driver needs quite well.
Last time I priced out an X3 M40i with specs comparable to the SQ5 the BMW was quite a bit more expensive. I don’t know where you’re seeing that it’s cheaper.
The following 2 users liked this post by Iain_B:
SCarGuy (09-06-2022), wertz999 (09-06-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The X3 M40 has gotten quite a reputation as a stiff ride. This might not be obvious from a quick test drive. That alone would be enough to steer me away for the simple fact that I want my SUV to be comfortable for long drives. If I want sports car handling, I'll buy a sports car.
PS: I have sports package and love the ride on my SQ5
Old 09-05-2022, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

I went from a 2018 M40i to a 2021 SQ5. The BMW is faster, corners better. The SQ5 is more comfortable (I have the sport suspension with air). I have 2 Corvettes for when I want to go fast on the street or the track. I like the SQ5 as a daily driver.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi vs X3M40i apples for apples?

Originally Posted by Iain_B
Last time I priced out an X3 M40i with specs comparable to the SQ5 the BMW was quite a bit more expensive. I don’t know where you’re seeing that it’s cheaper.
Attached is the Window sticker for a new 2022 SQ5 Prestige, loaded as I would prefer. The 2nd attachment is a factory order 2023 X3M40i as I would order it, except I would opt for the 21" wheels ($1000 extra). The delivered price for the Audi is $73940 and the X3M40i would be $67675. Neither local dealer would tack on "additional dealer markup" so the figures are good. Actually, the difference is more than $5K. But not really apples for apples since the X3M40i does not offer air suspension, upgraded leather, nor a high end radio like the Audi's B&O. I've driven 2 M40i' both with 21" wheels and they were not unbearable for me. My locality (Las Vegas) has pretty nice roads. The dollar amount is not the prime issue for me...it's the total package. BMW is really starting to p---s me off because of their subtle deletions. For 2022 they deleted lumbar support for passenger and side bolster adjustment for both seats, Some models were shipped without the optional PAP (Parking Assistant Plus with included the surround top view cameras) or DR (Drive Recorder). For 2023, BMW is deleting lumbar support altogether as well as the cargo package (cargo rails for tie down). While some of these items may not mean much to some folks, its how BMW is doing it. The dealer CA can't confirm whether some items ordered will be installed or the car delivered with a "deletion" and paltry credit. Sheesh. At least Audi is upfront about certain deletions. The SQ5 order spells out "Integrated toll module, power adj steering column, and Audi phone box" deletion. I'm OK with that...at least Audi is not compromising their excellent sport seats. Imagine any brand's "sport seats" without lumbar adjustment?
Sorry for the long rant. But yes, there's about a $4K+ difference between the cars and what I have to reconcile is "the difference"

Old 09-05-2022, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by augerpro
The X3 M40 has gotten quite a reputation as a stiff ride. This might not be obvious from a quick test drive. That alone would be enough to steer me away for the simple fact that I want my SUV to be comfortable for long drives. If I want sports car handling, I'll buy a sports car.
PS: I have sports package and love the ride on my SQ5
Our SQ5's ride is superb. Even with the 21" wheels and in dynamic mode full time. Perhaps its the roads in my town (Las Vegas). I've driven several M40i locally and the ride is taut, no question, but not brutal (like a BMW X3M). As with most BMW's I've owned, adjusting tire pressure lower (on run-fats) or changing out to non run flat tires to proper tires improved the harshness a bit.
Old 09-05-2022, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by HDEddie101
Attached is the Window sticker for a new 2022 SQ5 Prestige, loaded as I would prefer. The 2nd attachment is a factory order 2023 X3M40i as I would order it, except I would opt for the 21" wheels ($1000 extra). The delivered price for the Audi is $73940 and the X3M40i would be $67675. Neither local dealer would tack on "additional dealer markup" so the figures are good. Actually, the difference is more than $5K. But not really apples for apples since the X3M40i does not offer air suspension, upgraded leather, nor a high end radio like the Audi's B&O. I've driven 2 M40i' both with 21" wheels and they were not unbearable for me. My locality (Las Vegas) has pretty nice roads. The dollar amount is not the prime issue for me...it's the total package. BMW is really starting to p---s me off because of their subtle deletions. For 2022 they deleted lumbar support for passenger and side bolster adjustment for both seats, Some models were shipped without the optional PAP (Parking Assistant Plus with included the surround top view cameras) or DR (Drive Recorder). For 2023, BMW is deleting lumbar support altogether as well as the cargo package (cargo rails for tie down). While some of these items may not mean much to some folks, its how BMW is doing it. The dealer CA can't confirm whether some items ordered will be installed or the car delivered with a "deletion" and paltry credit. Sheesh. At least Audi is upfront about certain deletions. The SQ5 order spells out "Integrated toll module, power adj steering column, and Audi phone box" deletion. I'm OK with that...at least Audi is not compromising their excellent sport seats. Imagine any brand's "sport seats" without lumbar adjustment?
Sorry for the long rant. But yes, there's about a $4K+ difference between the cars and what I have to reconcile is "the difference"

Options missing from the BMW that are standard on the Prestige SQ5:
$1550 for the 21" wheels
$1700 for the Driving Assistance Professional Package
$500 Heated Front and Rear seats
$250 for spare tire

That's $4,000 in options that the Prestige SQ5 has standard that your BMW as-spec'd does not. You also have $2,570 of dealer/port-installed options on that SQ5 that are adding to the MSRP.

$1,350 for the Sport exhaust tips
$350 for black rings/badges
$320 for floor /trunk mats
$275 for cargo cover
$275 for s-beams in the doors

So that's $6,570 that are missing in the BMW spec.

Still, the BMW comes out cheaper. It must be because you are starting with the Prestige trim. I priced out based on the Premium Plus. IMHO, $73k is too much for an SQ5, the sweet spot is down in the low to mid-$60's. If I was spending $73k I'd be driving a Grand Cherokee SRT or the MB AMG.

From everything that I've heard/read the BMW is quicker and sportier but the ride is also harsher. The Audi is generally considered the one that is easier to live with every day.

Also, personally, I have a hard time wanting to give BMW money lately for anything with how they are going the route of micro-transactions with their cars. It's gross.

Last edited by Iain_B; 09-05-2022 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-05-2022, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Options missing from the BMW that is standard on the Prestige SQ5:
$1550 for the 21" wheels
$1700 for the Driving Assistance Professional Package
$500 Heated Front and Rear seats
$250 for spare tire

That's $4,000 in options that the Prestige SQ5 has standard that your BMW as-spec'd does not. Still, the BMW comes out cheaper. Weird. It must be because you are starting with the Prestige trim. I priced out based on the Premium Plus. IMHO, $73k is too much for an SQ5, the sweet spot is down in the low to mid-$60's. If I was spending $73k I'd be driving a Grand Cherokee SRT or the MB AMG.

From everything that I've heard/read the BMW is quicker and sportier but the ride is also harsher. The Audi is generally considered the one that is easier to live with every day.

Also, personally, I have a hard time wanting to give BMW money lately for anything with how they are going the route of micro-transactions with their cars. It's gross.
If there was a "Prestige" level model for the BMW, that would be idea. Wish I could find an SQ5 with the Optics and Sport Package for the mid 60's. It would have to be used a 2021-22 and that would be OK if it were top spec. Nevertheless, the BMW spare, driver assistant pro, and heated F/R seats are not a must-have for me and the upcharge from 20" to 21" is included in my M40i build sheet. I'm not sure what the "micro transactions" are but if you could clue me in, I try to be mindful. The ride on my current SQ5 is compelling but still looking at a $4K difference and pondering. Thanks
Old 09-06-2022, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I would pass on the prestige package and go with Premium Plus. Unless you really want the park assist (like it will auto parallel park for you), the heads up display and matrix headlights, the cup warmer/cooler, oled tail lights. That's really all you are getting for 3700 extra dollars. (I am deducting 1500 from the 5200 price delta between P+ and Prestige as you can opt back in for navigation) The 1350 for the real exhaust tips is criminal, given they should have made the car come this way out of the gate. If you can live with the fakes (one of my only demerits for the car is the fakes) then you have a spare 1350 and ease of cleaning. 20's ride way better, no need for 21's. Skip on the optics package unless you really want it. Keep the air suspension as its amazing for long drives and its ultimately what kept us out of the X3 M40i. Maybe trade the diamond quilted seats (they do look awesome) for the air cooled seats, save $400 --wish you could have the diamond quilt with air cooled like in the Q7/Q8) You can get an SQ5 into the 67k range if you do this. Some dealers still honor the Audi Club 6% discount so if you can find one of those you might come out reasonably ahead.

One more thing to make the cars more comparable is on X3 you really need to add the M-Sport diff $1300. (Audi includes their sport differential in the Sport Package)

Last edited by Audis or VWs 4Life; 09-06-2022 at 07:28 AM. Reason: (mention of BMW M-sport diff)
The following users liked this post:
HDEddie101 (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your insight. Yes, the availably of the Sport Package is the most compelling reason for me in choosing an SQ5. Even on 21" Pirellis the ride is very acceptable to me. The Nappa quilted seats are a very nice in Magma Red or Rotor Grey. I've would consider a 2021 used or Audi CPO but there are very, very few, Premium Plus or Prestige available in the configuration I like.
BTW...how do you like Audi's vented seats? Can you feel the cooling effect? Are they noisy? The BMW folks loathe the vented seat option on the X3 because they are too weak and compromises the comfort of the seat.

Quick Reply: Cross Shop 2022 SQ5 with X3 M40i