Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Climate Control Temperature Setting

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Climate Control Temperature Setting

I have a 21 Q5e that I recently purchased. Only used AC since it’s been warm. It seems, compared to other cars I’ve owned, that the calibration is off. Currently it is set at 77 degrees and it blows pretty cold. what are others experiences?
Old 07-28-2021, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You know when you set it to 77 it's not supposed to blow 77 degree air, but blow air cold enough to achieve and maintain a 77 degree set tempurature.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Timfoilhat
You know when you set it to 77 it's not supposed to blow 77 degree air, but blow air cold enough to achieve and maintain a 77 degree set tempurature.
Yes. I don’t have a thermometer in the car but I would say it is maintaining more like 72.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always found Audi to be pretty aggressive with fan speed when it comes to the auto control... I typically just turn down the fan manually when it's too cold. I know this isn't the answer you want for using AUTO... but perhaps it's the best solution for your comfort?
Old 07-28-2021, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I found the auto fan speed too high for my liking and changed with my OBDEleven.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
I found the auto fan speed too high for my liking and changed with my OBDEleven.
Didn't know you could do that! What exactly can you customize for this? Fan lower speed by x amount, or just less aggressive in general?
Old 07-28-2021, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

FWIW, the calibration is not off in general. All my Audis, loaners etc. maintained the set temperature pretty much like any other car. I generally have the climate control set to 72 and lower it to 70 on a hot day. 72 is a comfortable temperature whether it's an Audi, Merc or whatever. I would say Audi doesn't have the best AC. It tends to be a bit drafty and noisy if it has to cool a lot. I find the AC in my AMG much more pleasant and luxurious. It doesn't sound like a jet engine even on a hot day, and there are more vents, so I can direct the cold air away from me much better. If you feel the temperature is off, get yourself an infrared thermometer and aim it at various surfaces in the cabin to see what the temperature is. Keep in mind, the AC also compensates for thermal radiation from the sun using the ambient light sensor. If the sun is strong and burning down on the car, the AC will compensate and blow more cooler air to proactively keep the cabin comfortable.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:37 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

My understanding is that the Q5e uses a heat pump for the a/c rather than a traditional compressor. It may generate colder air which would cool the car more quickly but could feel uncomfortable in the process.

Steve
Old 07-28-2021, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

If it's like our 2018 SQ5, the fan ramps up much higher than I'd like for most conditions, so it feels cold and drafty. In the US, cars get a more aggressive cooling (market demand), whereas in Europe, its more conservative. If you have OBDEleven, you can loose your "AC Max" and replace it with "AC Eco". I use ours in Eco 90% of the time, until it gets really hot outside, and then I switch to "On".
Old 07-29-2021, 01:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
If it's like our 2018 SQ5, the fan ramps up much higher than I'd like for most conditions, so it feels cold and drafty. In the US, cars get a more aggressive cooling (market demand), whereas in Europe, its more conservative. If you have OBDEleven, you can loose your "AC Max" and replace it with "AC Eco". I use ours in Eco 90% of the time, until it gets really hot outside, and then I switch to "On".
Totally agree. Changed my 2020 SQ5 with VCDS to have AC Eco, never have needed AC Max in any previous Audi anyway. AC Eco runs the fan at a noticeable lower speed for a much more pleasant experience. I like to run recirculate whenever the AC is on as well and wish that was the system default.

Quick Reply: Climate Control Temperature Setting