Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Build Quality Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Yes, you are correct. I was responding to the poster that stated that the Mexico plant was the solely Q5 plant.
What I stated is correct, read my post a little closer. The factory in Mexico is solely producing Q5s for North America and Europe. India and China are completely separate with specific models.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an engineer of over 30 years who has worked in Europe, South America, Africa and North America; and an owner of a D4 A8, I can tell you that you can get your product to whatever quality standard you want from most places in the world. Most on this forum own an Apple product. Those are made in China and a deemed premium good quality products. I recently had cause to change the stabilizer bar in the front suspension of my D4. Guess what ? the OEM parts being replaced were made in China. These stabilizer bars BTW are known failure components in the D4 from around 30K miles. The manufacturer control its QC. 21st century manufacturing relies less and less on humans. Computers control robots which make widgets.
So I predict the defect rate of the new Q5 will be better than the average defect rate of vehicles in the same class, in their first year on manufacture. You can be sure the tooling and the calibration thereof of robots that will actually make these SUVs will very likely be from the same supplier to Audi's factories elsewhere. Since the Q5 is Audi's best selling model in the US, it makes business sense for Audi to site the factory close to its point of sales in a place where there are financial incentives like cheaper overhead costs and government tariffs. Besides I don't believe Audi will want to kill its golden goose by making then subpar than predecessors.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, new to the forums. Have just purchased a new Q5.

Been driving the car for the last few days, and will give a quick overview of the issues I've had so far! I was sort of hoping that with the new Q5 Audi would pull out all the stops to make sure everything was rock solid but a few teething problems already.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2017, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by YapStar

Been driving the car for the last few days, and will give a quick overview of the issues I've had so far! I was sort of hoping that with the new Q5 Audi would pull out all the stops to make sure everything was rock solid but a few teething problems already.

Thanks
Please share these teething problems. It would be interesting to know your observations. But, please keep in mind that this is the price an owner pays for buying a new model that was just introduced to the market. It will take, at least, a few months to a year for the manufacturer to iron out the kinks and make it 'rock-solid'.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by YapStar

Thanks
Might be a "One-Hit Wonder" and never come back...otherwise why not just include the observations in the original post.

Grey
Old 08-30-2017, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2018 q5 engine broke down with out even 100 miles on the car

Hi all

Purchased a 2018 q5 build to order which took about three months to arrive. Finally picked it up on Saturday. Three days later, it started making clicking noises and so my wife decided to take it into dealer to get it checked. it broke down right before making a left onto the dealer lot. The dealer service members were nice enough to come out to help push it to the service area.

It turns out to be a castrophophic engine failure and it has to be replaced. They located an engine in Jackson hole and will tak about a week. The car doesn't even have a hundred miles on it.

We want to ask Them to throw in an extended warranty. Thinking of writing to Audi. Will this fly?
Old 08-31-2017, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AngQ5
Hi all

Purchased a 2018 q5 build to order which took about three months to arrive. Finally picked it up on Saturday. Three days later, it started making clicking noises and so my wife decided to take it into dealer to get it checked. it broke down right before making a left onto the dealer lot. The dealer service members were nice enough to come out to help push it to the service area.

It turns out to be a castrophophic engine failure and it has to be replaced. They located an engine in Jackson hole and will tak about a week. The car doesn't even have a hundred miles on it.

We want to ask Them to throw in an extended warranty. Thinking of writing to Audi. Will this fly?
Under these circumstances, I'd be asking for a new car.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have my Q5 for about a week now. The build quality is impeccable, as far as I can tell. I guess those German Mexicans did ok =)

now if only I could get adaptive cruise control lol...
Old 08-31-2017, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vaneam2
Have my Q5 for about a week now. The build quality is impeccable, as far as I can tell. I guess those German Mexicans did ok =)

now if only I could get adaptive cruise control lol...
I agree I have had mine a week now as well and i can't find any faults with it. I have adaptive cruise control and it is great in traffic here. The only small nit i have is the mmi is a little bit on the blonde side if you have a bit of an accent. I did voice training on her, and now we can understand eachother better
Old 08-31-2017, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by frogs9497
Under these circumstances, I'd be asking for a new car.
+1, there is no way I would settle for an engine swap on a car with 100 miles. Insist on a new one!

Quick Reply: Build Quality Concerns