Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Brand new SQ5 Pre-Sense activating prematurely.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new SQ5 Pre-Sense activating prematurely.

Hi guys,

Posting for my sister. She just bought a new SQ5 and the Audi pre sense has activated a few times bringing her to an emergency stop for no reason lately. Tonight I drove her SQ5 and while simply backing out of a parking spot in a parking garage in Charlotte NC with nothing behind me whatsoever the car instantly came to an abrupt stop, it felt like I backed into a wall.

Any ideas are deeply appreciated as to why this is happening, or how it can be remedied.

Thanks so much
Old 10-25-2023, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

In my 2020 I can turned down the sensitivity in the MMI settings - maybe it is turned all the way up??? Still should not fire for no reason, but might help? If not - time for a warranty dealer trip.
Old 10-25-2023, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

I think that's a fairly common problem, but that doesn't make it acceptable. If I can find the other thread I'll edit my post and link it.

It happened to me once when I was making a left hand turn across a median. It was so sudden that I was sure the car in back had crashed into me. I've not changed anything in the MMI regarding sensitivity. In my case, it wouldn't have happened had I not been using my turn signal, but of course you're supposed to use the turn signal. In your case, it sounds like a sensor adjustment is in order.

Here's the other thread in case you've not read it before: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...ation-2927676/

Last edited by GeriatricSQ5Guy; 10-25-2023 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-26-2023, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

We’ve got a 23 and deal with this every now and then. It’s a “feature”. I’ve been sitting at stop light blocked in. No one moving. All of the sudden the seat belt tightens up with force like we’re bracing for impact. Then there’s the ghosts it sees crossing a road and slams on the brakes. Fun times. I’m actually getting my 10k service now and asked about it…..basically just a screwy system. Fortunately it’s not frequently.
Old 10-26-2023, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Mismatch of the road surface (like backing into your garage onto a concrete pad that is an inch or two higher) when in reverse will/may engage the system. Reversing slower eliminated the issue for me.
Also, the MMI settings are only for the warning display threshold. Setting it earlier helps me from activating the system. The early warning might cause me to let off the gas (or engaging the brake) sooner when a car is turning in front of me.
Letting off the gas sooner (or engaging the brake) tells the system you are paying attention and it will intervene later or not at all. Turn signals make the system touchier and intervene sooner on whatever side the turn signal is on.
There is a learning curve to the system's behavior so you can change your behavior to have less interventions.
The following 2 users liked this post by rdA4WtQ5:
CreoS4 (10-26-2023), jim2560 (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

It's called phantom braking. It's unfortunately a common issue with Audis. Their implementation has too many false positives. It sees ghosts and what not. The slam on the brakes when backing up is super common. That's the rear cross traffic assist thinking there's a car or person crossing behind you. It has happened to me in a loaner a while back while parallel parking and another car simply drove by me on the road and this thing slammed on the brakes. There wasn't even a chance we were going to collide. Audi is not the only one with these problems. The Tesla Autopilot is infamous for phantom braking, too.
Old 10-29-2023, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Same here... terrible implementation of a system that could be amazing if done right. I was backing out of my driveway and pre-sense slammed the breaks for a person walking on the sidewalk across the street... huh?!? I wouldn't mind if presense just put up the big orange triangle and warned you with an audible sound... but that stupid slamming the breaks just makes me want to punch the car!
Old 10-29-2023, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

Just hope the car slamming on the BRAKES doesn't BREAK anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by 383vett:
Elvisfan (11-18-2023), rdA4WtQ5 (10-30-2023)
Old 10-29-2023, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Just hope the car slamming on the BRAKES doesn't BREAK anything.
Most likely it’ll just hurt the occupants. Lol. On a serious note, we have a couple dogs and the biggest is 110. He’s occasionally in the car. Thankfully he barely fits so he’s wedged in the back between the seats on the floor, but if he were on the back seat that could get interesting. Even with a tether.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by pesto126
Same here... terrible implementation of a system that could be amazing if done right. I was backing out of my driveway and pre-sense slammed the breaks for a person walking on the sidewalk across the street... huh?!? I wouldn't mind if presense just put up the big orange triangle and warned you with an audible sound... but that stupid slamming the breaks just makes me want to punch the car!
Adjust the warning setting to early and you will get your ding and a big triangle in your dash display earlier before the brakes engage. Letting off the gas buys you some more time. Applying the brakes a little, even more time before the car intervenes.

Quick Reply: Brand new SQ5 Pre-Sense activating prematurely.