Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

B&O system

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 08:27 PM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok... I compared the Audi Q5 B&O to MB GLC Bermester system with the same CD I brought. The B&O was far superior. But, like you said, sound is subjective.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cakasky
The B&O is NOT your "factory stereo". It's a huge step above.

I'm not an audiophile but the options for setting the equalizer on the 2018 Q5 are less than what I had for my B&O with my 2010 Q5. What format is your music playing in? Have you tried trans-coding it to a different format and trying that.
Just because it cost a lot more than the factory system doesn't make it a "huge step up". I am an Audiophile and I have yet to be impressed with any factory installed system. That being said, I have 30k+ into my home system so I wouldn't expect to be impressed with a factory installed auth system.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
Just because it cost a lot more than the factory system doesn't make it a "huge step up". I am an Audiophile and I have yet to be impressed with any factory installed system. That being said, I have 30k+ into my home system so I wouldn't expect to be impressed with a factory installed auth system.
Whether you consider yourself as an "Audiophile" (assuming others are not), and the amount you have invested in your home stereo (assuming others have not) are not relevant. I don't think anyone is arguing that investing in upgrades won't improve audio performance.

As far as a stock system goes, I've found the B&O to perform well above average. My reference is a multi-channel DVD-A of Queen's "A Nigh at the Opera". Although the B&O is incapable of playing back the hires version, it will decode the DTS version included on the disc. The low frequency response is both tight and powerful, with a very broad soundstage (albeit a bit bright). The discreet multi-channel separation is excellent.

I realize that not everyone is interested in high quality source (this is the day of streaming), nor multi-channel, nor using disc media at all. But if you are, the B&O as a factory installed system performs quite well (IMO).

Ultimately, I think the point is that as buyers, we should include throughly sampling the included stereo system during your "test drive". If you're not satisfied, include upgrading in your budget.

Last edited by gumbee; 12-01-2017 at 06:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-2017, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 8gator8
Have driven our Q5 Prestige (Azores Green, Nougat Brown, Warm and cold weather, DAP and clear bra front/back/full hood) for a couple weeks now. Had another person approach me yesterday complimenting the color However, we have noticed there seems to be a weakness in the mid range reproduction on the B&O system. Songs that we know (mostly 70/80s Rock) sound somewhat empty at times. Not sure if it is an issue with our vehicle or just how this system works. Before I go back to the dealer, I want to know what others think - Thanks!
I have this system in my Q5 Prestige and was initially not impressed but now love it - a couple of points to note:

1) The source material makes a huge difference - when I play music using android auto off my phone I really noticed improved sound quality, I believe higher quality source material really makes this system shine
2) It takes a fair bit of tweaking with the sound options to optimize sound according to your preferences - I would look at the following settings (I may have some of the names wrong since I am doing this from memory) focus (front, read, center), surround (High, med, low) and off course the sub, bass and treble settings - it took me many combinations to optimize the sound to please my ear.

Best of luck!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

+1 to @planetmv ... adjust the settings. I find the "3d effect" setting to be gimmicky. While it does give the illusion of a broader soundstage, it creates a lot of noise in the mid to upper frequencies. This could be source of the "emptiness" you are experiencing.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gumbee
Whether you consider yourself as an "Audiophile" (assuming others are not), and the amount you have invested in your home stereo (assuming others have not) are not relevant. I don't think anyone is arguing that investing in upgrades won't improve audio performance.

As far as a stock system goes, I've found the B&O to perform well above average. My reference is a multi-channel DVD-A of Queen's "A Nigh at the Opera". Although the B&O is incapable of playing back the hires version, it will decode the DTS version included on the disc. The low frequency response is both tight and powerful, with a very broad soundstage (albeit a bit bright). The discreet multi-channel separation is excellent.

I realize that not everyone is interested in high quality source (this is the day of streaming), nor multi-channel, nor using disc media at all. But if you are, the B&O as a factory installed system performs quite well (IMO).

Ultimately, I think the point is that as buyers, we should include throughly sampling the included stereo system during your "test drive". If you're not satisfied, include upgrading in your budget.
I think the fact that I enjoy movies/music like I do and invest the proper amount of money, to have a true reflection on what the source material was intended to sound like, make both things relevant...

It is a "streamers" world now which "normally" isn't the best source.

I wouldn't say the B&O system performs well above average but we have different ears/tastes. Car systems are so much different then home systems and you are normally not trying to reproduce the same thing out of the two. A home system is normally flat or has a small house curve. Car systems usually have a large bump in the 40-70 hz range which although not accurate, I also enjoy..

Now the real question is why can't I get my Amazon Eco to control my music server properly, it controls everything else I own...
Old 12-01-2017, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the comments. It is my wife's car and she traded a 2008 GS350 with Mark Levinson that she has had since new. Best auto system IMHO and a really high bar to compare to. Unfortunately the new RX is just so damn ugly there was no way we could buy it! We looked at every other SUV trying to find vent seats, good sound, well built and not too big. The best alternative was the new XC60 with a B&W system. Problem was that the vehicle has several other issues that we couldn't get comfortable with.
I pinpointed the weakness listening to an INXS song on FM. A familiar guitar riff was very faint - something I have always heard on other systems over the years. There is no adjustment for that. No question that sound quality is subjective (and my hearing isn't what it used to be) but I noticed a missing instrument. Good to hear that no one else has noticed this. I am going to the dealer and listen to a system in an in stock vehicle to compare. Want to make sure it isn't something with our Q5 system.
My car is a '16 535i and a 330cic for fun, I do appreciate German engineering! They just have their way of doing things........
Old 12-01-2017, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
Now the real question is why can't I get my Amazon Eco to control my music server properly, it controls everything else I own...
Alexa can't hear you... the volume is too loud.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gumbee
Alexa can't hear you... the volume is too loud.
LOL...I swear my Smart Home is stupid...
Old 12-01-2017, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 8gator8
Thanks for the comments. It is my wife's car and she traded a 2008 GS350 with Mark Levinson that she has had since new. Best auto system IMHO and a really high bar to compare to. Unfortunately the new RX is just so damn ugly there was no way we could buy it! We looked at every other SUV trying to find vent seats, good sound, well built and not too big. The best alternative was the new XC60 with a B&W system. Problem was that the vehicle has several other issues that we couldn't get comfortable with.
I pinpointed the weakness listening to an INXS song on FM. A familiar guitar riff was very faint - something I have always heard on other systems over the years. There is no adjustment for that. No question that sound quality is subjective (and my hearing isn't what it used to be) but I noticed a missing instrument. Good to hear that no one else has noticed this. I am going to the dealer and listen to a system in an in stock vehicle to compare. Want to make sure it isn't something with our Q5 system.
My car is a '16 535i and a 330cic for fun, I do appreciate German engineering! They just have their way of doing things........
Mark Levinson likely does make the best factory installed system, in any car today, according to my ears.

I did opt for the B&O in my Audi as it's the best they have and I normally don't keep cars very long so I don't put in aftermarket systems in them.

My GLE AMG 63S had an option for a Ba&O BeoSound Premium Sound System for $4,550 or a harman/kardon LOGIC7® sound system for no extra cost. It was a no brainer for me to go for the free one in this case.

Quick Reply: B&O system