Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Anyone get glove box noise/rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone get glove box noise/rattle?

I have this rattle that I only hear at low speeds on bumpy roads. I don't know if its coming from my glove box (I tried sitting passenger while someone drove) but its coming from that general area. Emptied it out and everything with no luck. Anyone have this problem?
Old 06-28-2023, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ageispolis
I have this rattle that I only hear at low speeds on bumpy roads. I don't know if its coming from my glove box (I tried sitting passenger while someone drove) but its coming from that general area. Emptied it out and everything with no luck. Anyone have this problem?
Yep. I stuffed some cloth between the glovebox door and the dashboard and slammed it shut to stop the rattle. Very annoying, but it stopped after doing that.
Old 07-04-2023, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a noise like a bearing rolling around when I stop or turn quickly. Harry
Old 03-31-2024, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I believe I have the same rattle you describe. While driving with a passenger, I had them listen and feel around until they pinpointed the source. She narrowed it down to the lower right area behind the glovebox door. When pressing on this area, the noise stopped. I doubled up a felt pad and shoved it between there and the trim near the door frame. I haven't driven enough yet to be certain if it 100% eliminated the rattle. It may take several drives to know for sure because it was intermittent and not always audible.

The following 4 users liked this post by gscott7:
Ian Davies (03-31-2024), JohnnyJ (04-21-2024), ribeye (04-01-2024), Terrible_One (04-04-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Still working on a "fix." I continue to intermittently hear this rattle from this area. I'm beginning to wonder if the cause is something just being the trim piece.
Old 04-20-2024, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a very annoying rattle but from the driver side... finally narrowed it down the little holder door on the driver side in my 2018 SQ5... opened the door and slammed it shut.. rattle eliminated!
Old 04-20-2024, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a very annoying noise coming from this area. I thought it was the glove box, but this seems to have been misleading and instead it seems to be coming from that plastic piece stuck on the side of the dashboard. Tapping it with my hand, it sounds cheap plastic. I put a towel between that and the door and then closed the door to jam it in place and the rattle seems to have stopped.

Does anyone know how to remove this item, as I'd like to have a look underneath there to see what could be making the noise?

Old 04-21-2024, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just stick a broad flat screwdriver or your key on the lower edge and pop it off
Old 04-21-2024, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Use a wood or plastic butter knife to peel off the cover
Old 04-21-2024, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by gscott7
I believe I have the same rattle you describe. While driving with a passenger, I had them listen and feel around until they pinpointed the source. She narrowed it down to the lower right area behind the glovebox door. When pressing on this area, the noise stopped. I doubled up a felt pad and shoved it between there and the trim near the door frame. I haven't driven enough yet to be certain if it 100% eliminated the rattle. It may take several drives to know for sure because it was intermittent and not always audible.
Sorry do you have any pictures of the felt being stuffed in there, like how much did you put?

Quick Reply: Anyone get glove box noise/rattle?