Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Any experience with OEM Ski & Snowboard Holder?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any experience with OEM Ski & Snowboard Holder?

Am looking at picking up the OEM base carrier bars and want to also grab a snowboard holder. Looks like there are three types on the Audi Genuine Parts and Accessories site.
https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_201...F9071129D.html
https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_201...F9071129D.html
https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_201...F9071129D.html - Main one I'm looking at

Does anyone have experience with these racks? Any compelling reason(s) to go with Thule / Yakima instead of OEM gear?
Old 12-08-2017, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always preferred the OEM gear because it looks the best compared to the universal fit versions. They are the right width and design to blend more with the car. I used those exact same ones years ago without any real issue. They seem to hold up fine and in my opinion are much better looking than the Thule/Yakima options. This was over 10 years ago, but they look the same to me.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply! Went in and ordered them today. Will post back with impressions.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
I always preferred the OEM gear because it looks the best compared to the universal fit versions. They are the right width and design to blend more with the car. I used those exact same ones years ago without any real issue. They seem to hold up fine and in my opinion are much better looking than the Thule/Yakima options. This was over 10 years ago, but they look the same to me.
Audi does not produce bike/ski holders, it produces cars. The aforementioned gear is often made by Thule even when it bears Audi OEM sign. When purchasing from Thule you can save 40-70%.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DimaA6_ABC_Kiev
Audi does not produce bike/ski holders, it produces cars. The aforementioned gear is often made by Thule even when it bears Audi OEM sign. When purchasing from Thule you can save 40-70%.
Yep, and the Thule aero bars don't whistle as bad either.

Grey
Old 12-18-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the Thule ski/snowboard holders. The color matches Audi cross bars exactly and they work just fine. I think the Audi ones are actually made by Thule, as from what I can tell, they look identical.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ive always gone with the OEM crossbars and yakima ski holders. Great result.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just put up yakima "ridgeline" + "JetStream" rack system. Went with yakima because i had a set of yakima "FatCat 6" snowboard holders from previous car. Nice and steady, works great, looks decent. Although I have noticed that the noise level is noticeable now, even with a wind fairing on...
Old 12-18-2017, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DimaA6_ABC_Kiev
Yes of course but at the time I puchased them the generic versions did not look or fit as nice as the ones made to Audi specs. You can save on oem parts too if you shop around.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Today I put a Yakima Fatcat 4 Evo on the Audi bars that came with my SQ5. I was disappointed to find that if I put the ski tips toward the back I can't open the hatch without it hitting the ski tips. (180 cm skis) What is the general consensus? Do you guys put the tips forward? Is there a way to limit how far the hatch opens?

TJ

Quick Reply: Any experience with OEM Ski & Snowboard Holder?