Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Another "My SQ5" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Another "My SQ5" Thread

All I can say is WOW! I finally got a couple of drives in the mountains. I'll try to keep this brief but start by saying I was blown away with the handling, performance and fuel economy.
1. Here are my new wheels-front one is sitting on a Pepsi carton. I have since installed them and went with the aftermarket because the satin finish matches the body mouldings. The factory wheels are great, will use those with winter tires.
2. Had the Radar Detector hard wired and they did a perfect job. The mute button is velcro attached to the top of the cubby hole under the dash back of the console. Wires are totally hidden except for the 4" attaching to the detector..
3. I'm doing the front in Xpel and adding a Ceramic heat shield to the windows and sunroof.
4. The Q does run 8th gear in Comfort Mode and at low speeds it loafs along at incredible mileage. At 1500 RPM it runs 63 mph-close to the sweet spot. On some fairly steep hills with cruise on and my foot resting on the gas pedal I could not feel the pedal depress like every other car I've owned. Instead speed and R's stayed constant but boost went from low all the way to high. Apparently Audi gets more torque by adding boost with very little change in throttle position. I assume it has to use more fuel but I couldn't notice it.
5. On my first 80 mile round trip into the Mountains I averaged 18.5 City; 25 up and finished with 28.5 while pushing the car in corners and passing half a dozen cars. This was 40 miles climbing gradually about 2500 feet in elevation and the car with 80 miles on it to start. I didn't reset the meter so must have got over 30 on the return portion.
Trip two was a 240 mile round trip rising about 3000 feet and climbing over two mountains and down the other side. Saturday traffic so mostly 50-65, averaged 51 with about 20 miles of city driving. Trip up about 25 mpg didn't check by refilling so just the vehicle meter. Thinking this was too good to be real I gassed up and topped off the tank til full. Trip back was unbelievable. Only passed 2 cars so driving for economy until I came to a 6 mile uphill section with 1500' climb running 80ish. I was at 41 before the climb and 35.5 after, finished at 37.6. This was 75 miles into a 104.5 mile trip back. I gassed up and topped off the tank again. To my surprise I only took 2.74 gallons for an average 38+ a little better than the vehicle calculation. I'm still skeptical but double checked everything. I did notice that the Q feels like it's almost at idle and the boost gauge shows no boost. Going downhill it feels like it's freewheeling and picks up speed on steep grades. Yet it down shifts coasting to a stop light. There must be some sophisticated computer programming involved. Overall mileage was 30+ this second trip. Drove in Comfort Mode both trips.
6. I still say there is no noticeable Turbo lag. Maybe compared to a supercharged but not compared to any direct injected and I've test driven at least 10 recently.
Wheel pic....didn't post I'll try to add it later.

Edit-Turbo lag should read- in Dynamic mode.

Last edited by Ron.S; 07-16-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

PhotoBucket is getting to be a pain....Anyone suggest a better alternative?
Here's another attempt at wheel pic. Used this to help my wife decide which wheels to keep with the All Seasons Michelin tires.
Name:  IMG_20170706_080400.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  360.8 KB

Last edited by Ron.S; 07-16-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here's a pic with the wheels on the car. I know that most like the Black and Greys and black optics are popular but we prefer more bling.

Now PhotoBucket wants me to pay for a special membership before uploading anymore photos. Here's a direct link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6p...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Ron.S; 07-16-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,247 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S
Here's a pic with the wheels on the car. I know that most like the Black and Greys and black optics are popular but we prefer more bling.

Now PhotoBucket wants me to pay for a special membership before uploading anymore photos. Here's a direct link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6p...ew?usp=sharing
Your SQ5 looks good, like the wheels a lot, simple and clean. Did you run up to Stanley via Hwy. 21?
Old 07-16-2017, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by synergize
Your SQ5 looks good, like the wheels a lot, simple and clean. Did you run up to Stanley via Hwy. 21?
No, first trip headed that direction but turned around a little past Idaho City. Second trip went on 55 through McCall to Brundage and then North Beach.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SQ5 looks amazing!
Old 07-17-2017, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks great! Thanks for sharing! Yeah photobucket can suck it with their new policies.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love it! Did you go with prestige? If so, have you tried out the heads up display yet?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by fast16
Love it! Did you go with prestige? If so, have you tried out the heads up display yet?
I did go Prestige and I am a little disappointed with the HUD. Since I couldn't get DAP mine only shows the vehicle speed. It does briefly flash any changes you make to cruise control speeds. It would show the speed limit if I had DAP as it reads the traffic signs. It would be nice to see the map embedded speed limits even if they might be wrong occasionally. The HUD itself is clear and easy to read and adjust for your seat height. There is lots of room for more info just no other options that I see programmed as available. I might find something with my OBDEleven.
Another minor thing is a white reflected bar that shows up on the windshield in certain sun conditions. I'm sure there is a way to resolve that and it's not bad just unexpected.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ron.S
PhotoBucket is getting to be a pain....Anyone suggest a better alternative?
Here's another attempt at wheel pic. Used this to help my wife decide which wheels to keep with the All Seasons Michelin tires.
Imgur is the best. No sign-up required either.
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Quick Reply: Another "My SQ5" Thread