Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Air suspension on 2021 Q5 55 TFSI e

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Air suspension on 2021 Q5 55 TFSI e

I see the only way to get air suspension on the plug-in hybrid Q5 is via the sports plus package.

Anyone have this setup? (Q5 55 TFSI e + sports plus package). What are your thoughts, and how different is the ride and handling versus the standard Q5 suspension?

What I really want to know is if the addition of air suspension on the heaviest Q5 improves ride quality, or was its addition tuned more to improve handling characteristics given that it's part of the sports plus package.

Is the ride quality actually a noticeable improvement over the standard suspension?

I've tried a couple of dealers and nobody nearby seems to have a '21 hybrid with air suspension available for test drive.
The following users liked this post:
aarontimmins (08-18-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 07:41 AM
CWA
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the sports plus air suspension in my 2021 Q5 e and the only comparison I can offer is a brief test drive of a 2020 Q5 e without it. I think it both improves ride quality and handling because it gives you so many options in ride level that correspond to the drive selected such as the off-road mode which is very handy where I live, off-road in the Colorado mountains. The vehicle raises up for more ground clearance. Then when I get to the highway full of twisters I can change from either the off-road or all-road modes, which raise the vehicle, to dynamic or individual modes when it will lower itself smoothly on the fly or from a stop. It also works in the background on typical highway usage to raise or lower and level itself depending on speed and drive mode and load. As far as ride quality, I think the comfort setting will give you more of what it says and it’s all done. very smoothly. You can test it easier when you are parked and make it go up and down and also see how it balances itself.

I was very wary of this option due to concerns about more that can go wrong. My only other self-leveling vehicle was a 1989 BMW M-6 which caused it havoc when we moved off-road. I have less than 3000 miles on it but so far it is a blast to drive and I think it is worthwhile if you can find one. When I bought mine, the dealer had exactly one prestige in stock, which is what I wanted, and it had this package. Combined with the Michelin summer tires it came with, it is just amazing to drive through the curves and I think the air suspension really evens things out and gives a driver lots of flexibility.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:39 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

What he said. Also consider the fact that the Sport Plus package gives you standard tires as opposed to run-flats without this package and there's no spare tire.

A similar suspension is available on the SQ5 Prestige and it could be easier to locate one of those for a test drive and it will give you a good idea of the range provided by the suspension.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

I love my Sport Plus package for several reasons. Air Suspension is far superior than Adaptive Suspension was in my previous Audi, always seems to be just right. The Sport Plus seats are great, Dinamica is warm in Winter and cool in Summer. S-line interior with perforated steering wheel and shifter is a nice plus too.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:04 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with the previous comments and would add that the air suspension lets you give the car a lower look which my 2014 SQ5 definitely did not.

Steve
Old 09-26-2021, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by scrmorling
I agree with the previous comments and would add that the air suspension lets you give the car a lower look which my 2014 SQ5 definitely did not.

Steve
I have a 21 Q5e w the sports package and the air suspension is a nice touch - i like getting up higher and typically ride in raised position.

However, the only reason we have the sports package is because it was the only model on the lot.

The sports seats w dinamica are really uncomfortable and the micro suede fabric has me always worried about spills.

I would gladly trade the air suspension for a set of standard leather seats.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Chiming in on my subjective experience coming from the full leather sport seats and adaptive damper suspension to the 2021 Q5e Dinamica/leather sport seats with sport plus air suspension.

I liked the flat bottom steering wheel on old Q5 as it was thick and meaty. The seats showed wear, cracks and wrinkles pretty easily. The air suspension is definitely better than the adaptive dampers, it’s both softer and sportier at the same time and has superior body control. My SO and I recently got a regular Q5 loaner and that suspension felt far too stiff in the pothole ridden and uneven city roads compared to Q5e w air suspension.

the perforated (also) and slimmer steering wheel in ‘21 is more ergonomic but I prefer the flat bottom aesthetic. The hands on detection is nice.

I think the comfort of the Dinamica/leather seats have been great — they still look new (haven’t spilled anything yet) and it helps with butt grip on those corners and I guess that’s why some sports cars have alcantara mixed in too. Comfort wise is similar to the full leather. The feeling in the summer and winter is different (cooler than leather, yet the heated seats warm up quicker).

That said, the fine Nappa leather seats in the SQ are marginally softer (I don’t like how the pressure points become obvious on those seats and may be slightly more prone to wear)
if they added massage and ventilation to the (s)Q5 series of seats for the US, that would be a great all rounder but they want you to step up to the higher models to get everything
Old 05-18-2022, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default How?

Hi guys,
I just got a Q5 e 2020 with all the bells and whistles but I'm confused if I have air suspension. Is there an easy way I can test this? I tried changing settings from comfort to auto to dynamic but it doesnt seem to change anything. Is there a quick way to know?

Loving the car so far and still in my first tank of gas nearly 3 weeks in and 1300km. Should hit 1700-2000 which is incredible! And my goodness is this thing fast when in sports mode! I'm sure it's under 5sec 0-60

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

2020 Q5e was not offered with Air Suspension in the US.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm in Canada. So just wondering if there is a simple way to check this in the console?

Quick Reply: Air suspension on 2021 Q5 55 TFSI e