Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Active Lane Assist Annoyance

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Active Lane Assist Annoyance

I have a 2020 Q5 Prestige that is about 4 months old. I love everything about it except for the Active Lane Assist that will periodically alarm and tell me to take control of the steering wheel. Every time this has alarmed I have had my hands on the wheel and been actively driving. It is not unusual for this to go off twice in a 20 minute trip. I don't think I've ever driven for any meaningful distance and not had it go off.
  • Are there any settings for this feature that I can adjust through the MMI?
  • Are there any settings that can be adjusted with an ODBEleven?
  • If nothing else, is there any way to turn down the volume of the alarm? It happens frequently enough that I'm used to it, but my wife fusses about it every time it goes off.
Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypitt
I have a 2020 Q5 Prestige that is about 4 months old. I love everything about it except for the Active Lane Assist that will periodically alarm and tell me to take control of the steering wheel. Every time this has alarmed I have had my hands on the wheel and been actively driving. It is not unusual for this to go off twice in a 20 minute trip. I don't think I've ever driven for any meaningful distance and not had it go off.
  • Are there any settings for this feature that I can adjust through the MMI?
  • Are there any settings that can be adjusted with an ODBEleven?
  • If nothing else, is there any way to turn down the volume of the alarm? It happens frequently enough that I'm used to it, but my wife fusses about it every time it goes off.
Thanks for any advice.
Yes, there are settings to make it more or less evasive.
Steering time

Early: in this setting, the corrective steering happens continuously to help keep the vehicle in the center of the lane.
Late: in this setting, the system provides corrective steering just before a wheel goes over a detected lane marker line .
Old 05-23-2020, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Doesn’t matter what you set it to. It’ll go off anyway. It’s a poorly designed system. Not to mention the amount of times it tried to go straight in a curve and almost put me into head on traffic.

I can’t use it at all. What a shame.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

The only setting is to turn it off. Unfortunately as said above it's very poorly designed. If it's turned on, it requires that your hands are on the steering wheel, however the way it detects that is by sensing steering input from the driver. Problem with that is if you are driving dead straight for a while, you are likely not providing any steering input, so the system thinks your hands are off the steering wheel. Better designed systems like the one found in Mercedes' cars and others have touch sensors in the steering wheel, so they detect if you are holding the steering wheel even if no steering input is provided. Adding to the problem is that Audi's implementation immediately alerts with a very ear piercing audible alert. Again, the Mercedes system first discretely warns with a visual alert in the instrument cluster, and only if the driver doesn't react will it alert audibly and as a last resort it will actually bring the car to a stop and automatically dial emergency services. The Audi system will just disengage if you are ignoring the audible warning and let the car plow into whatever is in its path. For how conservative Audi has designed most of these system, it's kinda unfathomable that they haven't built the system such that it safely brings the car to a stop if say the driver is unconscious or has fallen asleep.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

I agree with all the above comments. We all have our tolerances for alarms. I can tell you the alarms in my Model 3 are far more jarring than in the Q5. The Q5 sounds quite polite, in comparison. I think you have to put these systems into perspective. They are meant for highway driving only. Definitely no where near autonomous. That said, I do feel once you accept their limitations, the Active Lane assist does make for a more relaxed drive on long highway drives. It really does keep you centered in lane (set on early) and the ACC is great for adjusting speed in traffic. You can't take your hands off the wheel and it does alarm quickly if you do. Yes, on a straight stretch it will alarm sometimes, even if hands are on the wheels (as mentioned above). I personally find the driver assist features useful in certain driving conditions. With a little experimenting you'll find what works for you.
The following users liked this post:
JimPSPB (05-27-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Can’t stand the LKA. I’ve tried various settings and the only one I’m content with is “off.”
Old 05-24-2020, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Guvnick
Doesn’t matter what you set it to. It’ll go off anyway. It’s a poorly designed system. Not to mention the amount of times it tried to go straight in a curve and almost put me into head on traffic.

I can’t use it at all. What a shame.
Mine has been turned on since I got the car. I do not suffer the issues you do. You might want to have it looked at.
The only time my alarm goes off is if I take my hands off the wheel.
On rare occasions I have had an issue when there is an exit off the road and a new land forms, it wants me to go into the new lane.

This reminds me of my stumble when I roll to a stop issue. Some have it and some don't.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Mine works great too. If you are on a very smooth/straight road with no cross winds, then it will give me the "put hands on the wheel" since it didn't feel any input from me after a while. I find after multiple alerts like this, then it starts to get a bit worse for control (assuming by design so I stop trusting it). Keep in mind it's running off one single camera, not 17 like Telsa uses.

Biggest issue is the user: This isn't AUTO DRIVE. It's a safety feature when the thing between the steering wheel and drivers seat (aka driver) goes mentally missing, and it pulls you back in the lane instead of you crashing. I do find it nice since it reduces fatigue on long drives though.

If you expected auto-pilot, you bought the wrong brand. Just saying...
Old 05-24-2020, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
Mine works great too. If you are on a very smooth/straight road with no cross winds, then it will give me the "put hands on the wheel" since it didn't feel any input from me after a while. I find after multiple alerts like this, then it starts to get a bit worse for control (assuming by design so I stop trusting it). Keep in mind it's running off one single camera, not 17 like Telsa uses.

Biggest issue is the user: This isn't AUTO DRIVE. It's a safety feature when the thing between the steering wheel and drivers seat (aka driver) goes mentally missing, and it pulls you back in the lane instead of you crashing. I do find it nice since it reduces fatigue on long drives though.

If you expected auto-pilot, you bought the wrong brand. Just saying...
I think Audi's implementation is at least partially responsible for why some folks get the impression that it is semi-autonomous driving. Audi's implementation is somewhere between traditional lane keep assist and auto pilot like driving, especially if you have it set to Early. It intervenes long before the car is about to cross the lane markers. In my AMG on the other hand, I have two independent systems. The first one is lane keep assist and the second one is active steering assist. The former is purely a lane keep assist. It sits dormant until the car is about to cross the lane marker and then steers it back into the lane by applying the brakes. It also vibrates the steering wheel before it intervenes to alert the driver that they are getting too close to the lane marker. So it's a very distinct function and jolts the driver back to paying attention. Active steering assist on the other hand is true semi-autonomous driving at speeds up to 150 mph (don't exactly remember the limit but somewhere around there) and allows up to 30 seconds of hands free driving on divided highways. It actively steers the car around turns, keeps it centered in the lane and also keeps an eye on other cars and even evades them if necessary. Like Tesla's Autopilot, it can also autonomously speed up and change lanes to pass other cars by simply activating the indicators. Both systems can be independently turned on/off via separate buttons and complement each other. If the active steering assist reaches its limits, lane keep assist can still steer the car back into its lane. Audi is slowly improving its systems. Newer models starting with the e-tron come with a new system called Audi adaptive cruise assist (ACA), which is closer to what MB, Tesla and others have on offer.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-24-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

When we bought our 2018 SQ5, our dealer was implying the Q8 would have this newer version as well. I do not think it go it though (but unsure). Not going to lie to you, I was always the "bah... silly useless feature" guy until I got our Audi. Even with it's flaws, it makes driving on those straight, mind-numbing roads, a lot less fatiguing. I would be definitely giving this feature a lot more attention in my next test drives for sure.
The following users liked this post:
JimPSPB (05-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Active Lane Assist Annoyance