Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2021 Facelifted SQ5 with Black Optics at local dealership! Pics included!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

IMO, exhaust pipes are a visually appealing component of the exterior of the vehicle. Just because they are not functional does not mean they fail to serve as a cosmetic enhancement to the vehicle. If this was a design decision driven in part to avoid soot buildup around the tail pipe area, all the better.

So many things these days are simulated, or to put it in more derisive terms “fake.” The further they fail to look like the real thing, the more deserved the criticism. Audi did a good job simulating these exhaust pipes; and not really a bad move diverting the exhaust to ensure they’ll stay nice looking far longer than if they were functional tailpipes.

Last edited by jaims; 10-10-2020 at 10:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jaims:
DBlueQ5 (10-11-2020), ronsal (10-11-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Beachside
OMG....WHY would they do that with the exhaust tips??? Thats terrible.
Seriously. That's just the worst. wtf
Old 10-16-2020, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audi is doing themselves a serious disservice with all of the fake tips.. I love their design language but fake tips is just a deal breaker, and not just for the SQ5. Whoever green lit the fakes should be fired. Was going to seriously consider the SQ5 but can't get past this.
The following users liked this post:
RedlumF (10-20-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

The Q5 has been the best selling SUV except for the Lexus. It achieved this mile stone with an unconventional exhaust port design that simulates the real thing. I doubt any of those Audi designers were sent packing given the Q5’s sales figures.

M.Y. 2021 modified that simulated exhaust design to incorporate exhaust pipes, perhaps to address the scant few expressing disappointment over an exhaust port design that didn’t more closely approach the more traditional look of the rear of vehicles. So purely from an aesthetic - not functional standpoint, incorporating realistic looking exhaust pipes appears to be an effort by Audi to improve upon that.

The Q5 has for years, simulated its exhaust configuration in design of the rear of the car. Apparently, this has some wanting to take Audi to the wood shed based upon the belief that Audi has been engaged in dishonesty for at least the past 6 years. This ‘crime of the century’ level of indignation seems a bit over the top IMO (tho not referring to one’s personal preference to have all tail pipes be fully functional)
Old 10-16-2020, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jaims
The Q5 has been the best selling SUV except for the Lexus. It achieved this mile stone with an unconventional exhaust port design that simulates the real thing. I doubt any of those Audi designers were sent packing given the Q5’s sales figures.

M.Y. 2021 modified that simulated exhaust design to incorporate exhaust pipes, perhaps to address the scant few expressing disappointment over an exhaust port design that didn’t more closely approach the more traditional look of the rear of vehicles. So purely from an aesthetic - not functional standpoint, incorporating realistic looking exhaust pipes appears to be an effort by Audi to improve upon that.

The Q5 has for years, simulated its exhaust configuration in design of the rear of the car. Apparently, this has some wanting to take Audi to the wood shed based upon the belief that Audi has been engaged in dishonesty for at least the past 6 years. This ‘crime of the century’ level of indignation seems a bit over the top IMO (tho not referring to one’s personal preference to have all tail pipes be fully functional)
fake exhaust finisher/tips/outlets in the rear fascia are happening industry wide because 1) it saves on manufacturing because hidden down-pointing or unconnected real exhaust outlet can be ugly/functional/cheaper to mass produce and alignment is not an issue 2) it helps ( for the ones pointed down to the road ) meet tough Euro drive-by decibel limit restrictions 3) insurers like it because rear end bumper taps don't include damaged exhaust system ( or in the case of Porsche 992s w similar fake rear fascia tips , prevents exhaust pipe chain-reaction ENGINE damage since its motor is right ahead of rear bumper )

Last edited by Inclined; 10-16-2020 at 10:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Inclined:
Centerfield13 (10-16-2020), DBlueQ5 (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It cracks me up how passionate people are about the exhaust tips, to the extent that they write a vehicle off solely because of it. If the rest of the car is great and the fake tips are well designed, I don’t see a problem. I see the benefit of not having to stay on top of them just to keep them clean.
The following 5 users liked this post by jonnybravo!:
Centerfield13 (10-16-2020), DBlueQ5 (10-16-2020), Martigary (10-16-2020), rhe (10-18-2020), Silver-Bolt (10-19-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I think the outrage is amusing too. It’s the low hanging fruit/thing to scrutinize on YouTube videos of these newer cars with nonfunctional exhaust trim.

I’ve burned my shins a couple times loading/unloading heavy stuff getting close to connected exhaust tips and they get black and sooty too. Bringing back the quad exhaust look and tuning the exhaust to sound mean isn’t a bad compromise.

I mean who actually looks at the functional tips — whether smoke or I burnt gas comes out is important? The people at the track? Have a camera car follow your car for a review to check on how it looks? Those exhaust outlets going downwards will still emit fumes and would probably still be visible in the cold
Old 10-18-2020, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful but the exhaust tips being made looking like real but to only be fake is silly. I actually prefer having no fake tips at all and just a black clad on my 2020 model. But to each is his/her own.
The following users liked this post:
Silver-Bolt (10-19-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by spinfunky
Beautiful but the exhaust tips being made looking like real but to only be fake is silly. I actually prefer having no fake tips at all and just a black clad on my 2020 model. But to each is his/her own.
Ya, I agree, rather have a design element than a more realistic fake exhaust. So far I am not missing cleaning the crusty carbon build up on my 2020.
The 2021’s design is growing on me a little bit but I still prefer the pre refresh.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah agree they should’ve left off the ugly quad exhaust trim in the ‘18-20. People complained and Audi thought a realistic fake and exhaust was better. Should just keep the design omitting that look from the get go

Quick Reply: 2021 Facelifted SQ5 with Black Optics at local dealership! Pics included!