Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 SQ5 Rear Brakes Worn to "Yellow"

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Duplicate

Last edited by txl146; 02-10-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you need special tools to do rear rotor replacement on SQ5?
Old 02-10-2020, 10:10 PM
SQ5 Down Under

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found these Akebono for the front.

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20...e_pad_set.html

Not sure if it will in fact fit. Nothing for the rears for Akebono still
Old 02-12-2020, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my '18 SQ5 in for warranty a week ago and the dealer came back with the checklist and 34,000 miles and rear brakes were in the yellow category as well. It just means they are in the mid range and will need attention in the future, not that they need to be replaced NOW. I'm going until either the light goes on or they get to the red. My last car(s) went about 100k miles before needing any brake attention. Side note: does the lane keep assist / adaptive cruise use brakes to steer? I'm also wondering if it rides the brakes...kind of hard to tell when driving, but I have my suspicions.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 20VTURBOA4
I had my '18 SQ5 in for warranty a week ago and the dealer came back with the checklist and 34,000 miles and rear brakes were in the yellow category as well. It just means they are in the mid range and will need attention in the future, not that they need to be replaced NOW. I'm going until either the light goes on or they get to the red. My last car(s) went about 100k miles before needing any brake attention. Side note: does the lane keep assist / adaptive cruise use brakes to steer? I'm also wondering if it rides the brakes...kind of hard to tell when driving, but I have my suspicions.
adaptive cruise and jam assist uses brakes for sure. not sure about lane keep assist
Old 02-12-2020, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by nikv
adaptive cruise and jam assist uses brakes for sure. not sure about lane keep assist
I wonder if adaptive cruise control use any more breaks that if I breaked myself?
Old 02-20-2020, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder that too? My SQ5 at 43k km and my brake sensor is on. When I took it in to get checked they said I have 4mm on the back and 5 on the front. That's almost 40% of the brakes! So I haven't changed them and just turned off the warning sign so it doesn't bother me. I will keep an eye on them but I will probably get another 10k km. Will be looking at akebono when it is time, if I find any.

Any one had any luck with the front and rear? Did you buy and successfully install the above on a 2018 SQ5 and newer?
Old 02-20-2020, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
I wonder if adaptive cruise control use any more breaks that if I breaked myself?
I'd suspect no. My gut feeling its more about torque vectoring control than anything. When you take a corner "fast", the car will brake the inner wheels to help it rotate easier around the corner and not over-steer. No idea what "fast" would be quantified as.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 392 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
For me the answer is yes.
When approaching a curve where I know that Adaptive Cruise is going to brake for me, I quickly take it off cruise and take over the gas pedal for the turn and then put cruise back on afterwards. I have one such curve that I do twice a day on the way to / from work, and I know that I can take the turn at a higher speed without braking. I don't want to slow down and I don't want to put wear on the brakes.

Instead of taking it manually off ACC, another solution I sometimes use is to give it more gas as I approach the turn. This immediately takes it off ACC effectively doing the same thing as manually disengaging ACC - only with an added sense of wheeeee!
Old 02-20-2020, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
I'd suspect no. My gut feeling its more about torque vectoring control than anything. When you take a corner "fast", the car will brake the inner wheels to help it rotate easier around the corner and not over-steer. No idea what "fast" would be quantified as.
I was under the impression that the Audi had real torque vectoring vs dragging the brakes.
But, that could be with the sport differential equipped vehicles. Which is why I don't want a RS3 among other reasons.

Quick Reply: 2018 SQ5 Rear Brakes Worn to "Yellow"