Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 SQ5 Premium Plus vs. Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 SQ5 Premium Plus vs. Prestige

I'm looking to between a used 2018 SQ5 Premium Plus (w/ B + O Speakers) or a 2018 Q5 Prestige (w/ warm / cold package). Is it worth it to get the prestige package over a the 3.0 engine?
Old 09-05-2019, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

The SQ5 will have the nice door panels, I don't know if the Q5 Prestige has them, I know they have the nice armrest area on the Q5 Prestige, but don't know about the leather or Alcantara insert area.

The SQ5 might have the carbon inlays, which is a super nice trim, the Q5 will not have those, but maybe it has an inlay you like.

The SQ5 has the adaptive suspension (magnetic oil in the shocks), not sure if the Prestige has that.

And the SQ5 exterior (rocker panels, front, rear) looks different, depends on what you like.

I love the SQ5 engine, and if you drive it gingerly, you can get fantastic gas mileage.

Best of luck!
Old 09-05-2019, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

When we were looking at the Q5's , the local dealer had 17 SQ5 PP with 28k on the OD, on the test drive we liked the power of the 3.0.
Crunched some numbers , then said we were going to think it over. We left only to came back the next day ,it was sold. Bummed, so we left.
Next weekend we went back by the dealer they had an 18 Q5 Prestige with just under 11K on the OD . We test drove it and liked the extras on the Prestige package more than we liked the more Hp/Tq of the SQ5 PP.

So we went with the Q5 Prestige over waiting to see if they would get in a SQ5...
The following users liked this post:
audi40 (09-07-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by sdclt_audi
I'm looking to between a used 2018 SQ5 Premium Plus (w/ B + O Speakers) or a 2018 Q5 Prestige (w/ warm / cold package). Is it worth it to get the prestige package over a the 3.0 engine?
Basically you're looking at 2 different cars - different engines; different transmissions; different suspensions; full time AWD vs a basic front wheel drive (which does revert to AWD when the need arises); different seats. I'm not at all saying one is better than the other, but rather that they are different cars in how they drive, handle, stop, accelerate and sit. I think you have to drive them both and figure out which one suits you best. I've had them both and they are both superlative cars - they only fill different wants and different needs......driving and pocketbook.
Good luck with whichever choice you make.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the 18 SQ5 Prestige... problem solved. Thats what I have. The biggest difference is the power of a 3.0 (369hp) vs the 2.0 (285hp, I think) To me that was an important factor in selection the SQ5 over the Q5, regardless of trim level. In my opinion, the 2.0 lost its enthusiasm after 4000 rpm, and kind of falls on its face, while the 3.0 keeps on pulling well past 4000 rpm. Oh, and the heads up display is kinda cool too.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a new SQ5 Prestige. The rebates and end of year model discounts were too good to pass up. The brand new one was $1000 more than the used model. I wanted the Prestige because of the extra features (adaptive cruise control, lane assist, heads up display, park assist, dash lights that change color). The SQ5 Prestige are harder to find (it seems there is a recall on them so several I found weren't ready yet). You only live once!
Old 09-06-2019, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjames
I just purchased a new SQ5 Prestige. The rebates and end of year model discounts were too good to pass up. The brand new one was $1000 more than the used model. I wanted the Prestige because of the extra features (adaptive cruise control, lane assist, heads up display, park assist, dash lights that change color). The SQ5 Prestige are harder to find (it seems there is a recall on them so several I found weren't ready yet). You only live once!
Congrats--you'll love it. Love driving my 2018 Prestige SQ5 every day. At least with the 2018, the Prestige also had dual pane glass, B&O sound system, and top view camera system. All of these features added up to me really wanting the Prestige, which is what I went with. No regrets.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought a 2018 Q5 Prestige as I loved the options and my car came with all other options (cold weather, warm weather, etc. etc.). All of the SQ5's were Premium Plus only and I'm good with the pep of the Q5. If we were to all drive the fastest Porsche out there we'd be saying to get that over both cars for the speed...so I kept my SQ5 demo drive to a couple of minutes so I wouldn't be swayed...

Love both cars, can't go wrong either way!
Old 09-06-2019, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the Q5 if you are leaning more towards luxury

Get the SQ5 if you are leaning towards sport / handling / power

I see dozens of Q5s daily but rarely come across an SQ5 (and thats in a MAJOR city)

But as some posters noted - two completely different cars.

What I love most about my Prestige SQ5? Heads up Display, Driver Assistance, Air Suspension, Flat Bottom Wheel, Sporty handling characteristics and unique S paint option (Quantum Gray).

What it can do without? Fake exhaust noises (Soundkator), vague sounding V6 turbo exhaust and fake exhaust tips.

Both have pros and cons (Q5 rides plusher and quieter). I had extensively driven Q5s as loaners and bought an SQ5.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

My wife was sick of the 9-10 MPG of her '05 GMC Envoy. She wanted good fuel economy with decent power. The Q5 drivtrain was perfect for her. She loves the 23-30 MPG she's getting. 100 MPH was fast enough for her. I'll hit the speed limiter on it sometime. If she wants faster, she can use my A8. (see avatar pic or my album).

Pic is by the original Tony Packo's in Toledo, Ohio on Front Street. The place talked about quite often on M*A*S*H.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 09-07-2019 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 SQ5 Premium Plus vs. Prestige