Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5/SQ5 Mexico made quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I probably just got a SQ5 made on a Monday or Friday. After 1000 miles developed a dash rattle that that required the dash to be removed to fix it after several tries. They did fix it finally. Cup holder rattles from the rear, fixed that myself. All in all I think the Audi has a okay build quality.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
While I understand where you are going with this, I don't think it really rings true. Manufacturers are probably doing more real-world road miles now than ever before. I doubt there is a car on the planet that comes to market without 1 million miles tested, and I know Lexus has some some 2 million pre-production miles before. If you figure in all the cold weather testing that goes on, followed by hot weather testing, and then endless laps around simulation test tracks, these cars ARE tested for the real world. Every manufacturer is testing cars around the world....just look at the spy shots from around the globe. In my opinion cars have become so complex that it's the parts suppliers than cause the most heartache..... A part is changed mid-year by a supplier and makes it way to the assembly line, skipping those million-mile tests...and that's a lot of the issue. Also, so many components are needed that often times more than one supplier makes the same part, and yet variances between the two cause issues on the assembly line. It used to be easy for a brand to control quality, as they only had to oversea a limited number of suppliers. Now they get parts from around the globe to meet such high demand (sensors and cameras are a good example), and suddenly they just can't micro-manage the quality. If the supplier isn't living up to their end of the deal what happens on the assembly line is very different than the approved pre-production million-mile test cars that were trouble free.
All good points but manufacturers are certainly designing and testing cars faster than before.even with 1 million miles of testing they cannot cover every situation. A seat starts squeeking cause driver weighs 200 pounds vs tester who weighs 150. Temperature, road condition etc all leads to different issues. But as other post mentioned components are coming from various suppliers which may not have been tested originally. Most issues I have had over the years dont seem to assembly/factory issues but realize a part can fail prematurely if not installed correctly too. But overall both my mexican assembled VW’s and German Q5’s have been very reliable. My Q5 had a hard downshift(lots of complaints on this) that was clearly a design/software issue with tranny. Not factory workers fault.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a burrito in mine. To be fair, it seems to be an American burrito....
Old 02-28-2018, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 497 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
I'm with farmerjones on that. In the "old days" vehicles were carved out of clay, and it took about 6 years to make a new model. Now they use 3D CAD software, and that drops to about 2 years. ...

Old 03-04-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2007 Passat Wolfsburg Edition was made in Germany. Was always in the shop. Burned oil, squeaked, and had mechanical issues all within 3 months of purchase. If the OP was questioning Mexican skill to build a car, I'm thinking a proud Mexican making $15 an hour in small town Mexico (probably equivalent to $100 an hour in a US city) working in a modern, clean, factory would make a damn good product. We shall knbow that answer in 2 or 3 years. Forty years ago I worked in a factory making gaskets for the oil industry. Only about 30% of workforce was white, most were newly arrived Mexicans. When I started, they tested me at all the hard jobs manned by Mexicans, I couldn't do them property and they put me on the easy jobs manned by women
Old 03-04-2018, 03:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Audis could be made on Mars for all I care. I can only comment on the several QC issues with my specific vehicle. There were several things that could and should have been caught during post production inspection. A large hole in the carper in the rear compartment, with exposed framing for one. I should have caught it myself during the purchase, but never sat tin the rear seat. My bad.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 497 Likes on 338 Posts

^^

Just because you (and your dealer) didn't see it at your initial inspection doesn't mean it shouldn't be replaced under warranty. Without seeing it, would imagine it to be a fairly obvious manufacturing defect rather than passengers having snipped a hole in the rear carpet?
Old 03-05-2018, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 332 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse

Should have clarified that they are no longer hand carved out of clay. It's 3D rendered, and then a giant CNC machine (like the video carves it out). Much faster....
Old 03-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glisse
^^

Just because you (and your dealer) didn't see it at your initial inspection doesn't mean it shouldn't be replaced under warranty. Without seeing it, would imagine it to be a fairly obvious manufacturing defect rather than passengers having snipped a hole in the rear carpet?
It was replaced under warranty. The hole was big enough that they had to replace the entire rear carpet. It wasnt caused by passengers, it was caused by defective manufacturing.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gray911
No issues with my SQ5. It is as German as can be!. Rumors has it that they only allow factory workers to drink Heineken during their breaks instead of Corona.
Eh, Heineken is Dutch.

Quick Reply: 2018 Q5/SQ5 Mexico made quality