Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5 Screw in rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2018 Q5 Screw in rear tire

Hi - I have a 2018 Q5 that i bought in 6/22 that had brand new crugen kumho 7 tires. Driven about 14K miles since I got the car. My right rear has a screw in it. Do I need to replace them all even though they're relatively new? I added a pic, any chance this could be patched? Hoping to avoid a new set of tires after 14K with new ones. Thanks for any advice!
Old 12-08-2023, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 330 Likes on 258 Posts

That should be pluggable. I've had a ton done on my other car, and they don't even remove the tire from the car to do it.

If it isn't fixable, a good tire shop can replace 1-tire and if the wear difference is too great from the others, they "shave it" down to match.
Old 12-08-2023, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Those tires look new enough that the new tire could be shaved down to match the rest. But the tread-wear on all 4 should be
the same within a couple mm's. I wouldn't feel comfortable plugging that tire.

How painful!
The following 2 users liked this post by DopeyD:
huntpsu1 (12-08-2023), uberwgn (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you! This is all very helpful.
Old 12-08-2023, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a screw like that in one of my tires and there was no tire shop that would repair that. You might find one that will repair it if you go "to the other side of the railroad tracks." So think about what to do about new tires instead.

I had 4mm tread depth on my tires at the time, so I just replaced all 4. You should check what tread depth you have left - yours still look good.
The following users liked this post:
mikemod (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TJK
I’ve never done the tire shaving stuff and actually never seen it done. I would rather have 2 new tires than throw away part of the useful life of one new one by grinding some of the tread off it.
If this was a front wheel drive car, I would agree to replace just 2. But this is a torque vectoring all wheel drive system. I wouldn't replace just two tires. If you don't want the expense of replacing all 4, I'd buy one and shave it down to match the other three.

(Unless you drive like a little old lady only to church every Sunday
No offense to little old ladies..... LOL)

But... It's your car!!

Old 12-08-2023, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you already have the answers, I don't understand why you're asking the questions.

That said, you're not reading the paragraph above the one you highlighted.

My opinion is from my own experience, what I have experienced with this type of AWD system, advice
from dealers and tire shops, and my own research. This has happened to me twice.

As I indicated sort of tongue-in-cheek earlier, if you don't drive the car hard, then replacing just the one without shaving would probably
be fine, or even changing two. But generally the rule of changing same axle tires applies to some front wheel drive vehicles.

This is not the first time people have disagreed on this subject. Shaving a fairly new tire down isn't an issue for a good tire shop, That would
be my first option. If tires are considerably worn more than a few mm's, then you should replace all 4, not just the two.
Old 12-08-2023, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Just read a recommendation that the only repairable part of a tire is the central 3/4 of the tread. If that's a legitimate recommendation, then your damaged tire does not qualify.

Back in the Spring, I had a screw pretty much in the center of the tread. I had it repaired at Discount Tire and can't tell the difference in it before and after.
Old 12-08-2023, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

That is nothing, just get it repaired. Nothing needs to be replaced, not sure where you got that idea. First car ? Still in High School ?
The following users liked this post:
Wires (12-09-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 5000S
That is nothing, just get it repaired. Nothing needs to be replaced, not sure where you got that idea. First car ? Still in High School ?
Those tires look new enough that the new tire could be shaved down to match the rest. But the tread-wear on all 4 should be
the same within a couple mm's. I wouldn't feel comfortable plugging that tire.
If tires are considerably worn more than a few mm's, then you should replace all 4, not just the two..
I wouldn't feel comfortable plugging that tire
I had a screw like that in one of my tires and there was no tire shop that would repair that.
And more. Thanks though.

Quick Reply: 2018 Q5 Screw in rear tire