Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Yet Another 2.0T Oil Consumption Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Norskie
Which borescope did you use?

The borescope that I used was a TESLONG NTS500.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yah well those Chinese have our best interests at heart.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 349 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
That was a very nice write-up on the engine.

Except he honed the cylinders which is usually a non-no for the 2.0T

Per Audi....

Cylinder Wall Coating - The 2.0T FSI engine has a special graphite coating on the inner cylinder walls. This coating helps to reduce cylinder wear. Honing or boring will remove this coating.

To the OP here notice this if you are old school and were going to cross-hatch hone the cylinders for piston/ring replacement.

I would also suggest running a bore-scope in the cylinders to see if there is any cylinder wall scoring that might require a new block.
Sorry to revive an old post but do you have more information on the special cylinder wall coating you are referring to? I can't find anything about it other than the engine just being cast iron. Can you give more details on what the special graphite coating is? I don't think you are referring to Alusil (aluminum silicon blend not graphite, and I dont see anything in the erWin docs saying this engine has Alusil although other Audi engines do/have)....... In short: I'm trying to determine what the cylinder walls are lined or coated with, if anything, in this CPMB engine.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It would appear you took the "Per Audi..." directly from this link word-for-word:
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...e-Build-Thread

Reason I ask is do you have other confirmation of this coating and details? I have not been able to find this in my of my erWin documentation or other sources. I guess I would point out that information is now 10 years old and from a user.......and I can't really verify it elsewhere thus far.

Any further information you have would be appreciated. I have also read several sources that have said in indirect references that the special graphite coating is only initially on the cylinder walls and wears off..... so from that perspective, assuming for the moment this information is correct, honing it later when you re-ring it would have zero impact as the graphite would already be worn off.
The following users liked this post:
apoelistas (03-30-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

For sake of clarity and correct information for anyone that might come along later:

The information provided above about the graphite cylinder wall coating, at least as it applies to this engine, is not correct. First, this link about the graphite coating is for EA113. Second, I have not been able to corroborate this based on technical information from Audi or independent sources. Third, I have seen a couple of people mention this coating tangentially going back to very old posts in the one posted above but they indicated it was something that is temporary and wears off..... not something that would be a consideration later when re-honing.

The bottom line here is that this engine has cylinder walls that can be honed as long as they are within spec. This should be fantastic news for anyone with oil consumption that is considering a rebuild.
The following users liked this post:
apoelistas (03-31-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you can find a rebuilt shortblock with improved pistons/rings for much cheaper. Or alternatively you can locate an undamaged block in Europe for probably $300, and use that as a base for a rebuild.

I am planning to buy a high mileage Q5 with the problematic oil guzzling EA888 Gen 2 and a rebuild is part of my budget.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2023, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Class Action Lawsuit about this

[QUOTE=mcperreault;25547980]Hello All,

I originally posted this in a different forum but an experienced AudiWorld member gave me some things to look at and suggested I re-post it here with test results for better/more advice.I have searched the internet and various forums and cant seem to find a discussion that matches my particular problem. I have a 2016 Q5 Premium Plus with the 2.0T that started using oil at about 75,000 miles, and at about 82,000 miles and it was consuming oil at about 1 quart every 1000 miles, and it seemed to be getting worse. The twist here is that the only thing that appears to be wrong is that it is consuming oil. There are no codes, it runs great, there is no smoke, no noise, no drivability issues at all. The vacuum in the crankcase appears to be normal - a slight sucking from an open oil fill cap at idle, which lead me to believe it was not the PCV. I have a pristine garage floor and there are no leaks. No evidence of leaking oil from an underside visual inspection either. Cosmetically, the formerly chrome tail pipes are now a carbon black. I did a leakdown tests (worst cylinder - #3 was at 6%, lest than 5% for the others). I replaced the PCV because it was convenient and a possible source of the problem.. I looked at the turbo piping and found the exhaust piping had an oil sheen but no evidence of the "oil lake" in the intercooler piping that others have experienced. Since that original post, the car is now just past 85,000 miles and used a quart at 83,350 and another at 84,711 miles. The car still drives great - no smoke, no stuttering, no driveability issues - only this oil usage and the blacked out exhaust tips. No problems anywhere, at least until I looked in the owners manual. Per the owners manual, the engine can be expected to consume a 1/2 quart every 600 miles, and even more when new! Which is what a dealer said when I took it in. Because the oil consumption has stabilized at just above the 600 mile per half-quart spec, I think this is a known and accepted condition for this motor. Which leads me to two questions:

1. Does anybody have any thoughts or ideas on what this problem might be that I haven't looked at? They would be greatly appreciated.

2. What is the trade-off, in particular what am I getting for the increased oil consumption? Without a good explanation, I'm not inclined to think its worth the hassle, and although I'm a fan of Audi in general (there's a 2018 Q7 in the garage and a Q8 in the works), I don't think I would ever purchase a vehicle with their 2.0T motor again.

Thanks

Hi,
The simplest answer that I can give is to have you look up the Rieger v VWAudi Class Action lawsuit that has just been settled in NJ in 11/2023. It addresses this exact issue for certain Audi models for the years 2012 through 2017. If you hurry, you can contact the attorneys and join the suit.

Old 12-02-2023, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Class action lawsuit regarding this issue

Hi,

The simplest answer that I can give you is to have you look up Rieger v VWAudi, a class action lawsuit filed in NJ for this very same issue. It affects certain Audi models for the years 2012-2016. If you hurry, you can join the lawsuit by contacting the attorneys of record.