Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Xpel Ultimate Installed on Cuvee Silver Q5 2.0T P+

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by one_tracker
This may seem like a strange question but have you looked at the bra install with polarized lens sunglasses and if so did it look "different" (in a bad way) ?
I don't own polarized sunglasses, but I've looked at it in every possible light and I'm 100% satisfied--customer for life satisfied. I haven't noticed any distortion, orange peel effect, hazing, etc., and being that the base color is Cuvee silver, it tends to shift color a lot based on the time of day and whether or not it is in direct sunlight. The metallic shine always comes through the Xpel, which optically clear. Even when I'm hand washing it, it looks the same as the untreated surfaces--perhaps it's because there is a clear coat layer in the Ultimate. I'd be hard pressed if anyone could pick out the parts that were treated because they looked "different." You are not going to notice it unless your sniffing it at the edges. Don't want to be a fan boy, but this stuff is light-years beyond what is currently out on the market--you will not be disappointed.

These were taken last night around 4PM EST. Did a hand wash in the morning around 9 and finally applied Opti-Bond tire gel. Looks pretty good to me. Snagit-thanks for the tip about the Opti-Coat Pro. I'm definitely going to take a look at it.

Name:  20131026_161321.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  20131026_161417.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  80.0 KB
Old 10-27-2013, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by one_tracker
This may seem like a strange question but have you looked at the bra install with polarized lens sunglasses and if so did it look "different" (in a bad way) ?
It's not a strange question. Due to the properties of the film, if wearing polarized sunglasses, you can sometimes notice what appears to be a kind of shimmering effect in a certain spot or two. This is the same effect as you can often see when looking through tinted windows with polarized sunglasses. When I first noticed this I freaked out thinking there was something wrong with the film or the install. As soon as I removed my glasses (or experimented by rotating them), it disappeared. This is more of an amusing anecdote than anything to worry about.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It's not a strange question. Due to the properties of the film, if wearing polarized sunglasses, you can sometimes notice what appears to be a kind of shimmering effect in a certain spot or two. This is the same effect as you can often see when looking through tinted windows with polarized sunglasses. When I first noticed this I freaked out thinking there was something wrong with the film or the install. As soon as I removed my glasses (or experimented by rotating them), it disappeared. This is more of an amusing anecdote than anything to worry about.
Hey snagitseven.

Sorry to dig up a somewhat old thread, but I live in Boston and my wife and I - preparing to take delivery of our new Q5 TDI (black S-Line+) - are looking for a well-regarded, accomplished Xpel Ultimate dealer to tackle our car when it arrives. Considering black will show each and every scratch and swirl mark, I'm seriously considering having the entire car protected. And, based on your forum posts and some online research, I'm also considering adding a layer of OptiCoat. And, finally, I'm thinking 3M's Crystalline on all windows and the sunroof will help keep the interior temps down during the summer months (did I mention the car - interior and exterior - is black?).

So! Can you recommend a shop that has the expertise to nail this job?

I welcome any thoughts on the subject and would appreciate any words of advice.

Nathan
Old 02-01-2014, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

nathan, I had both the Xpel Ultimate and Opti-Coat Pro installed by Unique Care Care now located in Stoneham. I can't say enough about Rick and his guys - they do a terrific job. You can tell by all the exotic cars parked around the place that these guys are experts. They don't do tints though - you'll have to Google the web to find one recommended in your area - I had my done by a local guy on the South Shore.

http://www.uccboston.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Uniqu...g/449667135170
Old 02-01-2014, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

nathan, I had both the Xpel Ultimate and Opti-Coat Pro installed by Unique Care Care now located in Stoneham. I can't say enough about Rick and his guys - they do a terrific job. You can tell by all the exotic cars parked around the place that these guys are experts. They don't do tints though - you'll have to Google the web to find one recommended in your area - I had my done by a local guy on the South Shore.

http://www.uccboston.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Uniqu...g/449667135170
Many thanks! I'll give them a call. I'll report back when the new Q5 finally arrives,,,in April!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nathanjbrown
Many thanks! I'll give them a call. I'll report back when the new Q5 finally arrives,,,in April!
Since my car was done in 2012, looking at their new website, it appears they may have expanded their services with the new, larger location including tinting. If so, you would be able to get everything installed by them.

Note that Rick is not the least expensive you'll find but for the reasonable difference he charges, I felt it was well worth it to have the services done expertly by folks who know what they're doing and will stand 100% behind their work down the road if something goes wrong.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Since my car was done in 2012, looking at their new website, it appears they may have expanded their services with the new, larger location including tinting. If so, you would be able to get everything installed by them.

Note that Rick is not the least expensive you'll find but for the reasonable difference he charges, I felt it was well worth it to have the services done expertly by folks who know what they're doing and will stand 100% behind their work down the road if something goes wrong.
I noticed that too. I'll be sure to ask them about 3M Crystalline when I call.

I'm one who prefers to spend money on the best rather than the least expensive. The expertise and peace of mind is worth the investment.

I'm pleased to see that they're 14 minutes from my house. Convenient!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nathanjbrown
Hey snagitseven.

Sorry to dig up a somewhat old thread, but I live in Boston and my wife and I - preparing to take delivery of our new Q5 TDI (black S-Line+) - are looking for a well-regarded, accomplished Xpel Ultimate dealer to tackle our car when it arrives. Considering black will show each and every scratch and swirl mark, I'm seriously considering having the entire car protected. And, based on your forum posts and some online research, I'm also considering adding a layer of OptiCoat. And, finally, I'm thinking 3M's Crystalline on all windows and the sunroof will help keep the interior temps down during the summer months (did I mention the car - interior and exterior - is black?).

So! Can you recommend a shop that has the expertise to nail this job?

I welcome any thoughts on the subject and would appreciate any words of advice.

Nathan
If you are going black go with the xpel ultimate. My Q5 is scuba blue. Not quite as bad with showing imperfections as black but very close. I had the film installed on my entire hood, front bumper, front quarter panels, and mirrors. My installer did an awesome job. No seems can be seen anywhere. I have not experienced the polarized glasses effect like some have. No one knows the film is there unless I point it out very carefully. The film has a very slight rubbery texture to it. Slightly dragging ones finger across it will reveal this.

I can attest to its self healing properties. I park under trees at work. They trees often have birds that take care of their business above my car. Because of this I put on an Audi car cover everyday. The cover fits like a champ but it haves a serious problem. It allows very fine dust particules through the cover. Any flapping or dragging of the cover over time(8 months for me) results in spider web scratches on paint. It takes the right lighting to see them but they are there. The area between the rear window and the license plate is now showing those spider webs. When I take the cover off I roll the cover from the front to the rear dragging it along the hood. The film on the hood and mirrors has self healed every time resulting in absolutely no spider webs. Paint still looks like it was on day one. I have polished the spider web area back to showroom quality with a polishing compound. Next week I'm having film installed on that area. Goodbye spider webs!

If I were getting a black car I would install the film on the entire car. You would never have to worry about spider webs or the polishing needed to keep it looking like new. It will be pricey but worth it.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great input! Thank you. This "spiderwebbing" is my primary concern. The day we went to the dealership to place our order, the salesman took us over to a Brilliant Black 2012 Q5 they were selling pre-owned. He wanted to give my wife and I a sense of what the color would look like. Without even trying to look for it, I immediately noticed the incredible amount of "spiderwebbing" or "swirling" in the paint. It looked horrible (and I told the salesman that).

My wife was sold on black (while I was hoping for white for this very reason), so we placed our order and I went home to kick off my paint protection research.

And here I am! Sold on Xpel Ultimate and perhaps a coating of OptiCoat.

Originally Posted by cluless
If you are going black go with the xpel ultimate. My Q5 is scuba blue. Not quite as bad with showing imperfections as black but very close. I had the film installed on my entire hood, front bumper, front quarter panels, and mirrors. My installer did an awesome job. No seems can be seen anywhere. I have not experienced the polarized glasses effect like some have. No one knows the film is there unless I point it out very carefully. The film has a very slight rubbery texture to it. Slightly dragging ones finger across it will reveal this.

I can attest to its self healing properties. I park under trees at work. They trees often have birds that take care of their business above my car. Because of this I put on an Audi car cover everyday. The cover fits like a champ but it haves a serious problem. It allows very fine dust particules through the cover. Any flapping or dragging of the cover over time(8 months for me) results in spider web scratches on paint. It takes the right lighting to see them but they are there. The area between the rear window and the license plate is now showing those spider webs. When I take the cover off I roll the cover from the front to the rear dragging it along the hood. The film on the hood and mirrors has self healed every time resulting in absolutely no spider webs. Paint still looks like it was on day one. I have polished the spider web area back to showroom quality with a polishing compound. Next week I'm having film installed on that area. Goodbye spider webs!

If I were getting a black car I would install the film on the entire car. You would never have to worry about spider webs or the polishing needed to keep it looking like new. It will be pricey but worth it.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nathan,

You're probably looking at 5-6K for the full custom wrap, 3m and opti coat. Try to get a bundle price. The Xpel is worth every dollar and I wish I did the opti coat because you have to put sealant on the xpel 4x a year. That said, it's super easy to maintain and clean. Bird bombs come off fairly easily and no problems with pollen dust or winter salt. I was wondering how it would hold up during the winter with sub freezing temps, snow and ice and I have been thoroughly impressed. The crystalline is equally impressive, especially on the front windshield and sunroof. I got 70 on everything and no glare, hazing or distortion and the heat rejection has been great since I'm parked out in the street all the time.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride.