Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Why SQ5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by dokebi1221
I do love Audi and have S8 my self, but was just curious why people chose SQ5 when they could have gotten little bit bigger cousin with more power Cayenne S (Used low miles) and updated interior with the same money.
Warranty - or lack thereof on a 7 year old Cayenne.
Also, the 2010 Cayenne IMHO isn't all that from the interior PoV. Furthermore, if you think pricing out fixes and maintenance on your Audi was pricey, wait till you get hit with the P-car tax

Oh and this might help: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...ne%85-2874867/

Last edited by raj99; 03-09-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Warranty - or lack thereof on a 7 year old Cayenne.
Also, the 2010 Cayenne IMHO isn't all that from the interior PoV. Furthermore, if you think pricing out fixes and maintenance on your Audi was pricey, wait till you get hit with the P-car tax

Oh and this might help: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...ne%85-2874867/
Oh yea, definitely you will need to buy Audi/Porsche either with CPO or extended warranty. I'd never buy a German without a warranty. When I bought my S8 4 years ago, bought with the extended warranty and it paid off within a year.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Oh yea, definitely you will need to buy Audi/Porsche either with CPO or extended warranty. I'd never buy a German without a warranty. When I bought my S8 4 years ago, bought with the extended warranty and it paid off within a year.
The Audi will already have it's remaining OEM warranty and if you get it from Audi it'll be CPO'd. Doubt you will get a 7 year old CPOd Cayenne and any after market warranty will be based upon the original cost of the vehicle, so when you start comparing a mid $40s Cayenne S, be aware that the warranty will cost some serious coin.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I do love Audi and have S8 my self, but was just curious why people chose SQ5 when they could have gotten little bit bigger cousin with more power Cayenne S (Used low miles) and updated interior with the same money.
When it came down to the fact that I didn't need the extra power and like the looks of the Audi better. The rear end doesn't do anything for me on the Cayenne but Oh how i love the SQ5 Tail lights.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
The Audi will already have it's remaining OEM warranty and if you get it from Audi it'll be CPO'd. Doubt you will get a 7 year old CPOd Cayenne and any after market warranty will be based upon the original cost of the vehicle, so when you start comparing a mid $40s Cayenne S, be aware that the warranty will cost some serious coin.
That is true for sure. I wonder if that was the game changer for the people who chose SQ5.

Originally Posted by 2lato
When it came down to the fact that I didn't need the extra power and like the looks of the Audi better. The rear end doesn't do anything for me on the Cayenne but Oh how i love the SQ5 Tail lights.
True, Cayenne's butt is not really sexy compare to SQ5. I do also love that SQ5 has panoramic roof standard unlike Cayenne.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wouldn't buy a Cayenne out of warranty. No way. Owning an audi out of warranty gives me the creeps, but I can just imagine the costs associated with maintaining an aging Cayenne. I've never piloted a Cayenne, but I can honestly say the 5-minute test drive I took in the SQ5 at my local dealer left me with no doubt it was the car/SUV for me. The only thing that would change my mind down the road is if the RSQ5 hits these shores.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While narrowing down a new SQ5 and Macan S, I looked at a used 2010 Cayenne. Quickly I knew it wasn't for ME because....

As a single guy with no ex wives or any kids, I don't need nor like the Porsche's size, looks, maintenance and it looked outdated compared to the Macan. Speaking outdated there are a few things about my SQ's interior that I and many others have covered in recent posts, but the Audi's sport seats won me over. While not any better than the Macan's seats, I like them better than the older Cayenne. Truth be known I do not remember which specific Cayenne seat the demo had.

Subjective looks, as a few have stated, I did not like the rear end of the Cayenne. I also do not like the rear end of the Macan. Reminds me of my 2015 Audi Q3, and I wanted far far away from that (kind of like dating a new girl with same name as recent ex).

And the 2010 Cayenne did not have a warranty. When every German car salesman in the valley tells me "you do not want this without a warranty" it was instant walk-away time from the Porsche.

I was also looking for the grin factor. The supercharged SQ did it for me. The Macan kinda did it for me even though it's admittedly a better sports car driven at the limit, but for everyday driving it didn't make me smile. The older Cayenne made me look forward to putting it in P and getting out.

To each their own. My sis in law has a Toyota Rav4 Limited that she thinks is the bees knees and wouldn't trade for anything including mine. Can't convince her or you or anyone otherwise. Get what floats your boat. Enjoy!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

55cadillacking
"... I can honestly say the 5-minute test drive I took in the SQ5 at my local dealer left me with no doubt it was the car/SUV for me."

+1
Old 03-09-2016, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with so much that's already been said, so I won't repeat any of that.

I'm sure this varies by location, but Cayennes are a dime a dozen around here, whereas SQ5s are a rare bird. Plus, I look at the people climbing out of their Cayennes and they look nothing like me, so... the SQ5 was the easy and obvious choice given the current options. For me, with a growing family, the extra head/cargo room in the SQ5 made more sense than the Macan, even though we did consider it. Nice ride but not worth the "tax."
Old 03-09-2016, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think you understand that we don't all want a "little bit bigger" car. The size of the SQ5 is exactly what I wanted, and the "outdated" interior is just fine for me as well. Sometimes, designers just design themselves into something very ugly, in the name of progress.....witness the Lexus GS 350!