Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What's the story to factory tow hitch option on 2013s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the story to factory tow hitch option on 2013s?

I just ordered a Q5 3.0T for delivery in Dec/Jan (US). Dealer just called me to say that Audi had asked all dealers to amend orders to remove the tow hitch option because it is not available until further notice. They don't have any more info than that.

Does anyone have any more info on this? Is it because of the back bumper re-design? The tow hitch is a deal breaker and I don't really want to go aftermarket on a brand new car. Plus if Audi is having trouble figuring how to make one available what is the chance that an after market vendor will have one that works on 2013s...... Any further info much appreciated.

V
Old 10-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Hitch info

The hitch is port installed and Audi says they are not available. When they are available the dealer can install it. Suggest you get dealer to agree to it at the same price.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just ordered a 2.0T Q5 and wanted the hitch as well. I was told by my dealer that the bumper redesign caused some problems with the installation of the hitch. I was also told it's a simple fix, and that it should only be a couple of weeks before they have it figured out and can start installing at the port.

Now my dealer and I had this discussion before Audi told them to remove the option from the order sheets, so maybe something changed. We're scheduled for a mid January delivery so if they figure out the fix before then, I'm told we'll be able to add it back onto the car for a port install.

Sounds like it's all up in the air.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience as well. Key is to have the dealer agree in writing to install the hitch at the $850 price point either as a PIO or dealer install.

I have an after market installation on my 2011 2.0 and never got so far as to integrate the electronics - too concerned with the Audi electronics. I only use the hitch for carrying bicycles and in the off chance I get rear-ended.

At least it seems as if the 3.0 cars will start production soon.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My dealer has a hitch to install on my Q5 which happened to come in today. He wants to know if I want it installed using the old procedure or wait for the new instructions if there are new ones. How bad can the old way be? He said the old way involves shaving a small piece of the bumper cover underneath where its not visible. Not sure what to do.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, that is a bummer. One of the principal reasons I'm a couple of days away from ordering a Q5 3.0T is to have a tow hitch that I can use with my bike carrier. I would hate to mess up the car with an aftermarket hitch. So far noone told me that this is not possible....
Old 10-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My salesman AND the service dept have both emailed AUDI to get info on the tow hitch and neither have received a reply. My dealer has a hitch in stock with my name on it, so its not a supply issue, but I cant understand why they cant get the green light from corporate. A simple yes or no would be nice.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hmmm... My 2013 tow hitch works just fine...

I picked up my 2013 Cuvee Silver Q5 2.0 Premium Plus here in Houston Tuesday, Oct 23 after it arrived at the port of Houston on Friday, Oct 19. The extra day's delay was to allow installation of the trailer hitch at the port. It is absolutely factory-legitimate, there was no apparent damage of any kind to the bumper, and it's sturdy as can be. I ordered it and it came through... never any discussion to the otherwise. By the way, my dealer informed me that I probably have the first Cuvee Silver Q5 in Houston! I also got the sport package, chestnut brown leather, MMI Plus, and 19" wheels. I'll see if I can get some pics up for you guys.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jkf398
I picked up my 2013 Cuvee Silver Q5 2.0 Premium Plus here in Houston Tuesday, Oct 23 after it arrived at the port of Houston on Friday, Oct 19. The extra day's delay was to allow installation of the trailer hitch at the port. It is absolutely factory-legitimate, there was no apparent damage of any kind to the bumper, and it's sturdy as can be. I ordered it and it came through... never any discussion to the otherwise. By the way, my dealer informed me that I probably have the first Cuvee Silver Q5 in Houston! I also got the sport package, chestnut brown leather, MMI Plus, and 19" wheels. I'll see if I can get some pics up for you guys.
Pictures of the tow bar will be greatly appreciated, especially since you are stating that there is no change to the bumber. The previous model had a cut-out to the bumper.

Last edited by dsackman; 10-26-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just got an email from my dealer saying that service got the go ahead and the hitch is installed. I can pick the Q up on Monday. The delay in picking it up is my fault as I am too busy today and tomorrow. I will gladly post a few pictures on Monday if anyone wishes.

Quick Reply: What's the story to factory tow hitch option on 2013s?