Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What's the most mileage you have been able to get out of a tank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the most mileage you have been able to get out of a tank?

So far the best mileage on my 3.2 I have gotten is like 355 miles on a tank of gas. I think thats better than my last car, which wasn't a speed machine, but not really an econobox either.

Also, I know the car has a reserve tank, but when does the gauge indicate the main tank is empty? Is it at the first red line on the gas gauge or when it is fully depleted on E?

Old 04-20-2012, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default MPG

Good question, we have the same engine & on our recent trip to Florida we averaged right around 28 MPG.
Now that we have 9K on the vehicle the last tank gave us 30.1 MPG.
Understand that is 80% highway but that is way better then I was hoping for.

As for tankfull you do the math & that is around 540 miles.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have done just over 500 miles in the past on a trip.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Good question, we have the same engine & on our recent trip to Florida we averaged right around 28 MPG.
Now that we have 9K on the vehicle the last tank gave us 30.1 MPG.
Understand that is 80% highway but that is way better then I was hoping for.

As for tankful you do the math & that is around 540 miles.
WOW!!! I had no idea these things could get that good of gas mileage. I have not tested the mileage on our Q5 yet as my wife drives it most of the time. I did a long trip in my 2012 A4 and got 479 miles out of 14 gallons of gas. That was when I had just over 5,000 miles on the car, so it's still has a long way to go to break in really good. If our Q5 could get 30 MPG, I would be really happy. I had a 2007 Saturn Vue hybrid that was getting 31-32 MPG. This would be MUCH better to get almost the same gas mileage without having the hassles of owning a hybrid. Our Vue had to go to the dealer for so many electrical problems. I ended up giving it back as a lemon. Love our Audi's so far. Fun to drive.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AWallace45
So far the best mileage on my 3.2 I have gotten is like 355 miles on a tank of gas. I think thats better than my last car, which wasn't a speed machine, but not really an econobox either.

Also, I know the car has a reserve tank, but when does the gauge indicate the main tank is empty? Is it at the first red line on the gas gauge or when it is fully depleted on E?

When you hit the red line you have approximately 2.5 gallons left.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've gotten 500 miles out of my 3.2

funny i've gotten better mileage in my 3.2 than the 2.0

go figure....
Old 04-23-2012, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

428 miles at 23.9 mpgs...3.2V6
Old 04-23-2012, 05:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
i've gotten 500 miles out of my 3.2

funny i've gotten better mileage in my 3.2 than the 2.0

go figure....
I could have easily went more than 500 miles with my 2.0T. I still had plenty of gas left when I filled up at 479 miles. I had another long trip to go on the next day so I filled up again at the closest gas station. I'd like to bring an extra gallon of gas with me and drive the tank to bone dry just to see how far it would actually go. I heard that it's not good for the fuel pump to do that, though.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Florida trip mileage

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
428 miles at 23.9 mpgs...3.2V6
My trip from Ottawa to Florida was my first very long trip with my 3.2 Sline Q (2 people and two bikes on tray style bike rack attached to trailer hitch). Manually calculated gas mileage on the way down averaged close to 23 mpg (best was 23.7) with average speeds around 80 mph (keeping up with traffic). One I hit South Carolina the air was on with minimal impact to the avg mpg. More than impressed with mpg and would be even more impressed with mpg if I could only observe the posted limits (lol). Unfortunately, my month long vacation on the ocean is coming to a close and I will soon have the day and a half trip back to Ottawa. Also impressed with how great the seats and overall comfort is during my 12 hour driving stretch (Ottawa to Wilson, NC and reverse).
Old 04-23-2012, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luv2golf
My trip from Ottawa to Florida was my first very long trip with my 3.2 Sline Q (2 people and two bikes on tray style bike rack attached to trailer hitch). Manually calculated gas mileage on the way down averaged close to 23 mpg (best was 23.7) with average speeds around 80 mph (keeping up with traffic). One I hit South Carolina the air was on with minimal impact to the avg mpg. More than impressed with mpg and would be even more impressed with mpg if I could only observe the posted limits (lol). Unfortunately, my month long vacation on the ocean is coming to a close and I will soon have the day and a half trip back to Ottawa. Also impressed with how great the seats and overall comfort is during my 12 hour driving stretch (Ottawa to Wilson, NC and reverse).
you know, til you said something, I had forgotten that the best fuel mileage I ever attained was with a fully loaded boot and a loaded cargo box on top. Avg speed was about about 70 mph.
I'm sure my Q5 could get better than 25 mpgs with minimal cargo and no box...especially if avg speed came down a bit.

Quick Reply: What's the most mileage you have been able to get out of a tank?