Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What are your gripes about the Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
Love the car but....
  1. Steering pulsing at very low speeds or on very smooth surfaces (epoxy coated concrete like in under ground car parks)
  2. Rattle in sun roof
  3. Lethargic launch with S-Tronic transmission (non North American cars only)
  4. The contempt with which the Audi service centres treat you
Crusty, 1 and 2 they fixed for me at 5K service. #1 there is a TSB out now. #2 I had a rattle with the sun shade open or closed. They said they just greased the tracks of the roof. It made a huge difference (so far anyway). I have the backseat rattles still, but the sunroof was constant and very annoying, it's nice not to hear that anymore...
Old 02-20-2011, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not many at all. I really love this car. I only wish that the preset stations had actual numbered buttons instead of having to select with the **** then pushing it to actually select the station. That's it!

Nelson
Old 02-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

MMI should "remember" your preferential settings, such as "RANDOM" for music tracks, "PRESETS" for radio, etc. Just crazy to have to reset these every time you start the car.

NAV map should name more streets in 2D mode.

Heated seats should default to OFF, not ON.

Rear camera is nice; how about a front camera, too?

I'd still give the car 4 stars, but there are some illogical things about it that could easily be remedied.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:03 PM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JFA in L.A.
MMI should "remember" your preferential settings, such as "RANDOM" for music tracks, "PRESETS" for radio, etc. Just crazy to have to reset these every time you start the car.
I must not be understanding something. I cannot believe that radio presets (however the system addresses them) don't stay saved. HPH
Old 02-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The presets remain in the MMI system once you set them.
However, every time you select RADIO, you must also select PRESETS to see actually see them.
My gripe is: when you hit radio, it should default to PRESETS every time. What's the point of having presets if you have to call them up each time you run the radio?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

1. No tire psi readout (my daughter's $21,000 Malibu has one)
2. speedometer is ridiculous, with its top speed, too closely spaced markers for the 0 - 80 segment (thank goodness for the digital display)
3. Nav is poor for identifying current street when not using guidance, or cross streets
4. plastic for turn signal and flasher stalks flimsy feeling
5. material on gearshift **** feels like a very cheap vinyl (this and #4 are surprising given how high end the rest of the interior is)

None of these are big deals. Certainly minor when compared to the DRL and water pump maladies. Still feel the car is great value for what it provides and as compared to its competitors.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Miss the storage bins underneath the seats.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by js from nc
1. No tire psi readout (my daughter's $21,000 Malibu has one)
2. speedometer is ridiculous, with its top speed, too closely spaced markers for the 0 - 80 segment (thank goodness for the digital display)

+1 on those 2. Psi readout would be an awesome feature. Speedometer I have permanently set to digital because of what you have described.

Relating to this (I posted this is an earlier gripes thread), in digital speedo mode the music source shows above the speedometer. You can not configure the digital speedometer display to show the Time/Date. I understand the time is posted on the MMI at all times.

But its counter-intuitive to display the MMI source on the speedometer, and have to look at the MMI to see the time. It should be reversed. The time should be posted on every speedometer display option, or you should be able to customize it this way.

Again, these are minor grievances. But it's funny how simple features, that would seem obvious to include, are frequently passed over.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

FULL SIZE SPARE! There's no excuse for a space-saver in an SUV, let alone a deflated space-saver.

The front passenger seat should be able to collapse forward to carry long items, since the car is quite short

The roof crossbars look very unattractive on the car IMO - I think they could have done a better design job integrating them.

The pop-up mesh wind deflector when you open the pano roof looks awful.

The rear windows should go all the way down.

The navigation (and the whole car, for that matter) is not co-pilot friendly. The driver information display has too much of the essential info on it, and everything is too tilted towards the driver.

Redundant stereo controls like BMW so you can adjust with the nav running without the display changing

Annoying that the nav doesn't show the direction of traffic flow on streets. My Land Rover had arrows to show that.

The steering wheel thumb wheels should be the other way around. Volume on the left, menu selections on the right. Also the click to repeat navigation command is stupid - that button should be "next track/station"

Split-screen nav. And make it a touch screen.

iPod out with full control of the iPod

Stereo bluetooth

The cruise control should be exactly the same, but to the right of the steering wheel (like toyota/lexus)

Lefty-loosey, righty-tighty anyone? Twist ***** (sunroof, MMI) are backwards...

Speedometer is ridiculous

Wish the quattro were just a little bit more rear-biased (just a little, nothing crazy). I don't love how much the car likes to understeer.

Wish the 3.2 exhaust note were a little more throaty. I drove a 2009 A6 3.2 that had an AMAZING exhaust note... don't know if it's the same engine but I really loved that and found the Q5's a bit sedate. Of course I understand that a quiet exhaust is probably more to the liking of the soccer mom crowd.

Better rear air conditioner... it's pretty weak.

Better seat heaters... they take too long to get hot, even compared with VW Passat loaners I've had.

Adaptive headlights (I have a 2010 premium plus)

Seat memory buttons should only be pressed once IMO... so annoying to have to press and hold until the seat finishes adjusting.

At night, with the auto lights on, when I open the door while the car is still running I get a "lights on" warning message and tone, which I have to cancel if I want to leave the door open and the car running. This is stupid. The "lights on" warning should ONLY be for when you have turned off the car and are therefore likely to forget to turn off the lights. If you're leaving your car and it's running, the fact that the lights are on is the least of your problems. No other car I've driven does this.

More voice commands
Old 02-25-2011, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hernan1304
FULL SIZE SPARE! There's no excuse for a space-saver in an SUV, let alone a deflated space-saver.

The front passenger seat should be able to collapse forward to carry long items, since the car is quite short

The roof crossbars look very unattractive on the car IMO - I think they could have done a better design job integrating them.

The pop-up mesh wind deflector when you open the pano roof looks awful.

The rear windows should go all the way down.

The navigation (and the whole car, for that matter) is not co-pilot friendly. The driver information display has too much of the essential info on it, and everything is too tilted towards the driver.

Redundant stereo controls like BMW so you can adjust with the nav running without the display changing

Annoying that the nav doesn't show the direction of traffic flow on streets. My Land Rover had arrows to show that.

The steering wheel thumb wheels should be the other way around. Volume on the left, menu selections on the right. Also the click to repeat navigation command is stupid - that button should be "next track/station"

Split-screen nav. And make it a touch screen.

iPod out with full control of the iPod

Stereo bluetooth

The cruise control should be exactly the same, but to the right of the steering wheel (like toyota/lexus)

Lefty-loosey, righty-tighty anyone? Twist ***** (sunroof, MMI) are backwards...

Speedometer is ridiculous

Wish the quattro were just a little bit more rear-biased (just a little, nothing crazy). I don't love how much the car likes to understeer.

Wish the 3.2 exhaust note were a little more throaty. I drove a 2009 A6 3.2 that had an AMAZING exhaust note... don't know if it's the same engine but I really loved that and found the Q5's a bit sedate. Of course I understand that a quiet exhaust is probably more to the liking of the soccer mom crowd.

Better rear air conditioner... it's pretty weak.

Better seat heaters... they take too long to get hot, even compared with VW Passat loaners I've had.

Adaptive headlights (I have a 2010 premium plus)

Seat memory buttons should only be pressed once IMO... so annoying to have to press and hold until the seat finishes adjusting.

At night, with the auto lights on, when I open the door while the car is still running I get a "lights on" warning message and tone, which I have to cancel if I want to leave the door open and the car running. This is stupid. The "lights on" warning should ONLY be for when you have turned off the car and are therefore likely to forget to turn off the lights. If you're leaving your car and it's running, the fact that the lights are on is the least of your problems. No other car I've driven does this.

More voice commands
Damn you have a lot of "complaints" although most of them seem to be personal preferences.....

i do agree with you on many though.

Quick Reply: What are your gripes about the Q5?