Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What CUV/SUVs are slightly bigger than the Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everybody! I've got a lot of research to do on these suggestions.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Q5 a bit small? Aw come on it's all in the planning/packing.

I have two infant carriers and a convertible car seat across the back. In the trunk I have a double stroller in the trunk at all times and on Sat also crammed in two shopping carts of stuff from costco. I actually find it more roomy than our Highlander since we had to stick our 3 yo on the 3rd row and our's doesn't have a split 3rd row seat. It's also a pain since we have to pop the carrier base to slide the second row seat forward to let her climb in and get her buckled.

I drove a Mazda CX (can't remember if it was the 7 or 9) a few years ago and thought it wasn't too bad for the price. Might revisit it now that I have three kids. Let us know what you decide. I think my Q5 days are numbered as well.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had an Acura MDX for 18 months before I got the Q5 and it has lots of room in the trunk with the third row of seats down. Also has plenty of room between front and second row of seats. It has plenty of room for your family to grow. Power is great and handles well.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I often tell people that the last generation Acura MDX was the best car I have ever owned. I liked it better than my old MB GL450, Mitsubishi Montero, much better than Toyota Sienna AWD, and in some ways even better than my A8L.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The CX-7 is being discontinued as the new CX-5 is smaller on the outside yet larger on the inside, so act quickly if you're serious about it. (The CX-5 has pretty impressive cargo capacity with excellent fuel economy. Sadly, it's a little underpowered with the standard four cylinder, so the smart move is to wait for the upcoming diesel version.) The CX-9 is definitely one of the sportier 3-row crossovers and worth at least a test drive. The new RDX, while smaller than the MDX, is larger than the Q5. The RDX offers a roomy backseat and low, useful cargo area. The Venza is larger than the Q5, although I was disappointed with the cheap interior materials and relatively rough ride. If you're looking for a bargain, the Volvo XC-90 has been refreshed for '13. Even with the updates, the styling is a little dated, but you know it will protect your family. Finally, you might want to at least look at the 2013 Escape. The cargo capacity nearly matches the larger Edge, and the 2nd row seats fold completely flat with the cargo floor. The Titanium with the 2.0T should offer impressive performance, and it has some optional features you would expect to find on a luxury nameplate. I don't expect it to offer the refinement of our Audi, but the value factor seems impressive. And that foot-operated auto tailgate is darn clever.

EDIT: I forgot the Outback, which is also tweener size. And the Flex is on the large size, but drives smaller than it is. Plus the EcoBoost V6 has some serious giddy-up.

Last edited by HotRodW; 04-16-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by xradman
I often tell people that the last generation Acura MDX was the best car I have ever owned. I liked it better than my old MB GL450, Mitsubishi Montero, much better than Toyota Sienna AWD, and in some ways even better than my A8L.
+1. Had a 2008 and it was excellent. We may require a larger vehicle in the fall (bye-bye S4 ), and I'd seriously consider another one.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

One easy way to compare cars is on this web site. It gives you all the spec side by side between any versions and manufacturers.

http://www.guideautoweb.com/en/new_cars/
Old 04-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Touareg is bigger. Get diesel version. Expensive.

If want to save $$, get the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Great car. Based on Mercedes platform and feels like it!

Subaru Outack has a HUGE backseat room and beats all comers in this arena (popular with NBA players and their tall families). Great car. Great resale value.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:36 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had both. My '09 was without B&O, the 2011 has B&O. There is a definite difference for those that have heard and/or had both, and if I were to order new (which I seldom do) it would be a must.

That said, if someday I'm 'shopping' again and find a Q5 that has all my required options but no B&O I would still consider it. I think the standard system is also good.

Hope that helps,
tgt
Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Any thoughts on the Chevy Traverse? I like the way it looks (exterior).

Quick Reply: What CUV/SUVs are slightly bigger than the Q5?