Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What changes would you make for the 2011 Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
that makes sense....but then again, my car is always clean! even if it is bad weather and all.

i do second the heated steering wheel!
also it would be nice for the right mirror to tilt and when you shift to d, tilt back up right away!
So my 2010 already does the right mirror tilt if I put it into reverse and it flips back up when I go to drive. The mirror adjuster has to be on the right mirror though. Not sure why mine does it. When I was buying it the dealer said it wouldn't.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by abacon09
So my 2010 already does the right mirror tilt if I put it into reverse and it flips back up when I go to drive. The mirror adjuster has to be on the right mirror though. Not sure why mine does it. When I was buying it the dealer said it wouldn't.
ahh silly me, i meant left. the pass tilts, driver doesn't. whats annoying is mine doesn't tilt up until you go over 9 mph or if you change the selector out of the right position.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

My changes would be small. I would:

1) Raise the trunk lift height 4" so those 6' Don't bang their head so easily
2) Manual Tranny for North America
3) 3.0T North America
4) Heated/ Cooled Cup Holder Canada
5) Adaptive Cruise Canada
6) More Street Names on the Nav Screen
7) More voice commands for all major functions in the car (ala Acura design)
8) Integrated mud flaps that do a better job of keeping stones from hitting up the side of the car on SLine Model.
9) Cooled Seats
10) Most of the above could be solved by permitting buyer to have access to all options available for any special order car for North America. If it's an available option somewhere in the world and it's legal, allow a special order customer to pay for and have (whatever) on thier Q.

Nothing Major and most of it is a push button fix for Canadian Customers. It's a beautiful car, hard to knock it.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GolfGL
The difference may not be so obvious to you but probably much appreciated by oncoming vehicles. The wash should cut on glare especially on salty/slushy roads.
It's actually even more important than that. I work in the lighting industry. HID Metal Halide lamps are extremely heat sensitive. Grit and grime build up on the refractor (lens) can cause the lens to overheat as well as sending inter-reflected flux back into the lamp filament causing premature lamp failure. In Europe headlight washers are mandated by law for HID headlamps. In North America I guess it's just considered another potential source of revenue.

If you don't have headlight washers (like me), but you do have HID headlights (like me), it's a good idea to clean the headlights with the free little sponge and squeegee at the gas station when you fill up should you notice that thay are really dirty.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MiTT
It's actually even more important than that. I work in the lighting industry. HID Metal Halide lamps are extremely heat sensitive. Grit and grime build up on the refractor (lens) can cause the lens to overheat as well as sending inter-reflected flux back into the lamp filament causing premature lamp failure. In Europe headlight washers are mandated by law for HID headlamps. In North America I guess it's just considered another potential source of revenue.

If you don't have headlight washers (like me), but you do have HID headlights (like me), it's a good idea to clean the headlights with the free little sponge and squeegee at the gas station when you fill up should you notice that thay are really dirty.
now that makes sense! at gas stations when the car is dirty i clean all those areas. but i can't see how a jet spray can clean a headlight. Road salt is not easy to get off. MB had wipers back in the day which i can see to make sense. Some washer fluid won't do that good of a job IMO. Also from what i understand, halogen lights get hotter then most HID's. The ballasts get hot. and most cars are projectors too so not as much heat is on the lens and outside case. unless the light reflets back and warms the rest of it up?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have to say that at first I hated the large wing mirrors, but after 5 months, I've got used to them. What I would like though is to be able to build a playlist on the fly directly from the MMI. I'd also like a manual speed-limiter, as I used to have on my ML.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kennyboy
Have to say that at first I hated the large wing mirrors, but after 5 months, I've got used to them. What I would like though is to be able to build a playlist on the fly directly from the MMI. I'd also like a manual speed-limiter, as I used to have on my ML.
manual as you have to drive that speed to set it? you can do that. Drive the speed and then push the set or the 0 button on the dash. read the manual for more. our cars have 2 speed limiter presets.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I guess you are talking about setting the cruise control, which I never use here in Europe. However the ML had a limiter, so that in areas where I know there are lots of fixed radar traps, I can set a maximum speed for the car. All I've found on the Q5 is a setting which, if the speed is exceeded, just makes a barely audible sound, puts a warning logo onto the dash, but still allows you to accelerate further. On the ML you had to manually override a "governed" preset speed. I always found this a useful feature and was surprised not to find it on the Q5.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I only have a few minor wishes:

A toggle switch on the steering wheel to select next/prev track or preset depending on the MMI mode.

Have the MMI and other car systems remember their state from when the car was switched off.

The rear view camera should come on instantly when you shift into reverse (not 5 sec later).

And I'll second the call for more street names to show on the nav map.

Overall I'm loving my 2010 Prestige.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mike678
I only have a few minor wishes:

A toggle switch on the steering wheel to select next/prev track or preset depending on the MMI mode.

Have the MMI and other car systems remember their state from when the car was switched off.

The rear view camera should come on instantly when you shift into reverse (not 5 sec later).

And I'll second the call for more street names to show on the nav map.

Overall I'm loving my 2010 Prestige.
and adding to yours, put the toggle switches on opposite sides then they are now! and rear view camera should be a standard feature. every model has a screen, why can't they all have a simple camera?

Quick Reply: What changes would you make for the 2011 Q5?