Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Video: BMW X3 vs Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here it is beaten to death....

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2797615
Old 03-17-2011, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FitzLA
Dude this video has been discussed here a thousand times. No, it's NOT true. It's a BMW dealership that made this video, and they manipulated the driving to make this happen. You can tell by the way they are trying to take the Audi up the ramp, that they are purposely doing this. Remember, Audi INVENTED Quattro. There are plenty of other videos showing what Quattro is capable of.
FitzLA, you need to stop misleading people.

The results in this test are 100% genuine - if you subject your Q5 to the same test it will perform exactly the same as in the video. It will perform better with ESP Off than with ESP On but neither setting is able to force the centre TORSEN diff to transmit enough torque to the axle with traction.

The real question is whether this test is a realistic situation and if you are likely to encounter it in your travels - that is something for individuals to assess for themselves.

The Q5's drive train is tuned for on road performance and light off road use, it is not designed for extreme situations.

To the OP, if you are concerned about the way the Q5 performs in this video and you feel that you need a vehicle that is able to cope with such extreme situations, then do not buy a Q5!
Old 03-17-2011, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
FitzLA, you need to stop misleading people.

The results in this test are 100% genuine - if you subject your Q5 to the same test it will perform exactly the same as in the video. It will perform better with ESP Off than with ESP On but neither setting is able to force the centre TORSEN diff to transmit enough torque to the axle with traction.

The real question is whether this test is a realistic situation and if you are likely to encounter it in your travels - that is something for individuals to assess for themselves.

The Q5's drive train is tuned for on road performance and light off road use, it is not designed for extreme situations.

To the OP, if you are concerned about the way the Q5 performs in this video and you feel that you need a vehicle that is able to cope with such extreme situations, then do not buy a Q5!
+1

The X3 is more capable Off road than the Q5, so for those planning on going off road - i'd recommend the X3. For everyone else, i'd get a Q5 any day of the week.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Funny, because my Q5 performs better in snow (and I mean a lot of snow) than my friends X5. I'm not misleading anyone. You can tell by the way they are driving that they manipulated the experience.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FitzLA
Funny, because my Q5 performs better in snow (and I mean a lot of snow) than my friends X5. I'm not misleading anyone. You can tell by the way they are driving that they manipulated the experience.
Better in the snow maybe, off road no.

Last edited by the-oneil; 03-17-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by the-oneil
Better in the snow maybe, off road no.
If I wanted an off road vehicle, it wouldn't be a Audi or a BMW. Just sayin'
Old 03-17-2011, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my .02, Where i find that Quattro earns it's keep is the fact that it is a lightweight fully mechanical system. It doesn't add much weight nor does it take away from the driveline much. It works very quickly in changing road conditions and it doesn't feel like an awd system, it holds the vehicle really well. I hate an awd system that feels like the rear is gonna kick, then understeer (such as the 3 series w/ xdrive) It works well except in rough situations. I'm sure it'll do well ok offroad but in snow which is tricky like sand or mud it does have a disadvantage but how often are you in that terrain, not to mention the greatest benefactor is a good set of tires in those conditions.

Could quattro be better, yes. does it work well yes.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went to the BMW X3 driving event, and had a chance to compare it to Q5.

I didn't stay for the presentation on AWD comparison, but at the beginning the host did emphasize the flexibility of Xdrive to transfer power, including rear torque vectoring (to a certain extent).

BMW found a way to showcase the advantage of its system. It's pretty good marketing for sure.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's worthwhile to mention that the next generation quattro, which uses a crown gear differential and clutches instead of the torsen, will solve the current limitations. The RS5 uses this and I'd expect this could trickle down to other models in the future.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:24 PM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Because I raised questions about this previously, I thought I'd add some new (to this thread) information on the topic.

This review means either that those here who are touting the X3's offroad capabilities are, well, lacking real information or that the Q5 is truly abominable offroad.

X3 Review

Quick Reply: Video: BMW X3 vs Audi Q5