Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Video: BMW X3 vs Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video: BMW X3 vs Audi Q5

I found this Video on the internet- could someone explain how this could be true?

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/10...all-wheel.html

PLease note the rollers on the ramp- simulates no traction on the front wheels.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude this video has been discussed here a thousand times. No, it's NOT true. It's a BMW dealership that made this video, and they manipulated the driving to make this happen. You can tell by the way they are trying to take the Audi up the ramp, that they are purposely doing this. Remember, Audi INVENTED Quattro. There are plenty of other videos showing what Quattro is capable of.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by boomer45
I found this Video on the internet- could someone explain how this could be true?

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/10...all-wheel.html

PLease note the rollers on the ramp- simulates no traction on the front wheels.
Best answer look at this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx2mgPw33r4
Old 03-16-2011, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Jebus!
Has the search function recently imploded or something on this site?
Old 03-16-2011, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

winters over, maybe next winter i'll care to respond lol
Old 03-16-2011, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ESP was turn off. It's not the first time BMW or others have done this.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default BMW X3 v. Q5

Went to a BMW X3 demo event, where participants could drive BMW X3's and 3 competitors. they showed a longer video with BMW v. Q5, Mercedes GLK 350 and Lexus SUV. Each vehicle was set up on rollers, first with rollers (no traction) on the front wheels, then the rear, then only one rear wheel with traction. BMW immediately had greater traction on every test, and moved off the rollers much quicker. Lexus was the worst, with Audi and Mercedes in the middle.
They had a graph which claimed that BMW was the only vehicle in the test capable of transferring 100% of its power from the front wheels to the back, and vice-versa,as needed for traction. If necessary, the rear differential could transfer most, but not quite all traction to a single rear wheel with traction. I can't recall the exact percentages listed for the other cars, but I do recall that Mercedes could only transfer 70% to the axle with the most traction, and Lexus was limited to a 35% transfer to the rear wheels. Audi was somewhere near Mercedes I am not qualified to interpret this data, but is it disprovable? BMW is running these events nationwide. I'd be surprised if the whole thing is a fraud.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Thanks for posting this video.

I don't drive on rollers.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by nooB5
Jebus!
Has the search function recently imploded or something on this site?
Haha! That's got to be it. Maybe one of the mods can do a graph over time showing how often new posts on this topic show up.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by suvguy
Went to a BMW X3 demo event, where participants could drive BMW X3's and 3 competitors. they showed a longer video with BMW v. Q5, Mercedes GLK 350 and Lexus SUV. Each vehicle was set up on rollers, first with rollers (no traction) on the front wheels, then the rear, then only one rear wheel with traction. BMW immediately had greater traction on every test, and moved off the rollers much quicker. Lexus was the worst, with Audi and Mercedes in the middle.
They had a graph which claimed that BMW was the only vehicle in the test capable of transferring 100% of its power from the front wheels to the back, and vice-versa,as needed for traction. If necessary, the rear differential could transfer most, but not quite all traction to a single rear wheel with traction. I can't recall the exact percentages listed for the other cars, but I do recall that Mercedes could only transfer 70% to the axle with the most traction, and Lexus was limited to a 35% transfer to the rear wheels. Audi was somewhere near Mercedes I am not qualified to interpret this data, but is it disprovable? BMW is running these events nationwide. I'd be surprised if the whole thing is a fraud.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...&postcount=180

Quick Reply: Video: BMW X3 vs Audi Q5