Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Vcds woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vcds woes

Hello everyone,
I'm working with 2015 Q5 Premium Plus, 2.0TfSI 120.000 miles. Fresh full rebuild.
After getting the engine back together and in the vehicle I've noticed that although it is running and sounding great, my fuel trim could definitely be tweeked a bit. Also I've obviously put a new timing system in and I need to reset the chain length with the ECM. Really there's a lot I would like to do. But I cannot for the life if me open any channels whatsoever at adaptations. I have the software, it's licensed, I have the interface from Ross Tech (HEX-V2), yet I'm still getting the 'error-channel not available', on every single channel and it's really starting to rub me the wrong way that I sprung for this equipment and it's basically just an expensive scanner (I know the software is free but I also bought a very nice Panasonic Tough Book, brand new, just for this application. I'm not really concerned about the temp of the seat or which headlight scheme it's running. I want to set values in my engine like Ross - Tech said I could when they sold me it. I hook my interface up, hit the ignition, clear any codes I may have, go to engine, adaptations, and click any channel and I get that message. I can't even open the ones that have no potential to cause damage and if they were, please understand something about me: I'm a very private person, I don't like people asking me what I want this access for. In the nicest possible way I try to explain that it doesn't matter what I want them for, it's my car. I'll do as I please with it up to and including burning it up. I rebuilt it completely without involving Audi so I have a handle on the mechanics. It's out of warranty and completely paid for, long ago. I'm the only person who suffers if I make a wrong move. I know it's Ross-Techs software (and it's good software) but they put themselves in a position of Gate-Keepers of all things Audi and I'm just trying to tune my car after my rebuild so I can get another 120.000 miles out of it. I feel like every day it runs without this (for instance my fuel trim is such that I'm making a god-aweful amount of soot) I'm going backwards from what I hoped to accomplish with this project. If someone understands where I'm coming from, and has information germain to this please, I'm all ears. If you need to know what I'm doing with my car, I'm tuning it and learning from it. Help me learn please. Thank you.

The dreaded VVT system

Getting it back in.

Only parts that came over to this build were crank, and block.

All done and road testing.

Old 12-19-2023, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 227 Likes on 191 Posts

1. https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php

2. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/vag-com-discussion-51/