Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Valet Key

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valet Key

Heya Folks,

Does everyone keep their Valet key in the glove box in the 'holder'?

Any reason NOT to? Safety issue??
Old 04-11-2011, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by loscoz
Heya Folks,

Actually, that's probably the worst place to keep it. If someone breaks in, they now can start your car. I'm struggling with what to do with that key (actually called emergency key, not valet), as it only does you any good if you have it when you need it.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I keep my Valet Key for my Toyota in my wallet...just in case I lose my keys (or lock them in the car). It also has a tag with a number/code so I would be able to call for a replacement fob.

The one for my Toyota is tiny....I get my Q5 around the 3rd week of this month, so I'm curious as to whether it will fit in the same spot!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dreamaudi
I keep my Valet Key for my Toyota in my wallet...just in case I lose my keys (or lock them in the car). It also has a tag with a number/code so I would be able to call for a replacement fob.

The one for my Toyota is tiny....I get my Q5 around the 3rd week of this month, so I'm curious as to whether it will fit in the same spot!
No, it won't fit in the same spot. The q5 emergency key fits into a fob that is in the glovebox so you can start the car, if needed. Plus, the mechanical key by itself is an awkward shape and would be uncomfortable to sit on or have in your wallet.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

... and hence the quandary for me as well.

Originally Posted by palumbo3284
No, it won't fit in the same spot. The q5 emergency key fits into a fob that is in the glovebox so you can start the car, if needed. Plus, the mechanical key by itself is an awkward shape and would be uncomfortable to sit on or have in your wallet.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
... and hence the quandary for me as well.
There are magnetic boxes you can buy to stick on the underside of the car. I've used one when I was in college and never had an issue. My valet key is in the glovebox as well. If someone wants to steal it, I might as well make it a little easier for them.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by palumbo3284
...in my case I won't have to worry about sitting on the emergency key's "odd shape" while in my wallet...since my wallet goes in my handbag!

Another reason I tend to keep mine with me is the unfortunate attraction my husband has for my key ring...he frequently takes off with both sets, and without the Valet key, I would have been stranded on several (dozen) occasions!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i only take mine if i'm going on a long distance drive or something...
Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hmn4858
There are magnetic boxes you can buy to stick on the underside of the car. I've used one when I was in college and never had an issue. My valet key is in the glovebox as well. If someone wants to steal it, I might as well make it a little easier for them.
I lost one of those from the underside of my car about 10 years ago, but it was no biggie since my key was only about $5 to duplicate back then...but now I'm a little nervous to do that when it's $100+ to replace a Fob!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by loscoz
Heya Folks,

My contact from Audi suggests keeping it in my wallet (key only) and that is where it is. Key is quite small, don't even notice it.

Quick Reply: Valet Key