Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

VAG-COM confusion... a VAG-COM thread for the simple minded man.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 355 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 123Audi4me
Just be aware that not all the vag-com modifications are possible with a 2013 model. The same is probably true for a 2014. The majority of the favorite mods can be made though.
I know about it, Audi has changed some old modules and coding does not work.

There is also an unofficial announcement that Audi to completely disable the coding in their new models

There is a solution for this problem is called VAS5054 and accompanying software(VAS v19.00) or ODIS v2.0.1 but it's complicated to use

Name:  ScreenShot243_zps93c2a880.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  118.2 KB

Last edited by spijun; 11-20-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
+1

Do not be afraid not difficult and scary as it looks

l]
I made some changes and my car still works. Life is good. ;-)
Old 11-30-2013, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 355 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 914Audi
I made some changes and my car still works. Life is good. ;-)

It was not difficult and complicated doesn't it
Old 12-01-2013, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 123Audi4me
Just be aware that not all the vag-com modifications are possible with a 2013 model. The same is probably true for a 2014. The majority of the favorite mods can be made though.
That's true! The joys of needle swap or gear display are probably worth a shot. I got the scare of my life when I tried to play around and the HUD in my car said ESC Error, please contact service center (or something to that effect), however, after I turned the car off and on, it was fine.

Although, I could never figure out the VIM because my number had a period after 4 digits, it was like 2403.XXXXXXXXXX so is the period included as a digit? or should I omit it? I wasn't too sure hence I'd play with VIM, but everything else looks good
Old 12-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For those who have enabled the euro parking lights, did the rear parking light come on as well or just the front? Only my front came on, which would seem to make more sense that the rear would come on since most cars passing by would see the rear of the car rather than than front?
Old 12-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcutchall
For those who have enabled the euro parking lights, did the rear parking light come on as well or just the front? Only my front came on, which would seem to make more sense that the rear would come on since most cars passing by would see the rear of the car rather than than front?
I'm still researching the same result: only the front LH or RH parking light came on, along with the DRL.
To copy the "European" style, both front and rear parking lights (either RH or LH) should turn on.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got a 2014 Q5 TDI Prestige/S-Line+, and now looking into the various VAG-COM mods. Like others here, been reading/researching. Thinking of picking up the cable/software myself. I've compiled the codes/mods from various sources into a single PDF for convenience. It's attached.

Feel free to let me know of any edits/revisions to this doc.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VAG-COM_Audi_mods.pdf (1.60 MB, 1817 views)
Old 12-04-2013, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Nice compilation!

Originally Posted by Jubz
Just got a 2014 Q5 TDI Prestige/S-Line+, and now looking into the various VAG-COM mods. Like others here, been reading/researching. Thinking of picking up the cable/software myself. I've compiled the codes/mods from various sources into a single PDF for convenience. It's attached.

Feel free to let me know of any edits/revisions to this doc.
I'm sure a lot of Audi owners worldwide will appreciate this!!!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Thanks... very nice !!!

I've been debating whether or not to make the purchase and this was one of the hang ups for me... just seemed like it would be too much work trying to figure out what can be done and how to do it. This just opened my wallet a little further.

You would think Ross Tech would take the time to compile this data (with disclaimers of course) to help with their sales.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 494 Posts
Default If you intend to own Audi's past the factory warranty end date, no brainer...

Even putting the mods aside where you really need the cable, if you intend to own any Audi post factory warranty, you will want the cable and it will pay for itself. The first wrong guess on any major electrical or electronic component on a DIY basis, and it can cost as much or more than the set up. Just before the end of the warranty period (or during for that matter), a scan that finds a single hidden issue you can flag for the service people gets you there too and keeps your car newer and more trouble free.

I have BTDT over the years and Audis as warranties rolled off on hidden things like transient Nav errors, headlight washer solenoids, HVAC stuff and other things. Sometimes a warning light hits the dash like for ABS, TPMSs (on the older sensor system), steering angle sensors, etc., but for the non driveline systems there may well be error codes that don't show as warning lights or something obvious in everyday use. Thus just before the end of the warranty, I always climb all over and under the car for leaks and broken parts, test every button and switch, and run a full scan. As my A8 W12 rolled off, it was literally thousands in warranty repairs in all; the VCDS only type discoverable ones were easily a grand over that vehicle's warranty life, and now that I am on my own post warranty, I avoid guessing too much on expensive systems with non-returnable parts.

Quick Reply: VAG-COM confusion... a VAG-COM thread for the simple minded man.