Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

VAG-COM codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, thanks for your efforts. And thanks to Tony, in case he ever checks in on us.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bayridgeguy
I sent you a PM with a link.
Hello Bayridge, could you please send also to me all the instructions on how to activate DLR's (on the MMI there's no option to activate DLR).

Thanks!!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Patarix
Hello Bayridge, could you please send also to me all the instructions on how to activate DLR's (on the MMI there's no option to activate DLR).

Thanks!!
On U.S. spec cars, just press the CAR button and scroll down to exterior lightning. You should see DRL in one of the sections. Not sure if it's any different for non-U.S. cars.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrV
Thanks! I want the DRL's to remain lit while the turn signal is active
I think this is not a good idea, even a dangerous one
Turn signal is to be strong en easily visible, and that is the reason why DRL-light is dimmed
you are going to make a left-turn hazardous for yourself and for others
Old 09-16-2009, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by guyguyke
I think this is not a good idea, even a dangerous one
Turn signal is to be strong en easily visible, and that is the reason why DRL-light is dimmed
you are going to make a left-turn hazardous for yourself and for others
I disagree. Think about every other car on the road that has DRLs (non LED) that do not turn off when the turn signal is activated...let alone full HID headlights during the day or night. The turn signal is still visible. Additionally, the Q5 has markers on the side mirrors that are visible from the front as well as the side, many other vehicles do not have these. I might be able to understand if the LEDs were actually dimmed as when the headlights come on, but to turn off is overkill. And don't even get me started on drivers who neglect to signal altogether.

Last edited by AudiCO; 09-16-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:45 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Al my VAG-COM changes are done and I am very pleased. The turn signals are easily visable even with the DRL remaining lit. In Canada DRL's have been the norm for years and it's just in the last 2 years that your'e seeing a few new cars that turn them of to signal. It's easier to see the Q5's turn signal with the LED DRL's on, than turn signals on other cars with halogen headlights.
Also consider that at night the headlights remain on when you signal and the headlights are much brighter than the LED DRL's.

I made these changes:
- Lap timer and oil temp readout in centre display
- Gauge sweep
- Convenience window open/close
- DRL remain on with turn signals
Old 10-07-2009, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default VAG-COM Options

I came across this post on another site about a host of possible VAG-COM settings changes. Has anybody messed with any of the once we haven't discussed here before?

The ones which intrigue me which I haven't seen discussed before are: Mirror tilt in reverse and calibrating the computer fuel usage if it is not accurate (seemingly an issue on this board)

Thoughts, and/or other options not mentioned here before?

[Begin Copy Post]

Re: Tilting Side Mirrors

Postby moonan on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:50 pm
Jacky,
There are many things that can be done to any VW - AUDI etc car with the VAG-COM, and some of them will definitely affect your car's drivability and maybe you'd have warranty issues with that.
However, there are many, many minor "tweaks" that can be done by anyone with a VAG-COM. A few of these that I have discovered for the Q5 are:

Mirror Tilt in reverse
Guage test - sweep - on start
Different lights for DRLs (eg front fogs, tail lights etc)
TPMS can be turned ON if you didn't order the car with it.
Reset service interval warning when oil is changed etc.
Also seat belt chime can be turned off (mostly for the yanks - Americans are funny people, they still like to believe that they have a God-given right to be propelled through a windscreen at 60 mph)
You can also set the language for all of the interface stuff, and a whole host of other things.
You can calibrate the fuel usage calculation if it is not accurate.
You can make your rear lights all flash in an emergency braking situation
You can enable a lap timer to appear on the dash.
They won't void your warranty, but the dealer may undo some of them next time your car is hooked up to their computer if they reset it to standard.
I am still looking for the one to increase the number of blinks for lane changing (3 is not enough to give adequate warning) - this I could change on the VW Touareg or Golf but can't find the code for the Q5.

As far as a website with how to do it, VW Vortex has a good reference, and other VW or Audi user sites. There is no list I have found yet specifically for the Q5, but a lot of A4 codes match, I have been testing a few of those with some success.
Mirror tilt is done by:
Go to module 52 Door Elect, Pass., Long Coding, Byte 4. If the byte has value 40 (cars without electrically folding mirrors), change it to 4C. If the byte has value 50 (cars with folding or folding/dimming mirrors), change it to 5C. Recent version of VCDS (VAG-COM) will show function of each bit to confirm if the above values are exactly true. Depending on your car's spec the actual value may vary, but the software will lead you to which bit to change at that address. Sounds wierd I know but it works a treat.

cheers,
..Neil

[End Copy Post]
Old 10-07-2009, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My mirror tilts down without resetting anything with VAG. Just have to turn the dial to the pax position and it works when in reverse.

The ones I have done are the needle sweep, DRL's stay on with turn signal, window convenience (roll up and down with remote) and video in motion (DVD plays on screen when car in moving).
Old 10-07-2009, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hmmm, the comments talked about mirror tilting in reverse, so my assumption was that it had something to do with how you can tilt the whole mirror casing to fit through tight spots or when you leave the vehicle. I was thinking this was some mechanism to tilt the casing in the opposite direction, for some reason.

I could be totally wrong on this, though.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BeachRat
Hmmm, the comments talked about mirror tilting in reverse, so my assumption was that it had something to do with how you can tilt the whole mirror casing to fit through tight spots or when you leave the vehicle. I was thinking this was some mechanism to tilt the casing in the opposite direction, for some reason.

I could be totally wrong on this, though.
You can set the mirrors to "fold in" in MMI so that you can fit into tighter spaces or to avoid someone taking off your mirror on a narrow street.

Quick Reply: VAG-COM codes