Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Ultimate DIY OEM Hitch Guide (Q5/SQ5)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

They should all connect into the control module. I haven't actually installed mine yet, but I'm sure the install guide mentions the connections
Old 01-05-2021, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by rez
A little puzzled by connectors B and C looking like female and the corresponding red and white connectors on the vehicle looking like female as well? Just wondering also if you wouldn’t mind posting a pic of your connections and the controller as well as ground wire in place.

Druck’s use of the Q7 harness intrigues me as well but hoping that he’ll advise regarding how his initial issue was resolved - hoping it was just a VCDS coding issue. If so I might be tempted to try that if I can find a deal.

Thanks!
Roman
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post25468142
Old 01-05-2021, 11:17 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Just got a quote for the control module from local Audi dealer here in Edmonton $C940 😱
Old 01-05-2021, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rez
Just got a quote for the control module from local Audi dealer here in Edmonton $C940 😱
No way, I'm in Edmonton too!

You may have decent luck on ebay for the harness. If not, you can always make one!
Old 01-05-2021, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dudealicious
Thanks for this! I'll add it to the main post!
Old 01-05-2021, 11:22 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Fantastic! Thanks so much - there is hope!
Old 01-07-2021, 11:08 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by woodepic
No way, I'm in Edmonton too!

You may have decent luck on ebay for the harness. If not, you can always make one!
No kidding - small world! Here’s a pic of how Hitch House in the west end did the electrical - worked well last summer when we towed as far as it goes

Today’s activity is that the Q5 is at Continental Auto to get a Malone tune - I guess I’m throwing stuff at the wall and hopefully something sticks😄
Old 01-07-2021, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by rez
No kidding - small world! Here’s a pic of how Hitch House in the west end did the electrical - worked well last summer when we towed as far as it goes

Today’s activity is that the Q5 is at Continental Auto to get a Malone tune - I guess I’m throwing stuff at the wall and hopefully something sticks😄
I originally used that same CURT PWM converter when I was tugging small trailers but then I got a 4000# camper and realized it's probably best to give the car a break by using the OEM control module and letting it reconfigure the important systems.
It's a great little interface that never once threw a code. I'm guessing because it's powered externally.
The following users liked this post:
rez (02-27-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 12:19 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

I originally used that same CURT PWM converter when I was tugging small trailers but then I got a 4000# camper and realized it's probably best to give the car a break by using the OEM control module and letting it reconfigure the important systems.
It's a great little interface that never once threw a code. I'm guessing because it's powered externally.
My OCD side says get the Audi control module but I think I’ll slow down and take this a step at a time - I know the existing “dumb” wiring works so after today’s tune I’ll see how that handles our 2700 lb GVWR RV (Safari Condo Alto 1743) though not taking delivery til May of this year. OTOH if I can find a good deal on a used Audi tow controller and also get confirmation that the Q7 wiring harness will work in this application OCD may still get the best of me and I’d do the upgrade.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, the Q7 harness is confirmed to work. I added a link to a confirmation thread at the bottom of my first post.

Quick Reply: Ultimate DIY OEM Hitch Guide (Q5/SQ5)