Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Trunk door open by itself

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trunk door open by itself

Wow, i've learned something new today that i will watch goign forward. At work today, a colleague came to my office (which is on the 2nd floor away from parking) and said "Did you know the trunk door of your Q5 is wide open". By surprise it was.

After trying to figure out why, i realize that the key and its big buttons, while in my front pocket and i was sitting somehow got press and activated the trunk. Luckly i got nothing stolen. Through the window in my office i can lock/unlock doors, so i tried the trunk.... Ouch it opened, so i had to run for the parking lot.

Is there a way to prevent trunk to open via key button?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zigaroo
Wow, i've learned something new today that i will watch goign forward. At work today, a colleague came to my office (which is on the 2nd floor away from parking) and said "Did you know the trunk door of your Q5 is wide open". By surprise it was.

After trying to figure out why, i realize that the key and its big buttons, while in my front pocket and i was sitting somehow got press and activated the trunk. Luckly i got nothing stolen. Through the window in my office i can lock/unlock doors, so i tried the trunk.... Ouch it opened, so i had to run for the parking lot.

Is there a way to prevent trunk to open via key button?

http://www.parts4euro.com/DCShop/pro...oducts_id=1788

im ordering a pair soon.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a fan of making a large key even bigger with a cover (is that an Audi key in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?).
Old 01-30-2013, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by normp
I'm not a fan of making a large key even bigger with a cover (is that an Audi key in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?).
"Can't it be both? "

A VAG switchblade would be a downsize from my Honda key (separate key and fob). I very much miss my Passat's key, which was easy to pocket and easy to hold and didn't require screwing around with going for key or fob. May be smaller than some of the "remote with keyblade attached" sorts of keys like my dad's Camry, though (but those things are horrible to use and look at!).
Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by idale
"Can't it be both? "

A VAG switchblade would be a downsize from my Honda key (separate key and fob). I very much miss my Passat's key, which was easy to pocket and easy to hold and didn't require screwing around with going for key or fob. May be smaller than some of the "remote with keyblade attached" sorts of keys like my dad's Camry, though (but those things are horrible to use and look at!).
Switchblade? As in the keys Audi used to use 10 years ago? Our keys are just one big plastic/chrome shell with 3 large buttons.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Exact same thing happened to me, but in the parking lot of a Red Lobster. I got a couple of these to solve the problem:

http://www.osirusa.com/mm5/merchant....gory_Code=OAZR

And the increase on the volume of the keyfob is minimal
Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
Bought it. Love it. Valets hate it.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Now if only we could get it to close with the key fob button, that would be a neat trick. And yes, I know about the Kufatech thingy. IMO, it should have come from the factory that way.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say it wouldn't be a huge deal unless you left it open/unattended/in crazy weather open.

My biggest issue would be it opening in the garage and scratching the hell out of the paint.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
Bought it. Love it. Valets hate it.
lol!, ive been wanting to get them.

Quick Reply: Trunk door open by itself