Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

TPMS mystery & VCDS question ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default TPMS mystery & VCDS question ...

On our way to
(see attached image), our Q5 encountered a fairly sharp unmarked bump at construction on the highway there. We were at a reduced speed, but still fast enough that everyone in the car felt the Q5's pain. I soon pulled over for checking wheels & tires, but I didn't see anything obvious, so we continued on. However, 15 minutes later the TPMS warning came on, and the message stated to check all 4 tires instead of any particular tire (which still shows anytime we start the car). I got out, checked all tire pressures and all were very close, and we continued on ...

For the next couple of days I continued to keep and eye on tire pressures, and today I checked the pressures cold -- the LF was 33psi, and all 3 others were 34psi.

I personally enabled TPMS with VCDS, and I do understand that a fault may be also posted after any variety of things, e.g., losing a wheel weight, or damaging a tire sidewall ... still, nothing is obvious, and the car seems fine at 120kph. So, I decided to clear the fault, but continue to keep an eye on it to see if the fault would re-appear. This brings me to my problem ...

The manual states that I should be able to clear the TPMS fault via the MMI (mine is non-NAV)... but I see no such option. I've come to the conclusion that VCDS did enable TPMS, but I somehow did not enable the MMI option to clear it. I cannot find a way to do that anywhere(?) In my case, is VCDS also required to clear the fault? Can anyone help me with how?

EDIT: Google is failing me today! ... still no luck with enabling the MMI TPMS reset, but it would seem to be similar to what anyone would need do if they changed wheels or tires(?) However, I cannot find that option either(?) Let me know if the VCDS log code would be of any help ...
Attached Images  

Last edited by rarewolf; 08-11-2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take the car to a shop and have them check all four wheels. Possibly a bent rim? You've already checked the sidewalls, and I assume no bulging.