Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tow hitch cover retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmiele
Here is a photo of my hitch install on my 3.0T Q5.
Can you provide any info on width/depth of hole you cut? Think I might do the same to mine.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I used HadoukenZR's photos as a guide to do my cutouts. Just go back up this thread and click on his link. I printed out his photo and used that and the guidelines on the back of the panel to make the cutouts.

Tony
Old 11-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Everyone -

Cut my tow hitch cover to fit over the receiver on my 2014 NON-S Line bumper this weekend.

Thanks to help from this thread and the two other “hitch cover cutting” threads here and https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2846639&page=2.

I’ll mostly tow a bike rack (Thule, love it so far), and when I need to use a trailer I can easily pop the cover off to access the wiring.

Tips:
Note that I cheated a little…. I have a milling machine which made the job much easier. Clamped the part into a thick bed of dense foam, and then just cut to my marks.

Make SEVERAL cardboard mock ups before cutting your panel.

Mine is somewhat of a puzzle to install, It goes on “vertically” before I can rotate it to mate all of the tabs.

Also… My hitch was 1/8” (0.125”) off center in the cut out area! Skewed toward the passenger side. I don’t know if this is installation tolerance or by design, but my hitch is NOT centered.

Photos below…

p.s. I also debadged, leaving the “Quattro”, as seen on an A5 near my house.
Attached Images     
Old 11-15-2013, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey all,

Been on the A6 side of things for years, and I just placed an order last night for a Q5. I am going with the port installed hitch, but I forgot to ask the question about the cover and how well hidden these receivers are when not in use. So if I am reading this thread right, the port leaves the plastic part of the bumper behind after cutting it out? After that, I can do a little work and create a cleaner look when the hitch is not in use? It appears hiding the receiver is impossible, but the I can cover a lot of the other stuff? Thanks for the info in advance, I look forward to this Q5. Only draw back is, it is for the wife.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NVThs1
Hey all,

Been on the A6 side of things for years, and I just placed an order last night for a Q5. I am going with the port installed hitch, but I forgot to ask the question about the cover and how well hidden these receivers are when not in use. So if I am reading this thread right, the port leaves the plastic part of the bumper behind after cutting it out? After that, I can do a little work and create a cleaner look when the hitch is not in use? It appears hiding the receiver is impossible, but the I can cover a lot of the other stuff? Thanks for the info in advance, I look forward to this Q5. Only draw back is, it is for the wife.
Yes, yes and yes!
Old 11-16-2013, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey all,

Just to clarify, the port removes the moulded bumper hitch panel, no cutting is involved. In order to reinstall the cover, the owner would need to cut the removed panel such that it fits over the installed hitch.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey all,

Decide on whether you will need to use the electrical trailer plug. I need to use it for a drift boat trailer and left it exposed for easy access. If you will use the hitch for only a bike rack then don't cut out the access for the plug. This will give a much cleaner look near the hitch as other posters have done. Experiment in the cut out area with your cutting device first. There is a fine line between melting and cutting the plastic.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey all,

Don't forget to remind your sales person to remind the guys doing the hitch install at port to leave that cover in the trunk. Some owners never received this cover after port installed hitch.

Here's a pic of my cutout. I improvised and cut less than what the template suggested, so there's more material covering the hitch.
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2013, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dadizon
Don't forget to remind your sales person to remind the guys doing the hitch install at port to leave that cover in the trunk.
Thanks all for confirming my theory based on the thread. Also Dadizon for the idea of telling the dealer. I went under an assumption that the cover would be included. So I will have to let my sales guys know.

So one last question. Is the template on another thread or somewhere easy to find?
Old 11-19-2013, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks all for confirming my theory based on the thread. Also Dadizon for the idea of telling the dealer. I went under an assumption that the cover would be included. So I will have to let my sales guys know.

So one last question. Is the template on another thread or somewhere easy to find?
It takes 10 seconds for a friendly reminder or it can take up to 10 days after the fact when you realize it's not in your vehicle at delivery for them to track it down.

As for the template, it's very easy to find....just flip the cover over

Quick Reply: Tow hitch cover retrofit