Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Thinkware dash cam hard wire install in 2014 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinkware dash cam hard wire install in 2014 Q5

Does anyone know location in either fuse area that will provide continuous power when ignition is off?
Old 12-03-2015, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Driver side fuse box
there are 3 columns of fuse boxes. (Left, Middle, and Right)
Right column has the constant power.
I bought a Audi repair wire from ebay and you can use the slots that are not used, such as climate cup holder, dynamic steering (in my case), and so on.
You can refer to the owner's manual for each slots function.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Will any of those fuse positions give me power when the ignition is off?
Old 12-03-2015, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ALJAN
Will any of those fuse positions give me power when the ignition is off?
Yes. All the positive sides are constant 12V.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. I will try this.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I put a dash cam in the day I rolled off the lot. Grabbed constant and switch power up in the ceiling. Constant from the courtesy/map light and switch from the moon roof. Don't remember exactly the wire colors. Used a test light to figure it out. Wasn't all that difficult. Cam mounts nicely just to the right of the rear view mirror and no running wires all the way to the fuse box.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dudealicious
I put a dash cam in the day I rolled off the lot. Grabbed constant and switch power up in the ceiling. Constant from the courtesy/map light and switch from the moon roof. Don't remember exactly the wire colors. Used a test light to figure it out. Wasn't all that difficult. Cam mounts nicely just to the right of the rear view mirror and no running wires all the way to the fuse box.
I initially hooked up to the map light, but switched to the fuse box since the map light power got cut off after a certain time (MY16).
Old 12-04-2015, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dudealicious
Are you using a rear cam as well?
Old 12-04-2015, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Absolutely. I trust no one here in LA. I once had a girl who rear ended me (in my Bimmer) claim I backed into her doing like 30. She probably would have gotten away with it had I not produced video evidence. I only had a front camera at the time but that was enough to prove I wasn't speeding in reverse.

Also, are you sure about the map light losing constant power? Sure the dome light goes out after a short while but those tiny map lights on either side maintain constant power. I was worried after reading your post and checked my front cam. Sure enough, date & time is still spot on.

Last edited by Dudealicious; 12-04-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ended up using the fuse box on the passenger side. Red wire from hard wire kit to B row fuse #7 and the yellow wire from the hard wire kit to fuse #4 from same bank. The black lead properly secured to the chassis.

Can you please explain the route you used to attach the 20ft connector micro USB cable to hook up the rear view camera to the front camera. Do you find that the dark tint on the rear window adversely affects the image especially at night?

Quick Reply: Thinkware dash cam hard wire install in 2014 Q5