Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Thinking of purchasing an RSQ5 mesh front grille. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by - B -
Has anyone tried an OEM RS5 front plate holder with the JC Sportline RS Q5 grille?

I was going to cut down the JC Sportline front plate holder, but considering the amount of time it will take, I'm thinking of just buying the RS5 front plate holder instead. The plate holders aren't cheap( $194.07), so before i make the leap I want to make sure it will fit. Anyone try it out already?
LOL, seemed like a great alternative until you said $194.07. HA
Old 03-27-2015, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think I received the Euro plate holder. I've a plate from the UK which fits it perfectly and my license plate hangs over the bottom further than what I see in others installed pics. It also has a molded line in it running horizontally. the NA plate appears to be smooth. have emailed Amanda to see what can be done to sort this out.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

SOL for me. No worries, found this at a local auto parts place.

Cruiser Accessories : License Mounting Plate

Will use the honeycomb shaped pcs for installing the euro plate to afix this with maybe a smoked plate cover.
For those installing this yourself, what paint are you using for the styrofoam bumper piece. I've not had much luck finding a water based spray in stores or one without tolulene. Any suggestions or painting tips?
Old 03-31-2015, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Resoom

Will use the honeycomb shaped pcs for installing the euro plate to afix this with maybe a smoked plate cover.
For those installing this yourself, what paint are you using for the styrofoam bumper piece. I've not had much luck finding a water based spray in stores or one without tolulene. Any suggestions or painting tips?
on my 2011 that piece had to be removed and was not placed back upon installation of the new grille. Did not fit
Old 03-31-2015, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Resoom

The styrofoam is removed completely in every install that I have seen.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info. Sounds like just a standard flat black should do the trick. Any thoughts on plastidip or is paint the best bet.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just as an FYI, I just emailed Amanda and she said the group buy price is still available. See her email below:

"It's our pleasure that you heard us from Audi World forum,the group buy is effective all the year.

The black front honeycomb grill with black frame ,fits 2010 audi Q5 (non s-line model),it is 250usd/pc,with parking sensor holes,and license plate (removable) ,and the air freight to the USA is 85usd by EMS."

If everyone so far is happy with the quality & look of their grills I will probably order one as well. I just emailed her to address the packaging concern issue as several people received cracked grills; I also asked her why grills need modification (cut out the bottom). This should be a direct fitment part. How many of you needed to modify the grill? Is it possible that it is a direct replacement for non-sline models, and needs to be modified for s-line/sq5 models? Just curious...
Old 04-10-2015, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

That's great news to hear. I'm very happy with the final product and the fitment of my grille. I know the body shop I used did have to trim off the whole bottom piece but they said it was fairly straight-forward. I think it came out great.

Name:  870ED0D3-D087-4F91-98CD-AE245556C08F.jpg
Views: 2205
Size:  535.1 KB

Name:  A195D352-6B7E-4340-BFDD-99BFD49F608A.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  276.1 KB
Old 04-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BrooklynSQ5
That's great news to hear. I'm very happy with the final product and the fitment of my grille. I know the body shop I used did have to trim off the whole bottom piece but they said it was fairly straight-forward. I think it came out great.

Looks badass!
Old 04-11-2015, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I installed my grille today. Luckily I didnt chop anything off because ZERO MODIFICATIONS had to be made to my grille...

I used the pfd previously posted for the bumper removal and it worked perfectly. You need a Torx 20, I had a socket but would have helped if i had a screwdriver one as well. The hardest part was freeing the clips at the bottom of the grille, which some people seemed to cut off and im not sure why?

I didnt like the mount that came with the grille for the license plate so made my own. Worked great. I painted the bumper with a brush and while it dried installed the license plate. Overall it took me 4 hours from start to finish, but there was some ball throwing in between. I made a timelaspe and will post it soon.

Here are some pics:

Quick Reply: Thinking of purchasing an RSQ5 mesh front grille. Opinions?