Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Thinking about the Q5....again

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Thinking about the Q5....again

In 2009, I leased the brand new Q5 3.2. It was the best handling car I have ever driven; a couple of glitches aside. After 3 years, although my thoughts were to buy out the lease, circumstances dictated that I not buy and ended up leasing a 2013 CRV. Ok, stop laughing.
Money wise, it fit the bill, but the ride is not crisp, nor as solid as I want.
Long story short, I am considering a new Q5 - probably the 2.0. I have test driven the new RDX - nice ride - smooth and quiet, but not that Audi feel and I am not enamored of the exterior looks, nor that busy dash.
Test drove a BMW X1 - the very basic model w/o comfortable seats - not impressed and too small anyhow. May consider the X3.
At 60 y/o, I'm looking to get out of the lease thing and settle down and buy a car. A car that is reliable, fun to drive, good gas mileage. I know no one has that crystal ball, but am I going to regret getting a Q5 or X3 A FEW YEARS DOWN THE ROAD with reliability issues and had chosen the reliable RDX instead?

Bob
Old 06-27-2013, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before we bought our '13 Q5 we cross shopped RDX, X3 and GLK. It came down to the Q5 and X3. No regrets here. We like nearly everything about the Q especially the solid feel and ride/handling for a vehicle like this.

I normally don't keep cars beyond the factory warranty period so long term reliability wasn't a factor. With the newer engines, it seems like the Q5's reliability has been on the upswing in the last couple of years (same with the X3).
Old 06-27-2013, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Bob. So what made you eliminate the RDX? Too soft in the handling department?

B
Old 06-28-2013, 12:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bob m
Thanks Bob. So what made you eliminate the RDX? Too soft in the handling department?

B
Yes, after two new Lexus back to back I wanted something with a little more responsive handling, among other things.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
..., after two new Lexus back to back I wanted something with a little more responsive handling, among other things.
We wanted so much to consider the Lexus RX350, but no dealership here in Newfoundland. Your point regarding handling seems to be the consensus, but from what we had read, Lexus has always been considered the more comfortable ride(?) How would you compare the Q5's comfort with respect to long distance traveling?
Old 06-28-2013, 04:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
In 2009, I leased the brand new Q5 3.2. It was the best handling car I have ever driven; a couple of glitches aside. After 3 years, although my thoughts were to buy out the lease, circumstances dictated that I not buy and ended up leasing a 2013 CRV. Ok, stop laughing.
Money wise, it fit the bill, but the ride is not crisp, nor as solid as I want.
Long story short, I am considering a new Q5 - probably the 2.0. I have test driven the new RDX - nice ride - smooth and quiet, but not that Audi feel and I am not enamored of the exterior looks, nor that busy dash.
Test drove a BMW X1 - the very basic model w/o comfortable seats - not impressed and too small anyhow. May consider the X3.
At 60 y/o, I'm looking to get out of the lease thing and settle down and buy a car. A car that is reliable, fun to drive, good gas mileage. I know no one has that crystal ball, but am I going to regret getting a Q5 or X3 A FEW YEARS DOWN THE ROAD with reliability issues and had chosen the reliable RDX instead?

Bob
How about a VW Tiguan?
Old 06-28-2013, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by oltmannd
How about a VW Tiguan?

I have not driven one, though I here that the driving is tight and fun. BUT at this stage of the game, I'd like a little more luxury and finesse than the VW has - and I am not sure of VW reliability.

Actually, I am going to an AUDI dealer this morning for a test drive of the Q5 2.O.

Bob
Old 06-28-2013, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rarewolf
We wanted so much to consider the Lexus RX350, but no dealership here in Newfoundland. Your point regarding handling seems to be the consensus, but from what we had read, Lexus has always been considered the more comfortable ride(?) How would you compare the Q5's comfort with respect to long distance traveling?
Well, I had the Lexus 350 and the ride was soft - way too soft and the steering unresponsive. No fun to drive at all, and that's when I got my new 2009 Q5; night and day handling. The Q5's seats were good, not great, but I am not tthe norm as I have somewhat of a bad back.

B
Old 06-28-2013, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rarewolf
We haven't taken the Audi on a long distance trip yet, but after several short trips I think the Audi is every bit as comfortable just in different ways. I like the firm but compliant ride. The more responsive steering and handling makes it easier to drive for longer periods. The ride gets a little bouncy on certain pavement but not unpleasant IMO. And surprising, to me, the Q5 is as quiet as the Lexus. So far so good.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
We haven't taken the Audi on a long distance trip yet, but after several short trips I think the Audi is every bit as comfortable just in different ways. I like the firm but compliant ride. The more responsive steering and handling makes it easier to drive for longer periods. The ride gets a little bouncy on certain pavement but not unpleasant IMO. And surprising, to me, the Q5 is as quiet as the Lexus. So far so good.

Agree 100%. Well said.

Again and I'm generalizing, but AUDI/BMW bettering handling more fun to drive. RDX - solid but not as responsive but better reliability.
My concern iS reliability at this point.

B

Last edited by bob m; 06-28-2013 at 05:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about the Q5....again