Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is there a VAG-VOM or Ross-Tech Tutorial thread?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a VAG-VOM or Ross-Tech Tutorial thread?

Just picked up my new 3.0T Q5 (2013 Premium Plus, MMI/Nav, Sport interior, B&O, etc) and am interested in making many of the tweaks that folks have posted about here. Also seems that some (many? all?) of these tweaks can be made through the MMI, without need for Ross-Tech cable/software?

Particularly interested in something I saw in ThunderDent's build thread:

*Enabled Audi Drive Select (ADS). Can set the functionality of the vehicle in the MMI, by changing the Steering and Gearbox between (COMFORT, AUTO, DYNAMIC)

Am I reading this correctly in believing this means that ADS can be "turned on" even if you didn't get that with the car? Or is this tweak merely that you can access the functions from the MMI if you DID GET ADS with the car from the factory?

Would love to track a down a comprehensive list of things that can/could/shouldn't be tweaked.

Please forgive noob naïveté/questions, and thanks in advance for any info and insight!

Ray

Last edited by RJP3; 02-26-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Impossible without VCDS-(Ross-Tech cable / software)

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Project_ADS.html
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-VAG-COM-codes
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-complete-list
http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagCom.html
http://a6retrofit.tripod.com/articles/a5vagcodes.html

In German but Chrome with a translator
http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/audi-q5-8r.php

Last edited by spijun; 02-26-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We could really stand to have these sorts of links stickied somewhere (or a FAQ sticky that links to these sorts of posts for common questions)....
Old 02-26-2013, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by idale
We could really stand to have these sorts of links stickied somewhere (or a FAQ sticky that links to these sorts of posts for common questions)....
Isn't there a whole separate forum (not part of the Q5, A4, TT, etc. forums) dedicated to this stuff?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
Isn't there a whole separate forum (not part of the Q5, A4, TT, etc. forums) dedicated to this stuff?
Generic VAG-COM forum, yeah, it's just nice to have a link sticky for common questions and such in various subforums.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I second this suggestion. A simple A B C thread and a how to of the top 10 fixes for the Q5
Old 02-26-2013, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Otto Man
I second this suggestion. A simple A B C thread and a how to of the top 10 fixes for the Q5
This is a great idea -- a top 10 or so of the most popular fixes or modifications for the Q5 and VAG-COM steps to complete them.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 123Audi4me
This is a great idea -- a top 10 or so of the most popular fixes or modifications for the Q5 and VAG-COM steps to complete them.
Just got my new VCDS this week and have started checking the various links Spijun and others have provided, thanks all. Complete newbee to this so I'm tring to learn as much as possible before I even plug it in. I Agree that it would be great to have Q5 specific mods and detailed instructions all here in one place. Screenshots would be nice as well. Now we just need some veteran volunteers who have time to put it all together. Thunder? I'm sure you're not too busy JK
Old 03-03-2013, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 123Audi4me
Ok, so here's what I did so far. I guess I'll start the list. If you take your time and pay attention you shouldn't have any problems. I read everything I could find on the Ross-Tech site and others before I started. Everything worked the first time for me. I ran an auto scan after the changes to check for faults, everything is clear. Please use at your own risk and look twice before you click!! Will update if I find more I want to do. Have Fun!

Keep LED DRLs on With Turn Signal

[09-Cent. Elect] > [Coding 07] > [Long Coding Helper] > Byte 3 Bit 7 - Change 1 to 0 (or use checkbox)

Enable Gauge Test / Needle Sweep

[17- Instruments] > [Coding 07] > [Long Coding Helper] > Byte 1 Bit 0 - Change 0 to 1 (or use checkbox)

Enable Lap Timer & Oil Temperature on DIS

[17- Instruments] > [Coding 07] > [Long Coding Helper] > Byte 1 Bit 3 - Change 0 to 1 (or use checkbox)

Enable Automatic Gear Selection Shown on DIS (D1-D8 / S1-S8)

[02- Auto Trans] > [Adaptation 10] > Select “Single Gear Display from top channel drop down menu >
Select “D on / S on” from New Value drop down menu

Enable Battery Level Indicator in MMI (Non-NAV)

[56 – Radio] > [Adaptation 10] > Channel 39 > add 16 to the present value

Enable Individual Fog Light to Come on With Turn Signal or Steering Angle

[09-Cent. Elect] > [Coding 07] > [Long Coding Helper] > Byte 4 Bit 0 - Change 0 to 1 (or use checkbox)

Disable Automatic Rear Window Wiper While Reversing

[09-Cent. Elect] > [Security Access 16] (enter code presented by the program) > [Adaptation 10] > Channel 19 change 1 to 0

Operating Windows and Sunroof with Remote

[46 Central Conv.] > [Coding 07] > [Long Coding Helper] > Byte 2 Bit 2 - Change 0 to 1 (or use checkbox)

Select which windows to operate remotely in the MMI

Enable Double Disarm Beep
[46 - Central Conv.] > [Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 63 > Add 4

Enable Adjustable Ambiance/Background lighting (Foot Lighting)
There are two stages to this, one is enabling the Ambiance lighting and the second is activating the menu to control the brightness.

Step One: Enable Ambiance Lighting.

[09 – Cent. Elect.] > [Coding - 07] -> Long Coding Helper -> Byte 16 Bit 6 - Change 0 to 1 (or use checkbox)

Step Two: Enabling the MMI Menu

MMI Basic (Symphony/Concert radio) - (NON-MMI - 2G/3G):

[56 - Radio] > [Coding - 07] -> Long Coding Helper -> Byte 8 Bit 7 - Change 0 to 1 (or use checkbox)
Interior Light Settings active

Last edited by HZ60; 03-10-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Is there a VAG-VOM or Ross-Tech Tutorial thread?