Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 08:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

TDI Issue Potentially Affecting Trade-In.. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you haven't figured this out yet ALL CAR DEALERS ARE SCUM BAGS. They are there to pray on anything. Like a few years ago when gas was sky high. I had a big V8 Chevy truck. They truck was less than 2 years old and mint. It had a msrp of $55,000. They offered me $16,000 trade in. I told them I would just keep it. 6 months later gas went down and I got $34,000 trade in for it. (Btw I was trading for the same style of truck). I ask if they were discounting the new truck $20,000 because gas was so high. I think you know their answer. Right now dealers are riding the TDi wave. They are buying for cheap and when the fix comes and all this blows over they will make bank.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Whatever. From the reports of the way that VW/Audi has been "co-operating" with all parties, including their dealer network, I get the distinct feeling that their fine German engineers have never heard the American engineering maxim "When you are digging in a swamp and up to your *** in alligators, the first thing to do is STOP DIGGING DEEPER."

Reminds me of Richard Nixon, proclaiming to the last that he was completely innocent and just the poor fellow who happened to be surrounded by crooks and thieves. All of who he had naively appointed to their offices of power and trust.

They've missed the window to be heros. Now, they've added solidly to the (wrongful) tale of the original Audi unintended accelerations which nearly killed the brand (2/3 sales loss?) and the bad VW engines with valve seal leaks, AND the newer engines with oil consumption issues...just when they had achieved a sterling reputation and some real market appeal and growth.

At least Kia and Hyundai had the sense to offer 100,000 mile warranties, to assuage customers who KNEW the cars were going to have more than the usual QC issues up front. (And what fine progress they've made since those days.)

I just can't think how they plan their current actions to become a long-term profit, of any kind.
I mean it's mind boggling right? At least Porsche extended the warranties which told their customers they cared but at Audi it's been radio silence since day one. They just did the "me 2" on the credit card offer. Scott is literally asleep at the wheel because when VW is doing more for it's customers than their supposed luxury up line it looks REALLY bad
Old 12-28-2015, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
If you haven't figured this out yet ALL CAR DEALERS ARE SCUM BAGS. They are there to pray on anything. Like a few years ago when gas was sky high. I had a big V8 Chevy truck. They truck was less than 2 years old and mint. It had a msrp of $55,000. They offered me $16,000 trade in. I told them I would just keep it. 6 months later gas went down and I got $34,000 trade in for it. (Btw I was trading for the same style of truck). I ask if they were discounting the new truck $20,000 because gas was so high. I think you know their answer. Right now dealers are riding the TDi wave. They are buying for cheap and when the fix comes and all this blows over they will make bank.
How are they scumbags for not giving you the price you think you should get? It's all about supply, demand, and them being in business to maximize their profit. Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to take their deal, and it sounds like they were not doing anything to deceive you.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
How are they scumbags for not giving you the price you think you should get? It's all about supply, demand, and them being in business to maximize their profit. Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to take their deal, and it sounds like they were not doing anything to deceive you.
Exactly. Offering an absurd amount is a "polite" way of them saying they do not want the vehicle. I would have told him that we have some trucks similar to yours and they aren't moving....so we respectfully decline your trade at this time. Better than losing a potential future customer by throwing out an absurd low ball number. It did make an unfavorable impression, did it not?
Old 12-28-2015, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2.0L TDI owners got a $500 visa to be used anywhere, a $500 visa to be used at Audi for repair/parts, and 3 years road side assistance.

Audi hasn't provided anything for the 3.0L TDI's because they're still fighting with the EPA that nothing is wrong with the 3.0L diesels.

https://www.audiusa.com/about/diesel-information
Old 12-28-2015, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"They truck was less than 2 years old and mint. It had a msrp of $55,000. They offered me $16,000 trade in."
Auto salesmen are routinely, if not ALWAYS, taught to play the "four corners" game on a sheet of paper, noting what you want to buy, what you are trading, if you might trade, what you want your payments to be...a different number in each corner, and then some mysterious calculation that only shows you the "final" price. Whether that's a purchase, or better yet "the mumphly" payment you'll be making (preferably hiding all the details of finance or loans).

In fact in many leases (including Nissan-US) you can't even find the actual interest rate in any form. If you are lucky you will find a "money factor" which is the interest rate times something cryptic like 0.006, so the resulting number is perfectly legible--but no one can tell you what it means as a simple interest rate. Deceptive? Intentional? Legal.

This is done to hide the individual prices, because no matter how they do it, some customers will be insulted any other way. What, I'm only getting 20% off the new car? What, my beloved twenty year old POS is only worth a thousand dollars? What, six year financing is going to cost me HOW much in interest?

So if one of them does something rare like quote what a number is actually going to be...they're still offending someone.

The only real question is how real the numbers are. We had one dealer offering a remarkable $15,500 on a trade-in, for a car that CarMax would have paid 18,000 cash up front for. Same day. Now, that's an insult.

The dealer and everybody that works there is not your friend. They are there to make money, and the successful dealers own dozens of locations, sometimes over a hundred, and many are millionaires or better. There's no "401 (C)" sign over the front door. Some are happy to make a reasonable profit (hell, they may be financing a million dollars plus in even a small inventory) while others want to steal your shorts.

Guess which ones are the most successful, and own those hundred dealerships?

Last edited by Redd; 12-28-2015 at 12:46 PM.