Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tdi emissions fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of what he said.....
Mine is at the dealer now for its second carbon/EGR cleaning.
The lag and performance is crap when the carbon collects. The shift patterns are having a seizure...and my mpg dropped maybe 2-4.
But......10k in your pocket is nice....
Malone tuning just cant crack the transmission codes so that stays the same....so they told me.

Originally Posted by alms_lefko
Your gas mileage will get worse, mine got WAY worse. like 4-5mpg worse. There is more lag off the line now.

But you get a check from VW/Bosh for like $10,000. And an extended warranty from Audi on all things engine/emissions related.

Use it to do a malone tune (that's what I'm going to do)
Old 06-07-2019, 01:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by flybooey
All of what he said.....
Mine is at the dealer now for its second carbon/EGR cleaning.
The lag and performance is crap when the carbon collects. The shift patterns are having a seizure...and my mpg dropped maybe 2-4.
But......10k in your pocket is nice....
Malone tuning just cant crack the transmission codes so that stays the same....so they told me.
The reports of the fix are disappointing. Good luck with the repair.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Cleaned out inspected with a borescope and was remarked to be heavily clogged.....just had it done in Sept/Oct. I asked for a photo prior and never got one.
I guess ill be back in 7-8 months unless I get a Malone tune
Old 06-08-2019, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2 ecu's

Originally Posted by KevinGary
The reports of the fix are disappointing. Good luck with the repair.
What if you had two identical ECU's for your tdi. One programmed with the emissions fix and the other one with a Malone or Rocket chip tune. How easy is it to swap ECU'S back for when dealer is checking warranty work? Is this practical and cost effective?
Just a thought...
Old 06-10-2019, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm gone wait til the last second to get the fix for mine.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is the way to go...
Easy install and removal

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-malone-t...-tdi-3l-002kt/

Originally Posted by rbtrary
What if you had two identical ECU's for your tdi. One programmed with the emissions fix and the other one with a Malone or Rocket chip tune. How easy is it to swap ECU'S back for when dealer is checking warranty work? Is this practical and cost effective?
Just a thought...
Old 06-13-2019, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

^^I wouldn’t assume flashing back to stock will fool Audi if you ever need warranty work. As has been reported for quite some time, their computer can tell *how many times* the ECU has been flashed (not just what the current state of the program is). They already denied warranty work to at least two owners as reported through another forum.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:20 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
^^I wouldn’t assume flashing back to stock will fool Audi if you ever need warranty work. As has been reported for quite some time, their computer can tell *how many times* the ECU has been flashed (not just what the current state of the program is). They already denied warranty work to at least two owners as reported through another forum.
👍👍
Old 06-13-2019, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bpp
👍👍
Actually I was thinking what if you had two physical ecu's. One neutered with the dealer fix for warranty work and one with your favorite tune. Any idea what a spare junkyard ecu would cost or if ECU's are a plug and play item?
Old 06-14-2019, 03:52 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rbtrary
Actually I was thinking what if you had two physical ecu's. One neutered with the dealer fix for warranty work and one with your favorite tune. Any idea what a spare junkyard ecu would cost or if ECU's are a plug and play item?
I had a b8S4 once-upon-a-time was the beta for a tuner. The oe cpu was fried during the flashing process, the tuner bought a virgin replacement cpu for programming. The tuner contacted the factory in Europe for the programming process and wasn't an easy task to get it done. I recall the remote key fob is dedicated to the car and many steps were involved in the overall process for all the 'stuff' to work. Long story short replacing the cpu isn't plug-and- play iirc. Additionally the S4 performance was nasty.

Last edited by bpp; 06-14-2019 at 03:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Tdi emissions fix?