Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tdi emissions fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tdi emissions fix?

Concerned about the emissions fix not sure it’s the right thing to do. Have a q5 tdi. 2016. Any one can give insight plse
Old 06-06-2019, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dianered
Concerned about the emissions fix not sure it’s the right thing to do. Have a q5 tdi. 2016. Any one can give insight plse
Your gas mileage will get worse, mine got WAY worse. like 4-5mpg worse. There is more lag off the line now.

But you get a check from VW/Bosh for like $10,000. And an extended warranty from Audi on all things engine/emissions related.

Use it to do a malone tune (that's what I'm going to do)
Old 06-06-2019, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions tdi. Fix.

Originally Posted by alms_lefko
Your gas mileage will get worse, mine got WAY worse. like 4-5mpg worse. There is more lag off the line now.

But you get a check from VW/Bosh for like $10,000. And an extended warranty from Audi on all things engine/emissions related.

Use it to do a malone tune (that's what I'm going to do)

If I chose not to do the fix anyone know of repercussions ? Ie dealership won’t do repairs?
Due to emissions govt gets involved?
We have 1 Audi dealership in Manitoba with lousy service at best.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If I chose not to do the fix anyone know of repercussions ? Ie dealership won’t do repairs?
Nothing........... they can't force you to do it.... but why turn down free $$?

From what I've researched the malone tune will get your better gas mileage - and better power. it's a no brainer (in my opinion)
Old 06-06-2019, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listed below are the 4 main factors I see on whether doing the fix, outside of individual personal views. I invite others to weigh in and how to mitigate.

1- some locations require emissions test to renew tags/registration.

2- Audi will extend warranty if the fix is done.

3- Audi dealers can tell if the fix is done or was altered, which may give them opportunity to exact premium for any repairs or deny warranty work.

4- Many owners have reported different levels of degradation in performance and fuel economy. Have not heard anything yet on impact to reliability or durability.

As mitigation, I heard that a chip can be easily installed during use and removed before taken car to dealer.

This is chip is reported to improve performance and fuel economy after the Audi fix. Apparently, the dealers cannot detect the use of this chip via any codes, etc, (unless they see the chip installed).

I am am not an expert by any stretch of imagination, and simply shared what I picked up from others. I invite those that know to weigh in

BTW, we have not not tried this chip yet because we are waiting to the end before considering doing the fix.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Sigq5
Listed below are the 4 main factors I see on whether doing the fix, outside of individual personal views. I invite others to weigh in and how to mitigate.

1- some locations require emissions test to renew tags/registration.

2- Audi will extend warranty if the fix is done.

3- Audi dealers can tell if the fix is done or was altered, which may give them opportunity to exact premium for any repairs or deny warranty work.

4- Many owners have reported different levels of degradation in performance and fuel economy. Have not heard anything yet on impact to reliability or durability.

As mitigation, I heard that a chip can be easily installed during use and removed before taken car to dealer.

This is chip is reported to improve performance and fuel economy after the Audi fix. Apparently, the dealers cannot detect the use of this chip via any codes, etc, (unless they see the chip installed).

I am am not an expert by any stretch of imagination, and simply shared what I picked up from others. I invite those that know to weigh in

BTW, we have not not tried this chip yet because we are waiting to the end before considering doing the fix.
The malone tune has some hardware where you can remove the tune and go back to stock before dealer. I'm the same - I will wait a few more miles (at 70k now). Or til the extended warranty expires and then probably tune it.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was pleasantly surprised that mine wasn’t changed all that much. It shifts strangely, engine braking downhill is gone, and my MPG is 1-3 points lower. Between goodwill package, emissions payment and Bosch check I wound up with about $12k. I can live with it
Old 06-06-2019, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

I am waiting until April of 2020, the settlement deadline, at which point I will have approx 109k miles on the odometer. Depending on the impact of the fix I will then either take full advantage of the warranty that will run until I have nearly 160k miles on the odometer, or I will sell it and get a price bump for selling a car with an extended warranty even though it has 109k miles on the clock.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I am waiting until April of 2020, the settlement deadline, at which point I will have approx 109k miles on the odometer. Depending on the impact of the fix I will then either take full advantage of the warranty that will run until I have nearly 160k miles on the odometer, or I will sell it and get a price bump for selling a car with an extended warranty even though it has 109k miles on the clock.
That's a really good idea.... wish I did that!
Old 06-06-2019, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I too will wait until the deadline. In doing so I will continue to enjoy the unadulterated engine/transmission, avoid the potential issues experienced by others and ultimately receive the remaining ~$4,500 along with the extended warranty. In making this decision, I am taking the risk of experiencing some issue that would have been covered by the extended warranty. I only have 57,000 miles on the car now and intend to keep it, unless the fix completely ruins the car, as I buy and keep all my cars for 10 yrs.

Quick Reply: Tdi emissions fix?