Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

TDI for city short trips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by msaudiq5
I agree to pay premium because TDI was my favorite test drive comparing with 3.0 and even SQ5. Just like the feel, sound and 'driving behavior' of diesel .
I think what you said here answers your own question. Get the diesel! Any engine, as several mention, is going to have a tougher time with repeated short trips. So...that being the case, change your oil often, try and warm it up well once in a while, and enjoy the car you wanted. It really is a minimal issue for comparison's sake on reliability.

Honestly, there's no monetary justification for buying a 50k+ SUV for most of us here. It's a want, pure and simple... the need aspect can be filled with hundreds of more efficient/reliable/economical/etc vehicles. Once you've made the leap to getting what you want because you like it, well, why would you then walk backwards in the option-select phase?

Good Luck!
Old 09-09-2015, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by msaudiq5
I agree to pay premium because TDI was my favorite test drive comparing with 3.0 and even SQ5. Just like the feel, sound and 'driving behavior' of diesel .
I've spent hours driving these cars (from working at a local dealership) and I can tell you from my experience the TDI IS the best one. SQ5 is more powerful and faster at higher RPMs but IMO it's not worth the extra cost and decrease in both low-end torque and gas mileage.

Don't worry about only going short distances, the TDI is so good you'll be coming up with some excuse to drive it more often. The TORQUE...
Old 09-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gagethrash
The TORQUE...

Attachment 36216
Old 09-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by amstrad
NICE! I'll admit I wanted TNATRBO (Tina Turbo) for mine, but that was already taken
Old 09-09-2015, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

My daily commute is 13 miles round trip and have just passed 17K on the odometer. No problems to report so far. We do like to go on long road trips and the Q5 TDI is exceptional. Just finished up a 3K mile trip last week to the Great Smoky Mountains and the SC/NC coast. Have also taken it to the Colorado Rockies and the Ozark Mountains, and it isn't even a year old. The vehicle is great on the open road, but runs perfectly in town also.

By the way, Diesel has been well below premium gas prices (as much as $0.30/gallon) for the last four months here in the central plains. I'll have no problem making up the Diesel premium at this rate.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gagethrash
I've spent hours driving these cars (from working at a local dealership) and I can tell you from my experience the TDI IS the best one. SQ5 is more powerful and faster at higher RPMs but IMO it's not worth the extra cost and decrease in both low-end torque and gas mileage.

Don't worry about only going short distances, the TDI is so good you'll be coming up with some excuse to drive it more often. The TORQUE...
I concur..