Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sunroof window exploded at -18C... see pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Q5 sunroof shattered after cold night

When I got into my brand new Q5 today with my 2 small children, shards of glass rained down on us when I closed the front door. When I looked up I noticed the front of the sunroof was completely shattered. The temperature went down to 14 degrees last night and after reading the post here and finding this problem elsewhere on the web, I'm guessing that's the reason. I'm just glad nobody got hurt. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what they say!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

The plot thickens.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Lovely. As my 2012 Q5 sits outside in freezing temps.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

jup, seeing a clear pattern emerging here...
probably tried to remedy the rattling and leaking from previous models, and introduced a crackin' new one

Originally Posted by solucien
would this be something specific to 012 Q5's, and was anything changed from previous model years?
my Q has been through some cold the past winters and so have many others I assume, without any seemingly im- or exploding sunroofs.

just a thought or more like a big question..
Old 01-05-2012, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I hope everyone here is keeping that shade close on the Pano roof during the cold winter months.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Mine just shattered this morning

Came out this morning to find my sunroof shattered after temps of maybe 25 F or so. I have a 2012 q5. Just thought I'd add to the data set.

N
Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This can turn out to be a bigger blunder than the water pump issue. I hope Audi is working hard as we speak on a fix for this dangerous problem. I sure would not want glass raining down on me and my family when driving on a sub freezing day
Old 01-05-2012, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

We probably don't get temperatures cold enough in town but I was visualizing spending a week at the local ski hill then coming back to the Q5 to find the sunroof had broken the first night and the car was now filled with snow (or worse). Maybe I'll just leave it in the garage until Audi figures this one out.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2012 Q5 Sunroof Shattered Low Temps

Our sunroof shattered all by itself, here's the picture from the inside of our 6-week old Q5. Temperatures got cold the night it happened, for the first time this year. I brought it to the dealer this AM, they said "they'd seen this before"
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2012, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Bschachter
I'm in northern VT for a few days and the temp dropped to near zero F last night. When I got in the car today I found glass on the seats and looked up to discover the front sunroof shattered. Definitely not from anything hitting it.. I called the closest dealer in Burlington VT and was told I'm the 2nd call today with the same problem! Audi told him it is an air pressure issue, though seems to me low temp has to be the reason....he then said he needed to order the part from germany so he can't help me if i need it fixed right away. To make a long story short....after striking out with local dealer, roadside assistance, And my dealer in Boston I finally got satisfaction from Audi client relations who was able to convince roadside assistance to tow the car back to Boston and provide a free loaner. We'll see if it all actually happens tomorrow as promised. So far I give Audi a D for customer service...took 4 calls and raising my voice before they finally admitted they had to come get the car and give me a loaner so I can get home. I absolutely love this car otherwise...I hope this is just bad luck.
Do you have the name and number of the customer relations person you spoke with? I am taking a trip from MD to VT for a ski vacation in Feb and am nervous this may happen while at the ski resort and have issues getting back to MD. Hopefully I will not need the info, but might benefit from your time and frustration.

Quick Reply: Sunroof window exploded at -18C... see pictures